Used 2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

The Best SUV Ever
By jmtrumpet

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

The original SUV was, and is the best. It's reasonably economical, quick and agile, and combines the ruggedness of a true truck frame with agility (the agility is helped by the aftermarket, stiffer shocks I installed along with slightly wider high-performance tires). And it can go pretty much anywhere. My 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0 has more than 180,000 miles on it - yet when I change the oil after 4000 miles, the dipstick still shows full! I've never had an engine with this level of longevity. With its NP242 Selec-Trac transfer case, in addition to 2WD and 4WD Hi & Lo it also has Full Time All-Wheel Drive - in this mode on wet pavement it's like having an Audi Quattro or BMW X-Drive.

Favorite Features

Engine with plenty of Torque that uses no oil even at 180,000+ miles. The Selec-Trac transfer case that has a full time All-Wheel Drive mode. Robust transmission that still shifts crisply as if it were new though it now has 180,000+ miles. Its light weight which helps it to have fast acceleration. Small size on the outside, making it agile and easy to find parking places when in the city. Classic good looks. Bullet-proof reliability.

Best Vehicle EVER!!!
By avhowe

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 7 years ago and loved it! It took me everywhere and could do about anything. Ride was a bit rough, but that's a Jeep. Last month I was hit in the rear by an Expedition doing 60 mph. I made it through the accident with only a mild concussion, unfortunately, my Jeep did not make it. It was still going strong with 161,000 miles on it. I miss driving it everyday. I am now out looking for a new Jeep, but only go with used because I want the 4.0L I6 motor!!

forrest service "Gump" green
By mintjeeplup

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

Got my cherokee @ govt. auction 2 years ago with 63000 miles ..Its the forrest service green an uglier colour than even shrek after a night of drinking..this does not distract from special forrest service options like steel gas tank skid plate and other skid plates protecting the underside..now my jeep has 67000 miles and real nice rims it aint the workhorse in my fleet of cars..that is my 1992 cherokee also with the great straght 6 motor...the 2000 is my 5th jeep with the straight 6 and runs smoother stronger and faster than the others ever did. a truely rugged vehicle..buy one or two..YEA

I can't let her go 2000 jeep cherokee 4x4
By 107wood

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a newer F-150 so I no longer had a need for my jeep so i decieded to sell it. I washed it, waxed it, painted the mouldings and bumpers with bumper paint, touched up the finish coat, cleaned the rust off the steel rims, steam cleaned the interior. I've now decided to keep her and sell my truck. This has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned. After 7 years and 90K (bought it with 65K) I have had no major repairs. The only issues I've had is with the suspension but it's all maintenance items.

Favorite Features

Go in the snow....can't be stopped. I've actually tried to get stuck and can't.

Suggested Improvements

More rear leg room and better gas mileage would be nice.

Best Jeep ever
By cprevbhayes

2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in 2000. Currently 175,000 miles and still going strong. Mine has the 5-speed manual mated to the 6-cylinder engine. Great combo for 4-wheel drive! Only major repair has been replacing the a/c compressor. Jeep has taken me all over the country. Interior design could be better, especially the back seat. Not too comfortable back there, but hey, it's a Jeep! Wish someone made a dependable, basic 4-wheel drive vehicle today. This one will stay with me until one of us dies!

Favorite Features

5-speed tranny and 4 liter 6-cylinder engine is an awesome pairing! Still looks good after 11 years. Gas mileage of 25-27 on highway (the manual tranny helps a LOT with this).

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back! Please! Also would be nice if they made it possible to replace the heater core without having to remove the entire dash.