hmmm...
By jeepdriver99 on
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD
I bought my Jeep with 66k miles on it. It is now 9 months later and I have put 3k miles on it. My Cherokee is a lemon! I purchased the extended warranty which would cover it fully until 2009 or 100k. I have had to bring it in to be serviced 6 times and only 2 were covered under warranty! Thankfully the REALLY expensive fixes were covered under warranty: driveshaft and transfer case cracking which would have set me back thousands of dollars. Three times the check engine light came on with the dealer telling me that the vapor canister was cracked, the gas tank was cracked, and some issue with my transmission. The other was when the crankshaft broke causing me to be stranded!
Favorite Features
I love the styling and I wish they would continue with this type of design with current Jeeps. The four wheel drive system(SelecTrac) is amazing and I have never gotten stuck. The acceleration is also very good helping with quick acceleration onto the highway.
Suggested Improvements
The backseat is a little too squishy and there should be headrests. The gas mileage is terrible with my average being around 14 mpg! With gas prices going up, I am looking for a smaller four cylinder car now. I also wish that the Jeep was more reliable. I have already paid $1500 for the repairs!