Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2001 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

180000 miles great SUV until it was totalled
By dgh53

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Jeep Cherokee 2001 Sport 4 dr 4x4 was one dependable vehicle. It did need a radiator after like ten years and a new a/c compressor but other than those items it was just great. Really going to miss it. A driver went left of center and totalled it on my wife. The airbags went off, and she did not even get a scratch my wife, the Jeep not so lucky front left fender , bumper, grill, wheel,suspension all took the hit. I would buy a new one if they still made them. Door still opened on driver side after the crash.

Favorite Features

The ground clearance could not of been any more perfect. The tires were a great size not oversized, but just right for the vehicle and also since they were sixteen inch rims the price to replace the tires was always right around a hundred or less for a good Goodyear or Firestone top line tire. The steering wheel feed back a great feature compared to the new cars today. The brake pedal feels solid not mush like many cars, you knew how much brake you were going to get just with the pedal pressure.

Suggested Improvements

Would of liked to of been able to electonically disengage the front hubs like a Warn hub would of been a great feture on the vehicle. Could of used padded rear seat arm rest the hard plastic rear seat armrests are really unacceptable in a modern vehicle with rear seats .

It was fun and real but not real fun
By prodigy1

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2001 jeep cherokee classic 4x4 with 15k miles on it and was pleased with it but in a middle of the road way. It was very reliable and durable but it was a jeep. Every one had one at the time and you couldn't pick kit out in a parking lot. It was loud and rough riding (I know it wasn't made for comfort) but in an kidney bursting way. Don't get me wrong it was a great car that never gave me trouble and was fare offroad but being a car guy I could never really like it enough to the point I loved to drive it or wanted to keep it. When we sold it the family didn't even blink, when we sold the hummer h3 my son cried and kissed it on the fender and said we will miss you lol.

Favorite Features

That straight six 4.0. They killed jeep when they stopped making that motor.

Perfect on all counts!
By phiner913

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I ran into this car on a lot with 140k on the counter, I had no hesitation. I know several people sitting at well over 300k still driving them daily, and they are not the most maintenance minded people in the world. I bought my jeep as a car to park at the airport every week when I travel for work, but have quickly found myself driving it more than my brand new silverado or my wife's Lexus. With the farmer's almanac predictions for this winter on the east coast I absolutely can't wait to take this billy goat out playing in the snow on the way to go snowboarding. If you find one regardless of the miles buy it fast, it will last forever and is easy to fix on the rare chance it breaks.

Dream vehicle-Ol' Blue
By cardinalgirl

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

11 years old and deserves a garage and to take a break from the St. Louis summer heat. This is the best vehicle I will ever own. Its only downside is the a/c which is why I bought another car to tag team the seasons. Since 2001, I have replaced the evap core, compressor and engine thermostat (just to be on the safe side, problem cleared). I just don't care that I blew the front speakers and time did its thing to the headliner. The original battery lasted more than 6 years. The back brakes are original at 73k. Nothing is better than driving this car in any situation, any terrain. I haven't shoveled snow in my driveway for 11 yrs. Independence and laziness at its finest.

Favorite Features

All of it.

Suggested Improvements

ha.

Best choice for a second vehicle or fun toy.
By stimp

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had company vehicles for a long time and in 2011 lost my job and wheels due to this recession. I needed to buy a vehicle. I needed the price low enough i could pay cash. it needed to be reliable and not prone to engine or trans work. I have been a jeep fan for a while. owned two grand cherokee with no major problems. Anyway so I decided on the old school cherokee because I love its looks. its known for rock solid inline 6 cylinder 4.0L and solid transmission. any smaller problems i will fix myself with the help of the many cherokee fan forums. trust me these guys know everything and are very willing to lend a hand. this is the best bargain out there.

Favorite Features

I actually really like the torquey feeling of the engine and how it rides like a jeep. its not a cushy soft escalade type ride. its like a jeep wrangler ride.

Suggested Improvements

All vehicles have their noted design flaws. do your research and learn what they are. mine is a 2001 and is known to get a leaking evaporator core which is a $1200 repair. I fixed it myself over 3 days for $300 in parts, and I am mechanically inclined but not a mechanic of any kind. mine also has a problem with the instrument cluster not working at times. i am fixing that next. otherwise since i bought it just ad gas and go.