1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 3DR

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Review

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 3DR
By colorado14r on

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

After buying my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 3DR new, I proceeded to log over 168k miles in it until 2012. No power windows, roof rack or fancy bells or whistles. I just sold it last month. Most of my milage was city/hwy driving. I averaged 17/22 MPG. Not too bad with an air conditioner. The off roading in the snow was as impressive as a Jeep commercial can leagaly put on the TV. My service record shows normal maintenance. I needed to replace the clutch at around 90K and the air conditioner was replaced at 120k. The only real problem was a clutch sensor that kept burnig out 15A fuses in the fuse box. The sensor was replaced and it ran well ever since. I liked it so much I purchsed another Jeep.

Favorite Features

My fave with the 1999 Jeep Sport 3DR is the fact that I don't need to get out and lock the hubs like I did so often in my '74 CJ-5. It climbs walls and still cruises uphill at the speed limit. The 4liter is a good, strong motor. It's a Jeep, not a race car.

Suggested Improvements

Possibly adding some steel to the bumpers and 1/4 panels might make it a little bit tougher vehicle. Banging around trees and parking lots tend to reshape the vehicle exterior too easily. Watch out.