2000 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
The Family Truckster
By WillieG on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

All in all my Jeep has been a good reliable friend. Better than expected acceleration from the 4.0 liter six with decent torque for passing. Have put 55,000 miles on it and has never failed to start or left me stranded. Excellent handling both on and off- road, well for a SUV anyway. Love the classic looks of the exterior, but the interior could stand a bit more room, especially in the back seat. Gas mileage has been in the 18-22 mpg range since new. Only real gripe is it's tendency to eat up front brakes and rotors. Replaced the pads twice and had the rotors machined three times and replaced once for warping and vibration.

If you hadn't stopped making it.......
By b81651 on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I leased my vehicle new in Jan, 2000. As like many others, its been in for (2) sets of front rotors and brakes. For those of you that keep loosing coolant "Guess what - it's the cracked head!! that the dealers failed to notice all (6) times that I brought it back!" It's been a joy to own otherwise and wish they hadn't discontinued it for that hideous Liberty. Maybe if you bring it back with all of the improvements that you put on the Grand Cherokee, I just might buy another one!!

my ride
By ecstasy on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

It's defenitely a step down from my explorer in comfort/size. However I get better milage and better performance. It handles dirt roads at fast speeds and in 2-wheel-drive mode it can smoke the tires. Responsive accelerator, not the best braking. Very small in the back compared to a Ford Explorer. My roomate who is 6'5" hates it because it is too small. The ladies love it.

Paul's review
By Pmonee on 09/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I leased this Jeep in Feb. 2000. I must say for the dollar it is a excellent choice. There are a few issues that I have with this vehicle: 1. Eats brakes and rotors on a reguler basis, has been back to jeep once a year for new rotors and pads. 2.Interior space is not on par with other SUV's out there. 3.Drivetrain noise is very high, but I have been told "It is a Jeep, not a Lexus." For the money, Chrysler did a competent job. But for the same money others are doing it better.

Excellent SUV
By British Bernie on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV

I love my Jeep Cherokee. It's an excellent SUV! It is primarily used as a company car, but it gives me great pleasure for weekend use. I would rate this vehicle as one of the most practical SUV's in its price range.

The Great Jeep
By TJL on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jeep, it is my third one in about 6 years, my wife and I have two right now and love them both. Reliablity is great, they have never let me down. Use the 4wd lots and you can't stop them in the snow. Would highly suggest them to anybody who needs a rugged SUV.

My Cherokee the money pit
By joey appleseed on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

To begin with, when I bought my Jeep it was the dream 4wd vehicle that I wanted. But, since I left the lot I have had numerous problems with my Jeep. I bought my truck with 3 miles and at 5 miles my back rotor was falling off! Dealer replaced for some reason rather than putting the original correctly back on. Since then, I have gone to the dealer about 4 times about my antifreeze depleting every 100 miles I have to refill. Now I am having serious trouble with my oil pressure. 3 visits to the dealership has cost me about $1200 and still I do not have any oil pressure when a stop. Now I am trying to see if my situation was possibly a lemon.

First SUV-Disappointed
By dcn821 on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Leased it in September of 2000. Tremendous ability in the snow but that's about it. Had front brake rotors replaced at 6000 miles due to warping. Then had new rotors resurfaced at 17,000 miles due to warping. Nobody at the dealership can tell me why this vehicle is burning up front rotors. I have an annoying whine coming from the transmission area but the dealership says that's normal. Thank God it's a 3 year lease with a waranty. Looking forward to getting rid of it.

RETHINK YOUR PURCHASE
By DUKE on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV

Hind-sight is always 20/20 and I really wish we would have listened to the advise of others. Our Jeep has been towed so many times to the dealer for various problems, it's a shame we don't get frequent flyer miles! I could list a whole variety of problems, but if replacing a transmission at 31K miles doesn't tell you everything, please contact me and I would be very willing to sell my Jeep to you!

An off-road beast
By Billy Elliott on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I tend to drive my trucks hard with lots of off-road time, but the Cherokee has never failed me.