Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

99 Sport
By Tim

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Always wanted a Cherokee since the early '90s. Bought new in '99. Goes just about anywhere you want. Only problem was with the front windows. Both driver and passenger motor brackets broke within a year of each other and caused the window to drop to the bottom of the door. I pull a 2000 lb camper all over the Tennessee hills at 80 with no problems. Easy to work on or modify with uncountable parts available for greater off road performance. Limited only by your imagination. It is truly a shame that Jeep stopped making the Cherokee. Nothing else can compare.

Favorite Features

NP231 transfer case, power, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

No skid plates. Available only with the upcountry option.

Jeeper for Life
By Love my Jeep

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

With my 91 Cherokee Limited having 258000 miles on it I decided to buy something a little newer. I have always loved jeeps. The boxiness is great. The L6 pulls my trailer and 2 atv's with no problems (sportsman 500,600). The fuel is decent for something like this. The auto trans is bullet proof. They should never have stopped building these. My only complaint is the power windows. The sport is the most expensive to replace as it is a dealer only item.

Favorite Features

The gauge layout is terrific. My only complaint it that there is not a recirc option when using the heater, unless you turn it to ac.

Suggested Improvements

Start making them again. Bring back the L6. Ford made the same mistake with the L6-300....great engines.

Great off road vehicle
By tom

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I use the vehicle in extreme off road hunting situations. Only modification is a 3 inch lift and 6 additional lights. It goes anywhere. I am a professional guide & retired law man, & I go where a goat should not. The only thing I would like is better fuel mileage on the highway. It has the 4 ltr./auto trans. Great vehicle, for what it was made for. Have tried many others, including imports. They cannot stay close in the off road situations. Requires more than normal maintenance, but that is the price you pay

3rd Jeep I've had and the best so far.
By Rescue515

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep when it only had 3 miles on it. I saw the truck driver when he was backing it off the delivery truck. It was Chili Pepper Red with Grey inside. I bought the extended warranty for 7 years or 100,000 miles. (DID NOT USE IT) The only problem that I have had is that the alternator went out at about 75,000 miles. I change the oil every 3500 mi and have a regular maintenance schedule. This Jeep looks as good as it drives.

Favorite Features

The four wheel drive. I went hunting in my jeep when it was 6 inches of snow on the ground and I was the only one that stayed dry and warm the whole week hunting. everyone else spent all day trying to get out of snow and mud instead of hunting.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I wish I would have had was cruise control from the factory on my Cherokee. That's the only thing it did not come with.

Bring it back!
By Jarmbru

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this with 50K after riding through very rough terrain in a friend's Cherokee that had 250K. I'm now at 140K. I meet people all the time who tell me they are the best vehicle ever, and who have very high mileage. I use it on very, very bad "roads" in the hills of backwoods East Tennessee and also to commute and to haul electronic equipment. This Jeep does it all. It's true it's not a pretty soccer mom's car, so what, that's not what I want. Oh please bring it back! By the way, people around here love them and keep them forever.

Favorite Features

Excellent on really bad roads. Pretty good on the highway, lots of pickup and handles pretty good too. It's basic, and practical, and roomy and that's exactly what I need. I'm not slow on the interstate but with this 4.0L 6 banger I get 19mpg. If your mileage isn't that good, get a tune-up.

Suggested Improvements

Don't make it prettier or more comfortable. A little more room in the front would be good, maybe better cargo/seat arrangements in back. I want to be able to buy the 2009 version!