2000 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Review: Old Faithful

2000 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Review

Old Faithful
By ScottR on

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my Cherokee brand new in 2000, and upgraded to a Wrangler in 2008, 120K miles later. I still have the old Jeep and use it for Home Depot runs and driving in the snow when my wife is using the Wrangler. I beat the heck out of it in the first few years, and honestly didn't maintain it too well. But it's a workhorse; except for brakes, tires, fluids and filters, it still has 100% original parts, has never left me stranded and to this day the engine starts right up on the hottest and coldest days, and the drive train still performs like new. Those I-6 engines have to be the best-built engines around -- I wish they still put them in the Wranglers.

Reliability, solid off-road/snow performance, interior cargo space + roof rack, and it's all-around fun to drive because you just can't break it. Easy to maintain -- I've done all the brake work and fluid changes myself over the years, and everything is accessible and straightforward.

None. It was never sold as a luxury car, a speed machine, a rock crawler, nor a "green" SUV, so it's unreasonable to expect any of those things from it. It's just a solid box on wheels that lets you go where you want, when you want, and doesn't let you down.