Used 2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Great for a Jeep
By tedmoseby

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my previously leased Limited and have put about 60,000k on it since 2003. It's a very reliable car, but even fully loaded it's becoming a relic very quickly. I will probably run this thing to 300k just to see if I can(they say the I-6 is rated for 300k), but my wife just bought an '08 CR-V and she has about 50 more options on her vehicle than mine. Plus her v-4 engine feels more powerful than my I-6. I love the 4 wheel drive, it handles great in snow here in Colorado. The only problem is the back seat is not comfortable, and even fully loaded, there aren't a whole lot of amenities on this car. For a Cherokee though it's the best you can get, unless you want to pay 40k for a Grand.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive, really the best reason to buy a Jeep. Handles excellent and the Limited edition has great options like fog lights, leather interior (good not great) and extra overhead storage for sun glasses and garage opener. Cruise control also standard. Better rims.

Suggested Improvements

I have had to replace the entire A/C system over the course of 2 years. Even with a great mechanic I know who got the parts cheaper than chain stores it set me back about $1,300. The back doors do not open all the way, something important when you have to put a car seat back there.

Starting to dim at 90K
By Bob V.

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

I have really been pleased with it. However, at 90K the rear differential has got noisy (an $1800. repair if you don't like noise). This Jeep eats brakes like french fries. I'm on my 5th set. The AC controls are breaking down also. I was hoping for 125K, before retiring it, but I'm wondering what's next. I paid 17K new. No absolute major repairs.

Favorite Features

Handling and simplicity

Suggested Improvements

Out of production

Off road Jeep that can handle the city
By Jeepin

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Ok to start off this is my second Jeep Cherokee as I hydolocked my last one, oops. I had to buy the Cherokee again as I am very impressed with its ability to handle difficult off-road situations without mechanical failure, a very reasuring feeling. The 6-cyl has the power on the road and on the trail. 4x4 is great in deep snow, sand and steep trail riding. I wish they would put the Cherokee back in production. I modified my Jeep to include a snorkel for deep water protection and performance, pretty sweet mod. Added Grill guard, wrench, skid plates, lift kit, serious roof rack. Solar power to keep battery tip-top, Hella Fog lights, air compressor, in dash GPS, laptop mount I love my Jeep!

Favorite Features

4x4 works great in snow, sand. 6 cyl is perfect. Great interior, dash, guages, cup holders. Easy to work on and modify. Reasonably cheap after market parts. Reliable heater. Manual transmission is awesome and automatic is responsive

Suggested Improvements

Diff. locker option. Power lift gate window option. Skid plate options. Hybrid option and/or diesel engine. Build a more reliable AC system

Great Jeep
By Relentless

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 2000 4dr 4x4 I bought used with 33,000 miles on it in 2003. This thing has been mechanically rock solid. It's getting older and my cruise control went out on me. But that is the only real problem I've had and I'm about ready to turn 90,000 miles of daily driver torture on this thing. Parts are super cheap and plentiful. Easy to work on. I still like driving this thing, and I look forward to snowy days. If I ever sell it I know I will miss it.

Favorite Features

Its dependability.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By Jill

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been the best vehicle I've owned. Although it has been in the shop a few times (it's a Jeep) it's still going. It gets me where I need to go when and how I need to get there. As a jeep that is stock, it outperforms some of its competitors in the off-roading department. My brother also has one. He has a great photo of his jeep pulling a Ford 4x4 (with all the extra add-ons for four- wheeling) out of the mud. If you're looking for an SUV that can haul, tow, drive through snow and mud w/o any difficulties, Jeep is the one! One more thing. When the back seat is folded flat, I can fit a dining room set with six chairs and the table. Tons of room!

Favorite Features

The 4.0 liter. I have the Sport package so it's perfect for me. Lots of storage room.

Suggested Improvements

They need to bring back the Cherokee. The Commander is too fancy, Liberty is too small, Patriot has no power. I agree with everyone about the leg/head room. Could use more.