Used 2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Most Helpful|
Still going and going
By christopherM

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This baby has never let me down. It even ran on little transmission fluid not once but twice. Two great stories. No major difficulties. I have kept the maintenance well and she has never let me down. Multiple trips from DC area to Buffalo in winter and no concerns. Great off road ability not like todays small SUV's (overgrown station wagons) A great reliable vehicle, I'm glad I get to keep it and am upset I have to get a commuter car to save on gas. New brakes at 52000 miles, now have over 117k and no problems, still has original shocks, which do need replaced by now. otherwise, it keeps going. wish new jeeps were this reliable bring back the 4.0 or the equivalent diesel.

Favorite Features

Can go through anything, small enough to cut through places these monsters now wish they could. Hummer who? classic styling, no major mechanical defects, did have an idlying problem that took some time to get it right, but otherwise no concerns. Can pull its weight with the big boys

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. highway is not bad, but I live in hilly suburbs and need a different commuter car now that I'm over 100k and drive 37 miles each way to work.

Loved it up to the moment it got totaled
By Ron Carter

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Love my Jeep. Bought 2 in a row and love the first one as well. Never a problem, you can't kill that 4.0 motor. Wish they would bring it back. Easy to drive on the long haul or around town. Towed my boat and camper across many states and loved every minute of it. The back seat legroom area was getting a little small for my 5-10 boys. Other than that, we love the ole' jeep. It got totaled , I mean really totaled but, if it weren't for the Jeep, I may not have walked away from the accident.

Favorite Features

fun to drive, easy to work on-not that it needed much, reliable!!!

Suggested Improvements

make the vehicle about 6 inches longer and put every inch of it in the back seat area.

You know you're getting there in a cherokee
By maxxoccupancy

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this vehicle for about 15,000 miles, and I have been very happy with it. It is as capable off road as off, and there are thousands of modifications for these vehicles. Whether you want to hit the trails or brave New England winters, these are some of the best vehicles for the money. The Cherokee is also one of the safest, toughest vehicles on the road.

Favorite Features

Solid front axle, well built, light weight, great handling and acceleration. I've never been in an SUV that can keep up with a Mustang. The classic look is great, and the Cherokee corners like a good sports sedan. These powertrains are famous for their 200,000+ mile "break-in period." I never feel like I am going to be left behind, or that I will not be able to keep up with traffic around town. Despite 70 cu.ft of carrying capacity, the Cherokee gets about 16/23 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Interior controls should be more straightforward (like a bmw). Exterior should be more streamlined, and rear leaf springs should be replaced with something that doesn't sag after 20,000 miles. This is a common problem with the Cherokee's, as are the A/C and master control panel on the driver's door. Jeep should bring back the original Cherokee, but with better seats and the spare tire behind the liftgate--which also looks cooler. The headers on these sometimes crack, and they need to use large disc brakes all around. The intake should be revised and brought down through the hood to prevent hydrolock, and locking differentials should simply be standard. Bumpers should be tougher.

forrest service "Gump" green
By mintjeeplup

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

Got my cherokee @ govt. auction 2 years ago with 63000 miles ..Its the forrest service green an uglier colour than even shrek after a night of drinking..this does not distract from special forrest service options like steel gas tank skid plate and other skid plates protecting the underside..now my jeep has 67000 miles and real nice rims it aint the workhorse in my fleet of cars..that is my 1992 cherokee also with the great straght 6 motor...the 2000 is my 5th jeep with the straight 6 and runs smoother stronger and faster than the others ever did. a truely rugged vehicle..buy one or two..YEA

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By Jill

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been the best vehicle I've owned. Although it has been in the shop a few times (it's a Jeep) it's still going. It gets me where I need to go when and how I need to get there. As a jeep that is stock, it outperforms some of its competitors in the off-roading department. My brother also has one. He has a great photo of his jeep pulling a Ford 4x4 (with all the extra add-ons for four- wheeling) out of the mud. If you're looking for an SUV that can haul, tow, drive through snow and mud w/o any difficulties, Jeep is the one! One more thing. When the back seat is folded flat, I can fit a dining room set with six chairs and the table. Tons of room!

Favorite Features

The 4.0 liter. I have the Sport package so it's perfect for me. Lots of storage room.

Suggested Improvements

They need to bring back the Cherokee. The Commander is too fancy, Liberty is too small, Patriot has no power. I agree with everyone about the leg/head room. Could use more.