Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1999 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

There's no replacement for Cherokee
By SL

1999 Jeep Cherokee SE 2dr SUV

Bought this very basic 4x4 last summer with 125k on the clock, and just grow more enthusiastic every day. Its not a luxury car, but is very tractable on-road and there is NO vehicle still in production in 2008 that can come anywhere close to matching it for balancing on-road manners and sheer offroad capability. Its also built like a tank and is unbelievably reliable. Important stuff just does not fail on this car. Fuel econ. is quite good in commuting. They're so common that they're almost forgotten- but just look around you in traffic some day and start counting, and note how many still look great. Then remember there hasn't been a new one built for 7 years. Take THAT, Toyota.

Favorite Features

Ruggedness and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Just come up with a real replacement! The Liberty is OK, but gives up too much in offroad capability and is too complex for the gains in on-road manners. The FJ Cruiser is a plastic-encased joke, and the Escape/Tribute is a FWD pretending to be a 4x4. This is a totally empty market segment currently

Great 4x4
By Steve

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this new in 99 and now have 116,000 mi on it and have not had anything go wrong, love the 4x4 goes anywhere and through anything, 3' snow drifts, no problem!

Favorite Features

part time 4x4 that goes anywhere and the boxy looks, no blind spots like most other suvs

Suggested Improvements

better mpg, and a little more leg room in the back seat.

Unhappy
By Luisa

1999 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This Jeep has had the following problems: 3 transfer case replacements. Transmission replaced. U-joints failed. rides rough. Gas mileage is the worst of any car I've ever owned. This thing sucks gas big time!

Jeep Trifecta
By MissBailey

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this new in 99 and we love it. This was to replace my car and after test drives of others kept coming back to the Cherokee, we had bought a used 90 Cherokee in 91 that my husband used for work. When we decided to replace the 90 my husband went looking for another and we now have a 2000 Sport Cherokee. These are all going strong and shouldn't need to replace for years. The 99 gets the most mileage now as I have to travel for my job but at 130K it should last until retirement. The 90 still gets lots of use at the beach, when the kids need there cars fixed, still going strong. Bring them back Jeep, there is nothing quite like this SUV.

Favorite Features

This is a sturdy SUV that is easy to drive, lock in 4WD when needed. It has the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rule going for it.

Suggested Improvements

Bring the Cherokee back. Newer editions don't even begin to come close.

My First Car
By Jeep-it

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my red, 5-speed Jeep Cherokee in Sept. 2006 and still have it to this date. I bought it with 85k miles on it and it now has a little more than 100k miles on it. In that time, the only problems I've had are glitchy power windows and a cracked evaporator. I was slightly weary about buying a gas guzzling SUV for my first car but after driving it for a while, I've found that it does real well. It gets about 19/20 city, but I find that keeping it just below 65 on the highway will get me 30 mpg for highway trips (and that's with a fully loaded college vehicle!). This has been and will remain a fun, reliable, and efficient first vehicle. I plan to hold onto this for a long time.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability, sporty 5- speed, turning radius, peppy 4.0L I-6, lack of blind spots, overall look, 4WD and fun driving feeling.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements? There not making any more. I realize Jeep tried to bring back the look of the Cherokee with the Commander and the size of the Cherokee with the Patriot, but they're just not the same. BRING BACK THE I-6 JEEP!