Used 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2000 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Best Vehicle EVER!!!
By avhowe

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 7 years ago and loved it! It took me everywhere and could do about anything. Ride was a bit rough, but that's a Jeep. Last month I was hit in the rear by an Expedition doing 60 mph. I made it through the accident with only a mild concussion, unfortunately, my Jeep did not make it. It was still going strong with 161,000 miles on it. I miss driving it everyday. I am now out looking for a new Jeep, but only go with used because I want the 4.0L I6 motor!!

Old Faithful
By ScottR

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my Cherokee brand new in 2000, and upgraded to a Wrangler in 2008, 120K miles later. I still have the old Jeep and use it for Home Depot runs and driving in the snow when my wife is using the Wrangler. I beat the heck out of it in the first few years, and honestly didn't maintain it too well. But it's a workhorse; except for brakes, tires, fluids and filters, it still has 100% original parts, has never left me stranded and to this day the engine starts right up on the hottest and coldest days, and the drive train still performs like new. Those I-6 engines have to be the best-built engines around -- I wish they still put them in the Wranglers.

Favorite Features

Reliability, solid off-road/snow performance, interior cargo space + roof rack, and it's all-around fun to drive because you just can't break it. Easy to maintain -- I've done all the brake work and fluid changes myself over the years, and everything is accessible and straightforward.

Suggested Improvements

None. It was never sold as a luxury car, a speed machine, a rock crawler, nor a "green" SUV, so it's unreasonable to expect any of those things from it. It's just a solid box on wheels that lets you go where you want, when you want, and doesn't let you down.

Love my Jeep
By Steve E

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

128,000 miles and still kicking. I love my Jeep Cherokee. I hang on to it because there is nothing out there I want to replace it with. It is the perfect size, great motor, great 4WD system w/ part time/ full time and a simple vehicle. In deep mud and snow I still haven't gotten stuck. I wish Jeep would bring this one back into production. Get back to basics!

Favorite Features

The 4.0 straight six cast iron motor and the 4WD system. Good power.

Suggested Improvements

I little more leg room, more comfortable backseat.

ONE TUFF JEEP
By ONE TUFF JEEP

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned my jeep for about 8 years. I've had no major problems to deal with since. I've got mine hooked-up for off-road(4" lift w/32's and some bolt-on engine mods) its literally a beast on wheels. I can get through anything I want. I pass 50k$ SUV's going up the slickest of roads on my ski trips. I highly recommend to any one looking for an affordable off road vehicle. Gas-mileage stinks--- 13mpg combined, but its been very good to me, plus its paid off...

Favorite Features

command track 4x4

Suggested Improvements

sorry don't have any.

Loved it up to the moment it got totaled
By Ron Carter

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Love my Jeep. Bought 2 in a row and love the first one as well. Never a problem, you can't kill that 4.0 motor. Wish they would bring it back. Easy to drive on the long haul or around town. Towed my boat and camper across many states and loved every minute of it. The back seat legroom area was getting a little small for my 5-10 boys. Other than that, we love the ole' jeep. It got totaled , I mean really totaled but, if it weren't for the Jeep, I may not have walked away from the accident.

Favorite Features

fun to drive, easy to work on-not that it needed much, reliable!!!

Suggested Improvements

make the vehicle about 6 inches longer and put every inch of it in the back seat area.