Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

ok
By chelsie

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents bought my 99 Cherokee sport in 2000, drove it for about 5 years, and then handed it down to me. It now has 140,0000 miles on it. I have no complaints about how it runs, never had any problems with that. However, the ac has stopped working, the front speakers blew out, the rear windshield wiper doesn't work, and the handle that pops that hood was so sticky, that mechanics changing the oil completely pulled it off and now the hood won't latch and I have to put a ratchet strap around it to keep it down. It gets me from place to place, but that's about it.

Favorite Features

the four wheel drive is awesome, gets me through any kind of winter weather and gives me good control

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage

Love my Jeep
By medic 812

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my black Cherokee Sport 4x4 off the showroom floor. It had a whole 9 miles on it. It currently has almost 130k on it. It has only been in the shop once, for a loose torque converter. It has always gotten 19 MPG with good gas. The engine set up makes preventative maintenance easy. Even the transmission pan has a drain plug. The I-6 is essentially a tractor motor. You can't kill a tractor and you can't kill a Jeep. Maybe they should have provided a PTO, that would've been handy. I still can't believe they quit making these great vehicles. I'll run mine until the wheels fall off.

Favorite Features

4x4, body style, ease of maintenance, strong motor, lack of problems

Suggested Improvements

winch bumper of real steel on front, external rear mount for spare tire to allow more cargo space, good mud/snow tires, better gas mileage

What a truck!
By Cherokee Limited

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the third Jeep I have owned aside from the old '86 Grand Wagoneer and the '93 Jeep Cherokee. Reliability has improved over the years, I bought the '99 Cherokee Limited with 72k. I have enjoyed driving this Jeep and probably will never own any other make of suv. There is not one bad word I can say about the Jeep Cherokee!

Favorite Features

The leather seats and woodgrain interior trimand of course, the sound system!

Suggested Improvements

none

Ride or Die Vehicle
By zayla4

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I absolutely could not live without my Cherokee. I've had it for 11 years. Bought it with 13,000 miles on it. It's been in four accidents (1 while parked), extensive road trips throughout upstate NY during my sorority days, and survived NYC potholes. Within the past two years, I've had to change the brake pads, thermometer, radiator, steering box, battery and have multiple electrical problems resulting in shortages in the front and rear lights. Overall, she has lasted me well as hard as I drive, and I'm looking for another vehicle as equally reliable.

Favorite Features

Body style, smooth ride, reliability, durability.

Suggested Improvements

There was a problem with the dash board monitors that was recalled back in 2000. But, the monitors still malfunction every so often which I believe have led to the electrical problems.

Love My Jeep
By Tyson

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car car new. It has been reliable. 187000 miles now. Never had an issue with the transmission. Awesome offroad, and snow performance - never been stuck in mud or snow. Part time 4x4 is great. 17 mpg average. Got 21 mpg once on highway trip. Replaced normal things- alternator, belt, brakes, tires. Stuck with regular maintenance. Replaced several window motors, and has had several electrical glitches.Recently had head gasket replaced (approx. $800) due to oil leak - first leak I've had. Now evaporator coil is cracked ($1300 repair, or no AC). It may be getting close to time to replace, but I really don't want to get rid of it. With new tires, it's impossible to surpass off road

Favorite Features

No blind spots. Performs awesome in snow. Dependable. Good ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise- this is a noisy vehicle. Bumpy ride-you feel every bump -good for off road. Electrical bugs- front speakers & fog lights haven't worked for years. Fuel gauge reads E sometimes sporadically. In hot weather sometimes all gauges on dash "die" temporarily, but pop back w/in 1 min.