Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2001 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

A rare right hand drive Cherokee
By hot_burrito_1

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I found my Cherokee on the side of the road for sale. It is a factory right hand drive. Aside from replacing nearly all of the original parts (previous owners were not proactive in taking care of the vehicle), it is a very durable vehicle. I use this vehicle daily to carry mail and it is stronger than the government owned vehicles. It has twice the power. The only downside to the 4.0 is the poor gas mileage. Overall, this is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. The best I have ever owned was a 1984 Honda Accord.

The 4.0 Liter engine has plenty of power. Gets me through the route quickly and safely. Despite poor gas mileage, it is still my favorite vehicle to drive on a daily basis.

Some way to display the codes for the check engine light. Sometimes it comes on and goes out. Sometimes it comes on and stays on. When it stays on, that means there is a real problem. An onboard code reader for the check engine light would be a nice feature for this vehicle.

Watching our Cherokee mature
By Karpindur

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

When we bought it, I had the OEM oil changed to Mobil One. Then I had the transmission and differential changed to Mobil One at 25,000 miles. As near as I can remember, it runs just like the day I drove it off the lot, which is a day I have not regretted so far. To date, the only "major" issue I have had was a failure of the crankshaft and camshaft sensors to the tune of $400. The mechanic seems to have taken me some, as the camshaft sensor was obviously broken but the chances of both failing at once are infinitesimal. Otherwise it has been good to us. Strong, quick, and reliable, it inspires confidence in any traffic, weather or road condition, and looks great doing it.

See above. Also, Jeep really hit on a classic body design with the Cherokee. Notice how all of the others try to incorporate, if not out right copy the Cherokee's handsome understatement.

The back seat can be brutal on long trips, but little chance that Jeep will fix it since the Cherokee has been discontinued. The engine compartment gets incredibly hot and needs better air flow. I'm tempted to install a small hood scoop of some sort if I can find one.

good old jeep
By christine

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Me and my husband got this Jeep after I drove on of his buddy's jeeps. I like his and wanted one. This Jeep has been good to us. Just the normal repairs. We bought it used with 43,000 miles. Good power, goes in snow and mud. I would like to get a brand new one if I could. We have 105,000 miles and it still is going strong.

everything good power, rides nice

bring them back

Stil the best
By chris h.

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

bought this in '05 with 40K on it in showroom new shape , added air raid cold air induction & t/b spacer to up horsepower and save gas (when i could keep from gunning it..WOW) always wanted one and when i finally got it just couldn't get enough. Most people don't get the chance to put a daily driver 4wd to the test but I made sure i did and this vehicle took everything from 3 ft snow drifts to 2ft deep flooded areas like a champ. Make sure you keep up the maintenance and you'll be perfect. Oh and you gotta love that Jeep finally changed the liberty for '08 to look like a modern Cherokee, guess they do listen ;o)

Everything!!!

Aftermarket -cold air induction, performance t/b spacer, heavy duty front pads and look into a hypertech iii for this ..You'll get unreal towing and power and actually get almost 30 mph highway (if you can resist the urge to launch this puppy!!!!!

Jeeperz
By Jeeperz

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Best all around car. Fun on and off road. it's one of three Jeeps we have. I got it with 80K miles and drive it hard. Easy to fix up with many upgrades I can go any where my son goes in his Rubicon

Plain Jane style yet very sporty.

Bring them back to production!