Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Great Little SUV
By bostonman1212

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

1999 Cherokee Sport with 4.0L I6. My 2nd Cherokee (had a 1990 5 spd) and I love both of them (family's had 4 Cherokees and they have all been great trucks). Tough little SUV that does everything you want it to. Never complains when I hit those huge New England pot holes and you can drive it in any weather you want. Taken it out in white-out snow storms in a foot of powder and it does excellent. Never crossed my mind that I'd get stuck in any condition. Not the most comfy/efficient car but its a tough little SUV that rides stiff and never complains. Great for someone looking for a tough reliable truck that will take you anywhere and won't complain about a little tough drivin

-Nice and simple all around compared to most new cars -Holds lots of gear for a small SUV -Go-anywhere capability -Reliability -4wd is impressive. Driven all sorts of 4wd systems (Chevy, Dodge, Mercury, Ford to name a few) and this is hands down the best and most capable system for any condition.

-Could be smoother all around (engine, transmission, suspension), but you don't buy this Jeep for those qualities so they are more than acceptable.

Go Anywhere, Do Anything!
By Ian A. Neether

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I absolutely love these vehicles. They are so reliable. I can go back to my favorite fishing spot, put the seats down and load up the back with equipment, go camping in the back, drive inns are a blast, go anywhere my wrangler owning buds go, get better gas mileage that full size trucks, all power, all electric, tow my boat jet ski four Wheeler or car trailer. This is the most awesome vehicle ever made. My 4dr 4x4 sport has 246,000 miles and still going strong. I will repair it when it needs it and never part with it.

4x4, manual transfer case np231 is absolutely bullet proof when you add a sye.-slip yoke eliminator for you not motor heads. I love that it has power everything and rke with alarm. This is absolutely the Truth in sport utility. Solid axles are reliable. Love my rack and folding rear seats

The only thing I would like to add is a full size spare room for a jack and shovel and I wish the Glass on the rear hatch opened separate from the hatch.

Jeep Cherokee
By Bill

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep in Dec, 08 it rides very good in bad weather conditions, but the previous owner must have went off roading with it, cause the ride was very rough, replace shocks and struts an that helped alot, it had 110,000 on it an now has 123,000 been having electrical issues as of late, this is a suv that I wouldn't hesitate to buy brand new, am looking to upgrade to a 2001 with less wear an tear! Gas mileage isn't a problem as has been reported by other buyers!

4 wheel drive

rear seat

badass jeep cherokee
By AL

1999 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my Jeep Cherokee when I turned 16, and it was a former border patrol unit so it had a few modifications to its factory build. It came with skid plates and yaddi yadda... Idk when it was but I just started falling in love with cars and went all out... It now has a 4.7 stroker straight 6 engine which I just recently beefed up a 3 inch suspension lift and a 1 1/2 inch body lift with 33x12.5 inch tires locked front and rear differential new full magnaflow exhaust kit slip yoke eliminator cv driveshaft the list just goes on and on.... Anyway im approaching 17 now and ive realized that if it wasnt for this car.. I still wouldnt know what I wanna do later in life... Which is work on cars someway

all my mods. these jeeps are extremely easy to customize and truly make your own...i love everything about it and so does everyone else who sees it and has an appreciation for cars...

these jeeps kind of have a faulty relay and computer system....take it thru some water and you need some pretty time consuming and costly repairs but i guess that is the price you pay when you wanna seriously offroad...BRING THEM BACK!!

Die hard Jeep fan
By keljo1976

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Absolutely love my Jeep, I bought it from the construction co that I work for when it was 3 years old & the lease was up. Had 60K miles on it then. Has 185,000 now, March 09. rarely had problems with it. It's been all over the beaches of NC & VA & thru the snow in PA. handled well in every situation. Other than changing belts when they get worn, and changing the oil faithfully, I don't normally put any money in it. I have had to replace a window motor & brakes once, but that's really about it. My daughter will be 16 in a year & I plan on handing this reliable car down to her. & she can't wait!! I wish there was another Jeep I liked as much as this one that I could replace it with.

body style, ruggedness, off road handling, size, reliability

maybe a little more headroom so my hubby doesn't look like a frog in a formaldehyde jar, roomier backseat, and easier entry into backseat

• SUV