The Best SUV Ever
By jmtrumpet on
2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD
The original SUV was, and is the best. It's reasonably economical, quick and agile, and combines the ruggedness of a true truck frame with agility (the agility is helped by the aftermarket, stiffer shocks I installed along with slightly wider high-performance tires). And it can go pretty much anywhere. My 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0 has more than 180,000 miles on it - yet when I change the oil after 4000 miles, the dipstick still shows full! I've never had an engine with this level of longevity. With its NP242 Selec-Trac transfer case, in addition to 2WD and 4WD Hi & Lo it also has Full Time All-Wheel Drive - in this mode on wet pavement it's like having an Audi Quattro or BMW X-Drive.
Favorite Features
Engine with plenty of Torque that uses no oil even at 180,000+ miles. The Selec-Trac transfer case that has a full time All-Wheel Drive mode. Robust transmission that still shifts crisply as if it were new though it now has 180,000+ miles. Its light weight which helps it to have fast acceleration. Small size on the outside, making it agile and easy to find parking places when in the city. Classic good looks. Bullet-proof reliability.