Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2001 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Once you go Jeep, you never go steep.
By jeph23

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Jeep now for about a year and I've put on about 20k miles on it. Bought it at 71k miles, it's got 91k on it now. I had to replace the radiator and the TPS sensor. Radiator was cracked before I bought it evidently due to all of the stop leak in it when I took it out. Other than that, this thing has been a dream. The family loves it, it's very roomy, reliable, and so comfortable to drive. For not being a full-size vehicle, you feel like you are in command of the road and plus you aren't taken over by the thing either like a full-size. It laughs at any bad weather condition too. I will be keeping this Jeep for a very long time.

It's gorgeous when it is clean and gorgeous when it's caked in mud! The power behind the 4.0L is awesome even with the A/C on. The drivetrain all together is bulletproof too. I have the basic cloth seats and they are like riding on pillows everyday.

Put gauges in these things, not dummy lights!

Best Truck Ever!
By Cleveland

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I waited years for a Jeep. Wanted A Wrangler, but I am a professional guitarist, and needed the interior room for my gear. I have had this Jeep almost two years now, and have very few complaints. It kills off- road, kills in the snow, and will track through deep mud almost like it's on dry pavement. Handles great on the highway too, although high winds can be an adventure. At over 100,000 miles, it still runs incredibly strong. I regularly take it on long road trips without a second thought. It tends to chew up tires, it's loud, not real cushy, and the fuel economy could be better, but hey, it's a 4WD truck, not a luxury vehicle. I plan to drive it until it croaks or I do.

Tons of torque, and fantastic foul weather/all terrain handling. I would confidently drive this truck in any conditions.

Discontinue all of the ugly and fru- fru, soccer-mom stuff and start making real trucks like the Cherokee again. I used to get sweaty when I saw a Jeep ad, now I just get disappointed.

Like it a lot!
By Spideyfan68

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought mine used with 50,000 miles on it. I have since put another 50,000 on and still going strong. I have had no major repair the normal brakes tires etc. I do need to replace the clutch on the air conditioner compressor that is it. I was thinking about a new car but mine is in such nice shape I think I will keep it a year or two.

I love that it handles like a car. Easy driving.

Not much room for longer legs in back seat. Don't care too much for the way you need to put it in and out of four wheel. My Ranger was much easier. Could have a better stereo.

Mediocre at Best
By jc

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had to have the transmission replaced after 6 years. Of course, I could be dealing with a dishonest repair shop. Chronic problem with number 3 misfire, rattling, drive train seems to clunk in rear and under shifter. I am not rough on the car, I do not off road, but I do use the car off road occasionally for hunting, fishing, or snowy conditions.

It's kind of love hate. I don't want to get rid of it, but I have spent more on my car in repairs in 6 years than on my wife's Honda in 10.

grows on you
By Jay

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Jeep. And I love it. Once you get past the poor gas mileage and lack of creature comforts you realize this is a workhorse SUV meant to take whatever you dish out every day. I do whatever I want with it. Fish, hunt, urban cruising, snow, rain, dirt, etc. I even commute in it. The engine light is annoying but I just consider it an old friend now who comes to visit from time to time. A easy and FREE trip to any auto parts store gets you a free computer reading that tells you to relax about the engine light. Very useful for moving refrigerators, dogs, military gear, bikes, kids, canoes, wood, etc. Easy to clean, easy to dirty. FUN, cheap and reliable.

4.0 motor.

Toyota to design the electronics. Benz to design the seats. Jeep gets the rest.