2000 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
The Best SUV Ever
By jmtrumpet on 06/13/13 11:25 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

The original SUV was, and is the best. It's reasonably economical, quick and agile, and combines the ruggedness of a true truck frame with agility (the agility is helped by the aftermarket, stiffer shocks I installed along with slightly wider high-performance tires). And it can go pretty much anywhere. My 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0 has more than 180,000 miles on it - yet when I change the oil after 4000 miles, the dipstick still shows full! I've never had an engine with this level of longevity. With its NP242 Selec-Trac transfer case, in addition to 2WD and 4WD Hi & Lo it also has Full Time All-Wheel Drive - in this mode on wet pavement it's like having an Audi Quattro or BMW X-Drive.

Best Vehicle EVER!!!
By avhowe on 10/12/11 12:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 7 years ago and loved it! It took me everywhere and could do about anything. Ride was a bit rough, but that's a Jeep. Last month I was hit in the rear by an Expedition doing 60 mph. I made it through the accident with only a mild concussion, unfortunately, my Jeep did not make it. It was still going strong with 161,000 miles on it. I miss driving it everyday. I am now out looking for a new Jeep, but only go with used because I want the 4.0L I6 motor!!

forrest service "Gump" green
By mintjeeplup on 09/09/11 17:22 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

Got my cherokee @ govt. auction 2 years ago with 63000 miles ..Its the forrest service green an uglier colour than even shrek after a night of drinking..this does not distract from special forrest service options like steel gas tank skid plate and other skid plates protecting the underside..now my jeep has 67000 miles and real nice rims it aint the workhorse in my fleet of cars..that is my 1992 cherokee also with the great straght 6 motor...the 2000 is my 5th jeep with the straight 6 and runs smoother stronger and faster than the others ever did. a truely rugged vehicle..buy one or two..YEA

I can't let her go 2000 jeep cherokee 4x4
By 107wood on 08/25/11 06:29 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a newer F-150 so I no longer had a need for my jeep so i decieded to sell it. I washed it, waxed it, painted the mouldings and bumpers with bumper paint, touched up the finish coat, cleaned the rust off the steel rims, steam cleaned the interior. I've now decided to keep her and sell my truck. This has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned. After 7 years and 90K (bought it with 65K) I have had no major repairs. The only issues I've had is with the suspension but it's all maintenance items.

Best Jeep ever
By cprevbhayes on 07/02/11 11:35 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in 2000. Currently 175,000 miles and still going strong. Mine has the 5-speed manual mated to the 6-cylinder engine. Great combo for 4-wheel drive! Only major repair has been replacing the a/c compressor. Jeep has taken me all over the country. Interior design could be better, especially the back seat. Not too comfortable back there, but hey, it's a Jeep! Wish someone made a dependable, basic 4-wheel drive vehicle today. This one will stay with me until one of us dies!

Most Reliable Vehicle Ever Had
By urban_ga_peach on 01/23/11 13:44 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

My husband and I have had this Jeep for 4 years. Had 70k when we bought it, now it has 130k. Low miles for a 11 year old car. We've had no major issues. Daytime running lights means you chance headlights often. Electrical sensor replaced under dash and a brake light sensor. Besides that just regualar maint. 4.0L is best engine Jeep ever made. My dad has a 96 like ours with 280k and still no issues. We expect to get 300k out of her too. She's like a tank! Back seat a bit small for 6 footers but fine for short people/kids. Definately best buy for TMV.

You know you're getting there in a cherokee
By maxxoccupancy on 12/27/10 13:12 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this vehicle for about 15,000 miles, and I have been very happy with it. It is as capable off road as off, and there are thousands of modifications for these vehicles. Whether you want to hit the trails or brave New England winters, these are some of the best vehicles for the money. The Cherokee is also one of the safest, toughest vehicles on the road.

Great Car
By Anonymous on 12/07/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is extreamly reliable. I turned over 128,000 miles with minimal troubles. Nothing costly has gone wrong with it, still on origional engine and tranny. Leaks less than 1/2 a quart of oil a month in its older age,started around 115,000 miles but nothing too costly.

Love my jeep
By john c on 05/29/10 14:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

This is my 3rd one. I had a 1988 Comanche 4x4 then a 1996 Cherokee. Now a 2000 classic. I love them. They're very reliable and fun to drive.

Bulletproof- buy again in a heartbeat
By dew on 03/24/10 07:59 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

First new in 2000-absolutely bulletproof. Very practical w/ generous cargo space. tow hitch bike rack & ski roof rack. Easily handles class IV roads w/ plenty of gear, blasted through 1ft+ snow & rain deluges. Pulled a few stumps out & a stuck car. Fun at drive in with the hatch lid open to the screen. Knuckleheads t-boned it from both sides of the front wheel wells, but kept rolling. Req’d minor repair work, but takes a punch. Decent mpg (~20 mpg) for utility. Great acceleration. Can be bumpy at times, but swallows potholes w/o problems. No major problems beyond routine maintenance. Quality keeps up against any other domestic or import. Jeep, why did you ever stop making these?