You know you're getting there in a cherokee
By maxxoccupancy on
2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD
I have had this vehicle for about 15,000 miles, and I have been very happy with it. It is as capable off road as off, and there are thousands of modifications for these vehicles. Whether you want to hit the trails or brave New England winters, these are some of the best vehicles for the money. The Cherokee is also one of the safest, toughest vehicles on the road.
Favorite Features
Solid front axle, well built, light weight, great handling and acceleration. I've never been in an SUV that can keep up with a Mustang. The classic look is great, and the Cherokee corners like a good sports sedan. These powertrains are famous for their 200,000+ mile "break-in period." I never feel like I am going to be left behind, or that I will not be able to keep up with traffic around town. Despite 70 cu.ft of carrying capacity, the Cherokee gets about 16/23 mpg.
Suggested Improvements
Interior controls should be more straightforward (like a bmw). Exterior should be more streamlined, and rear leaf springs should be replaced with something that doesn't sag after 20,000 miles. This is a common problem with the Cherokee's, as are the A/C and master control panel on the driver's door. Jeep should bring back the original Cherokee, but with better seats and the spare tire behind the liftgate--which also looks cooler. The headers on these sometimes crack, and they need to use large disc brakes all around. The intake should be revised and brought down through the hood to prevent hydrolock, and locking differentials should simply be standard. Bumpers should be tougher.