Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Champion
By lhale

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

i bought my Jeep in July 2011 with 170k on the dash. The only thing I've done to this car is give it 4 oil changes. I've taken this car from Charleston SC to Winston Salem NC several times and also to and from Brooklyn NY from Charleston with no problems. I bought the car with low oil pressure but this has not slowed this beast down. I'm a heavy driver and this jeep hangs in there with me. One of the bet buys of my life.

Power in acceleration; box shaped style

leg space for the driver. Driver seat is not for people with long legs

Will be buried in it....
By g2001xj

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

At 45 I feel very COOL driving it. Was lucky to pick one up in 2009 with only 29K miles on it. It still looks and drives like new at 50K now. In bad weather I volunteer to run to the store as an excuse to drive it. I would really love to buy another one someday but as we know that's not going to happen.

Classic and simple All-American look. This may seem corny but I feel proud to be driving it because of that. When I go to the soccer fields I love parking next to a fancy Bimmer or Range Rover and feel completley comfortable in doing so with my Jeep XJ. It does seem that I will go to at least 250K miles with little to no issue as others have proven.

The gas mileage is not that great at 17 combined but its not too bad. I have had the O2 Sensors go bad as many have had. Do wish it had the rear headrests for safety reasons. I also wish the steering were a bit lighter as it is rather "heavy." Wish Chrysler can bring this back somehow. What a huge mistake it was to stop making this one. I'll only buy another Jeep if they come out with a Diesel Wrangler for the US!! Other than that.....forget it; I'll go buy another brand.

Low Maintnance and durable
By Matt

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchase my jeep used with 70k miles in 2004. It now has 122k miles and drives and runs no different than the day I bought it. Only maintenance I have done is change oil, change transmission fluid(once), replace rear shocks (once), and a brake job (once). Jeep has plenty of power and will easily do 100mph. It is durable and handles great in the snow. It can go offroad anywhere 98% of people would need / want to go. I wish it were a little quieter on the road and go better gas mileage (but you can't avoid the fact that it is a box on wheels and about as non-aerodynamical as a car could be).

Torque and acceleration of the 4.0L motor. Reliable 4wd system.

Vehicle not made anymore. Does well for a 10 year old SUV.

My 2001 Jeep Cherokee - A TIME BOMB!
By LKS

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have not had my car 3 years and I just had to replace the engine (3 days after a regular tune-up at the dealership). The car broke down on a highway 130 miles from home. So far I have paid 3K out of pocket for thsi incident. Chrysler paid for parts b/c they know they made a poor quality engine. To top it all off - 1 day after picking my car up from the dealer with the new engine - the car broke down again - and I had to have the radiator replaced. I have always done all of the suggested maintinence on the car and should not have had this trouble.

Stand behind the QUALITY of your car - and MAKE a QUALITY car.

Great Car
By tinad

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy driving my Jeep. It accelerates smoothly and feels like a car on the open highway. The handling and performance is very good and the Classic style is very nice.

Body, glossy paint, performance

Gas mileage, placement of brake pedal