Undervalued, in my opinion.
By Austin on
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV
First car. Had it for six years until it was rear ended. Literally drove it from coast to coast with no problems. Smooth response at lower speeds with just enough torque on the highway to get you around a semi in a hurry. Handling was great around town. Good turning radius. Bumpy ride. Passengers don't enjoy it much. Backseat kinda cramped. But from the driver's seat it's not a problem. Front shocks went out along with water pump and compressor after a few years. Other than that, the engine never gave me any problems, even with my terrible upkeep. Engine was abused with stop and go driving in 100 degree heat with few oil changes the whole time I drove it. Held up great.
Favorite Features
Very ergonomic setup for the driver (I'm 5'11"). Controls laid out nicely. Loved the visibility. With proper mirror position you won't have any blind spots. Tows fine. Fold down rear seats allow a lot of cargo room. Never modified it unless a part broke, but after market parts real easy to come by.
Suggested Improvements
Stock front shocks too soft/fragile. AC seems to cause a lot of people trouble. Motors for the powered windows have a tendency to fail. Cramped rear seating. Ceiling fabric and vinyl interior break down in hot climate. Weight could be distributed better so it doesn't fishtail as easily.