Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

My First Car
By Jeep-it

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my red, 5-speed Jeep Cherokee in Sept. 2006 and still have it to this date. I bought it with 85k miles on it and it now has a little more than 100k miles on it. In that time, the only problems I've had are glitchy power windows and a cracked evaporator. I was slightly weary about buying a gas guzzling SUV for my first car but after driving it for a while, I've found that it does real well. It gets about 19/20 city, but I find that keeping it just below 65 on the highway will get me 30 mpg for highway trips (and that's with a fully loaded college vehicle!). This has been and will remain a fun, reliable, and efficient first vehicle. I plan to hold onto this for a long time.

Gas mileage, reliability, sporty 5- speed, turning radius, peppy 4.0L I-6, lack of blind spots, overall look, 4WD and fun driving feeling.

Improvements? There not making any more. I realize Jeep tried to bring back the look of the Cherokee with the Commander and the size of the Cherokee with the Patriot, but they're just not the same. BRING BACK THE I-6 JEEP!

99 Sport
By Tim

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Always wanted a Cherokee since the early '90s. Bought new in '99. Goes just about anywhere you want. Only problem was with the front windows. Both driver and passenger motor brackets broke within a year of each other and caused the window to drop to the bottom of the door. I pull a 2000 lb camper all over the Tennessee hills at 80 with no problems. Easy to work on or modify with uncountable parts available for greater off road performance. Limited only by your imagination. It is truly a shame that Jeep stopped making the Cherokee. Nothing else can compare.

NP231 transfer case, power, reliability.

No skid plates. Available only with the upcountry option.

Jeeper for Life
By Love my Jeep

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

With my 91 Cherokee Limited having 258000 miles on it I decided to buy something a little newer. I have always loved jeeps. The boxiness is great. The L6 pulls my trailer and 2 atv's with no problems (sportsman 500,600). The fuel is decent for something like this. The auto trans is bullet proof. They should never have stopped building these. My only complaint is the power windows. The sport is the most expensive to replace as it is a dealer only item.

The gauge layout is terrific. My only complaint it that there is not a recirc option when using the heater, unless you turn it to ac.

Start making them again. Bring back the L6. Ford made the same mistake with the L6-300....great engines.

Great off road vehicle
By tom

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I use the vehicle in extreme off road hunting situations. Only modification is a 3 inch lift and 6 additional lights. It goes anywhere. I am a professional guide & retired law man, & I go where a goat should not. The only thing I would like is better fuel mileage on the highway. It has the 4 ltr./auto trans. Great vehicle, for what it was made for. Have tried many others, including imports. They cannot stay close in the off road situations. Requires more than normal maintenance, but that is the price you pay

3rd Jeep I've had and the best so far.
By Rescue515

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep when it only had 3 miles on it. I saw the truck driver when he was backing it off the delivery truck. It was Chili Pepper Red with Grey inside. I bought the extended warranty for 7 years or 100,000 miles. (DID NOT USE IT) The only problem that I have had is that the alternator went out at about 75,000 miles. I change the oil every 3500 mi and have a regular maintenance schedule. This Jeep looks as good as it drives.

The four wheel drive. I went hunting in my jeep when it was 6 inches of snow on the ground and I was the only one that stayed dry and warm the whole week hunting. everyone else spent all day trying to get out of snow and mud instead of hunting.

The only thing I wish I would have had was cruise control from the factory on my Cherokee. That's the only thing it did not come with.