1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Awesome Jeep

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Review

Sport 4dr SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Awesome Jeep
By Jersey Girl on

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Very pleased with my '99 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Agree with other reviewers: brakes grab when cold or wet, but quickly get back to normal. A bit of a gas hog when in 4WD & with defrosters roaring, but all SUV's are. 6 cylinder straight 6 engine powerful and responsive. Average 17-21 mpg. No engine or drive train problems. Replaced brake fluid lines once (housings just wore out). Performed usual maintenance (tires, tune-up's, oil changes). 4WD easy to switch into and out of; good steering in 4WD, not like piloting a boat. Have taken on long trips and use for my daily commute -- I love my Jeep!

Favorite Features

No rust! Always reliable. Sturdy. Not a cushy ride, but comfortable -- I like to feel the road. Privacy glass. Fold-down rear seat provides lots of space. Easy to maintain inside and out. Only an hour for a complete wash & wax job! Not too big; I feel safe on the highway and around town.

Suggested Improvements

Try to find a travel mug that fits snugly in those cup holders! More console cut-outs would have been helpful (for tissues; cell phone). Getting back seat down by myself is a challenge - it just wants to lock back into position. I'll add window guards to improve ventilation in humid weather.