Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Best car I ever owned
By Jolena911

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my FWD Jeep Cherokee Sport brand new in 1999. I had it for five years, put 90k miles on it and only did routine maintence. This was an awesome vehicle and I hated to get rid of it. The only down spots were hard plastic interior. Otherwise, it was an awesome vehicle. I'm still hoping to pick-up another one used sometime soon.

Favorite Features

Reliability. FWD. Quick, decent gas mileage, comfortable to drive and I love the classic Jeep looks

Suggested Improvements

They should have kept making them. The Liberty is sissy looking and pathetic.

Why did Jeep stop making these?
By scatpack71

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep from the original owner in June of 2006, and I've been very happy since day 1. I bought it with 75k, and since then i've put 23K on it since. I've had to replace the orginal brakes on it (i'd suggest the ceramic brake pads), tires, and shocks, but that's been it. I also put a 2" lift kit on it, because stock 4x4 vehicles tower over it. Now it's about the height of a stock 4-runner. The best thing is that it's never stranded me, it's been the best car I've owned and I've owned and sold a lot cars.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, the ability of driving in adverse conditions. Gas mileage in the summer 20 MPG (winter gas drops to 17 MPG), Reliabilty. Torque of power of the 4.0l, stock speakers are sound pretty good.

Suggested Improvements

The back seat will not seat a adult comfortably for any period of time, Exhaust manifold is a common problem (the previous owner had it replaced before i owned it), ground clearance hence the 2" lift, other than that it's great!

Nothing Can Replace It!
By Binski

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Jeep since my junior year of high school. It got me to and from college countless times, three moves, and even an annual 1,000 mile round trip vacation. This car has never broken down and I have never needed roadside assistance in the 8 years I have owned it. However, AC finked out at 90,000 and many minor repairs were also made, adding up quite a bit. But I can't complain, this car is the epitome of reliable- snow storms, white outs, blinding rain? No problem, always has got me through! The design has no bells and whistles, mine doesn't even have cruise control, but thats's what makes this car fun! It's a truck and meant to be simple.

Favorite Features

So fun to drive! Amazing turning capability compared to most SUV's. Can parallel park like it's nobody's business.

Suggested Improvements

The plastic trip on my Sport faded with in a few years and takes quite a bit of manual labor to keep looking nice.

XJ = Quality
By boardz

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have owned several Jeeps and have been pleased with the quality, dependability, simplicity and utility of every one. My 1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee is by far the best overall vehicle I have ever owned. I would recommend any year Cherokee - that has been well maintained - to anyone that needs a dependable utility vehicle at a reasonable price!

Favorite Features

Off road capability

Suggested Improvements

N/A

Strong and Steady
By Todd

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I owned my Cherokee for 4 1/2 years. It was a great vehicle. The V6 is capable and the 4 wheel drive is awesome. The truck got me through any type of condition with no problems. Overall reliability was great. The only items that I replaced (outside of normal maintenance items like brakes and tires) were a steering linkage piece and a power window part. Other than that, the vehicle was free of problems. If they still made them I would buy another. Since they don't I bought the new Patriot which is the most similar thing Jeep now makes.

Favorite Features

Jeep look. Ruggedness, 4 wheel drive, V-6, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage