2001 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
180000 miles great SUV until it was totalled
By dgh53 on 03/25/14 18:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Jeep Cherokee 2001 Sport 4 dr 4x4 was one dependable vehicle. It did need a radiator after like ten years and a new a/c compressor but other than those items it was just great. Really going to miss it. A driver went left of center and totalled it on my wife. The airbags went off, and she did not even get a scratch my wife, the Jeep not so lucky front left fender , bumper, grill, wheel,suspension all took the hit. I would buy a new one if they still made them. Door still opened on driver side after the crash.

It was fun and real but not real fun
By prodigy1 on 10/10/13 11:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2001 jeep cherokee classic 4x4 with 15k miles on it and was pleased with it but in a middle of the road way. It was very reliable and durable but it was a jeep. Every one had one at the time and you couldn't pick kit out in a parking lot. It was loud and rough riding (I know it wasn't made for comfort) but in an kidney bursting way. Don't get me wrong it was a great car that never gave me trouble and was fare offroad but being a car guy I could never really like it enough to the point I loved to drive it or wanted to keep it. When we sold it the family didn't even blink, when we sold the hummer h3 my son cried and kissed it on the fender and said we will miss you lol.

Perfect on all counts!
By phiner913 on 08/29/12 09:29 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I ran into this car on a lot with 140k on the counter, I had no hesitation. I know several people sitting at well over 300k still driving them daily, and they are not the most maintenance minded people in the world. I bought my jeep as a car to park at the airport every week when I travel for work, but have quickly found myself driving it more than my brand new silverado or my wife's Lexus. With the farmer's almanac predictions for this winter on the east coast I absolutely can't wait to take this billy goat out playing in the snow on the way to go snowboarding. If you find one regardless of the miles buy it fast, it will last forever and is easy to fix on the rare chance it breaks.

Dream vehicle-Ol' Blue
By cardinalgirl on 07/29/12 00:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

11 years old and deserves a garage and to take a break from the St. Louis summer heat. This is the best vehicle I will ever own. Its only downside is the a/c which is why I bought another car to tag team the seasons. Since 2001, I have replaced the evap core, compressor and engine thermostat (just to be on the safe side, problem cleared). I just don't care that I blew the front speakers and time did its thing to the headliner. The original battery lasted more than 6 years. The back brakes are original at 73k. Nothing is better than driving this car in any situation, any terrain. I haven't shoveled snow in my driveway for 11 yrs. Independence and laziness at its finest.

Best choice for a second vehicle or fun toy.
By stimp on 07/21/12 22:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had company vehicles for a long time and in 2011 lost my job and wheels due to this recession. I needed to buy a vehicle. I needed the price low enough i could pay cash. it needed to be reliable and not prone to engine or trans work. I have been a jeep fan for a while. owned two grand cherokee with no major problems. Anyway so I decided on the old school cherokee because I love its looks. its known for rock solid inline 6 cylinder 4.0L and solid transmission. any smaller problems i will fix myself with the help of the many cherokee fan forums. trust me these guys know everything and are very willing to lend a hand. this is the best bargain out there.

The engine may outlast me!
By oldg5 on 04/24/12 08:03 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the second Cherokee I've owned. The first was an '87 that lasted 250k and would've gone longer had I not gotten water in the engine. For this reason, I decided to get a new one in 2000 (2001 model) and have not regretted it. The inline, cast iron, 6 cylinder engine will last a lifetime! Things to look for; The rear main oil seal will leak at some point (both of mine happened around 100k miles), it's a gas guzzler, the valve cover will leak at some point (easy/cheap DIY), though my 2001 has yet to do this (140k), and the front rotors warp easily. I replaced my rotors with cross-drilled rotors that last longer, stop faster and cost less than OEM. very reliable vehicle!

Champion
By lhale on 01/20/12 08:27 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

i bought my Jeep in July 2011 with 170k on the dash. The only thing I've done to this car is give it 4 oil changes. I've taken this car from Charleston SC to Winston Salem NC several times and also to and from Brooklyn NY from Charleston with no problems. I bought the car with low oil pressure but this has not slowed this beast down. I'm a heavy driver and this jeep hangs in there with me. One of the bet buys of my life.

What a mess
By lordmetalz28 on 11/21/11 20:09 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Worst vehicle ive ever owned. bought it with 72k for 10k in 2005 110k now. no kidding i have never had this truck 100 percent since the day i drove it off the lot. its always been something. hood cable 5X window regulators 10x valve cover gasket, oil adapter gasket. evap coil 2x. wheel bearing 3x. leaks water from every gasket. oil from every gasket. electrical system is falling apart. Not to mention its terrible on gas. have to be in 4x4 to make it thru a 1/4 inch of snow. 4wd indicator switch 8x and the new one just broke. this jeep is so piss poor i bought a 2006 mazda because i didnt trust the jeep and the mazda is no good!! yet another bad dicision the jeep forced me to make.

Reliable
By kozmikgene on 11/08/11 07:39 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just turned over 200,000 miles and I have only changed the oil about 15 times. My Cherokee Sport still runs strong and if I had been a bit better with maintenance I believe it would easily turn 300k. If you find one of these gems don't be afraid of it if it has some miles on it you will easily see 200k. My mechanic says these engines are bullet proof, and the only reason he has seen it is for the 3 radiators it has gone through. We have recently endured a terrible snow storm that downed many trees, my Jeep got me home safe with some of the nastiest four wheel off roading it has been through!

Will be buried in it....
By g2001xj on 08/16/11 08:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

At 45 I feel very COOL driving it. Was lucky to pick one up in 2009 with only 29K miles on it. It still looks and drives like new at 50K now. In bad weather I volunteer to run to the store as an excuse to drive it. I would really love to buy another one someday but as we know that's not going to happen.