1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
Great Small SUV!
By Grant Stanley on 08/30/05 20:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I bought it back in September of '04. I bought it with 55,000 miles on it, and it has 59,000 at the moment. I would suggest getting a high performance air filter and an inexpensive lift kit. I put a 2" lift on mine and it really makes a difference, not only on the outside, but the ride quality is much better. I would definitely recommend this car, especially because of the cost of gas these days. I get about 18 miles per gallon, and where I live, I pay about $40 to fill it up. Also, the 4.0L 6 cylinder engine has a lot of power, especially when you add the air filter. When i bought it, it had about 190hp, now it's cranking out about 205hp.

Repairs will come soon if you buy now
By Homer on 08/18/05 21:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My experience with American vehicles tells me that they will begin need major repairs at or about 70,000 miles. My Jeep Cherokee is no different. I have 69,500 miles and will pickup my vehicle and its repair tab of about $1000 tomorrow. No repairs were due to negligence -- they were due to normal wear and tear (power steering, power window and front end). My last American vehicle was from the 1980's and my next probably won't be until the 2080's! Additionally, electrical features stink. I've have repetitive problems with a speaker wire crimping in the driver's side door and a repetitive yet intermittent problem with passenger side power window.

Unstoppable
By 0wn on 08/16/05 13:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Cherokee from a salvage yard after it was hit on the front left wheel, ran into a pole or stoplight, and then flipped on its side. After that much abuse, I didn't expect it to start, much less be drivable. But amazingly, all it took was a new battery to get the Jeep started. I had a mechanic shop replace most of the steering system (the impact to the wheel bent a few parts), and then I replaced the panels that were damaged. It's quite amazing that I could pull the Jeep's exterior apart using simple hand tools and I was even able to salvage some the bent pieces. After repairing it, I never had any trouble. The engine will start in zero temperature and never causes problems.

Not that great.....
By jeepsport99 on 08/08/05 10:03 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

For a Jeep I expected more. This vehicle has been nothing but problems. Shocks every 30 thousand miles, $1500 for upper and lower ball joints, both front bearings/hubs replaced, passenger rear leaf spring replaced, both O2 sensors replaced, clunky drive line. Now at 107,000 miles, water pump may be going. I think the most annoying thing to me is how the rear end sags because the leaf springs wear by design. Luckily I had a extended warranty up to 75,000 miles otherwise I would have been really upset. One thing that is good is that during the summer months I can get 20 mpg from the 190 hp inline six. This is a poor product and Chrysler Jeep should be ashamed.

Love my Jeep
By pkamas on 04/22/05 18:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jeep! This is the best, most reliable, most fun vehicle I have ever had. Even more fun than a BMW 320I (had one of those -- that's another story). I have had this vehicle for 6 years; bought it new, never had a problem. The only time it was in the shop was when I hit a deer and wanted to get the grill fixed. Gas mileage is great for an SUV. I constantly go 320 miles or more on a tank. If it's a road trip I've gotten as much as 450 miles a tank. Not too bad! Love the Cherokee, I wish they would not have discontinued it, the Liberty is too cutesy, not my style. Great overall vehicle.

A Great Friend
By SANABU on 03/26/05 01:05 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport since brand new. I am very impressed with its reliability. Always starts and it never fails. It is fun to drive but a bit painful as you feel the road. The quality of the workmanship on this SUV is excellent. Impressive. My Jeep has 170,000 miles and it still feels good to drive. I am ready for a new car and the Jeep goes to my 16 year old daughter. I trust this small truck enough that I am giving it to my daughter. No complaints from me.

it's ok - not great
By g on 03/01/05 21:29 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car brand new in '99. Had to replace transfer case ($2500), window regulator, speaker and wiring, front brake calipers and a few days ago the thermostat plus all kinds of other small stuff. Maybe other cars are worse, but until now it drove fine but in the last few months I've had to spend a couple thousand dollars to keep it going. With 57,000 miles, I'm worried about the next 40,000. Maybe it's time to sell.

Awesome Jeep
By Jersey Girl on 02/02/05 16:21 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Very pleased with my '99 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Agree with other reviewers: brakes grab when cold or wet, but quickly get back to normal. A bit of a gas hog when in 4WD & with defrosters roaring, but all SUV's are. 6 cylinder straight 6 engine powerful and responsive. Average 17-21 mpg. No engine or drive train problems. Replaced brake fluid lines once (housings just wore out). Performed usual maintenance (tires, tune-up's, oil changes). 4WD easy to switch into and out of; good steering in 4WD, not like piloting a boat. Have taken on long trips and use for my daily commute -- I love my Jeep!

Solid
By Shawn on 01/29/05 20:51 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife and I have put 30,000 miles on it since we got it with 50,000 miles on it. Since then we had to replace the front rotors, driver's side power window motor and tires. The 4WD light does not display in the instrument cluster and sometimes (after a lot of rain) the cluster will not work for a few minutes. All in all we like it. The ride is stiff but tolerable. It is an absolute blast off road. It is also very good in the snow. We typically average about 20mpg.

Solid Jeep
By Mark on 01/29/05 00:11 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV is an amazing vehicle. The only way I'm going to get rid of this thing is if I total it, which I don't plan on doing. This is a great drive, extremely capable, especially in snow, and is great to take offroad, and can make the transition back to pavement beautifully.