1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
Love it!
By Jon on 11/07/06 15:52 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my Jeep new on my 16th birthday and still have it now. It has never left me stranded and is still running strong with just routine maintenance at a tad over 100,000 miles. It is a great suv to have for all occasions, such as out with clients, moving furniture or just around town doing errands.

Rugged
By EMTSquad51 on 08/31/06 14:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I always wanted a Jeep Cherokee growing up, finally got one and I've been loving it ever since! With two kids and a wife, this is a very comfortable ride on the 450 mile round trip to the in laws house we take about 4-5 times a year. Goes excellent in the snow and mud. At 100,250 miles, still going strong and haven't had any problems.

hmmm...
By jeepdriver99 on 05/30/06 00:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep with 66k miles on it. It is now 9 months later and I have put 3k miles on it. My Cherokee is a lemon! I purchased the extended warranty which would cover it fully until 2009 or 100k. I have had to bring it in to be serviced 6 times and only 2 were covered under warranty! Thankfully the REALLY expensive fixes were covered under warranty: driveshaft and transfer case cracking which would have set me back thousands of dollars. Three times the check engine light came on with the dealer telling me that the vapor canister was cracked, the gas tank was cracked, and some issue with my transmission. The other was when the crankshaft broke causing me to be stranded!

My Baby!
By Lindy26 on 03/11/06 13:18 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Owned it for several years now. Plain as they come. 4 cylinder. 5-speed. Manual windows (remember those?). Added factory AM-FM tape/CD and roof racks. 2.5" lift is nice. K&N filter helped too. I've owned 5 other Jeeps with 4 cylinder and sticks; love em'. No rock climber but 4WD low is all I need for off roading anyway.

A satisfied Jeep owner
By frank on 03/06/06 23:17 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Jeep for three reasons: 1. To be able to travel the roads during any weather conditions. Except for icy conditions, nothing has stopped the Jeep. 2. Towing: I tow my 4000 pound boat/trailer without concern and do not worry about being able to get the boat back out of the water. The Jeep brings the rig right up the steep, nasty public launch that I use. The only problem here is that the weight of the boat tries to drag the Jeep down the ramp, even with brakes locked. 3. Durability: My family has owned numerous Jeeps and they have always served us well (except an early 1980's 2.8L Cherokee). This Jeep is the best I have owned so far, even with putting 15K/year on it.

Dream come true
By jepguy99 on 02/11/06 01:17 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep with 90k on it. I now have 125k just a year and a half later, I have had no mechanical problems whatsoever. I have put a 4 inch lift and 33 inch tires on this Jeep and I am still happy about the gas mileage. It takes me wherever I need to go. The engine is very powerful, I can spin the tires whenever I want. I've wanted a Jeep since I could remember and I don't plan on ever selling it. If it gets totaled I plan on buying another one. I love it and recommend it to anyone.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic
By mjt1727 on 01/30/06 22:41 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV 4WD

The 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic is a very utilitarian vehicle. It is a bit loud on the road, does not have the best gas mileage, and the six cylinder engine is adequate. That being said, there have been absolutely no major issues and the vehicle just keeps running.

175k and still going strong...!
By 1goodjeep on 01/17/06 15:08 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my '99 Cherokee Sport in July of 2005. It had 166k on it when I bought it, and its now nearing 175k. Only things I've done to it is put a bigger set of tires on it and a serpentine belt. After totaling a new TrailBlazer last February and getting into the Jeep, it is quite a bit smaller, but gets far better gas mileage. Handling is way better then the TrailBlazer also. I guess I lucked out when I found my black Cherokee. It has the 4.0L with the 5 speed, and it downright HAULS with the manual. It's no nonsense exterior design makes this Jeep awesome in the woods. VERY easy to maintain. Sure it's loud, not very comfortable, and somewhat small ... but hey it's a Jeep and that's what a Jeep is.

Pure Jeep
By Matt The Hammer on 09/22/05 15:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

If the interior was too small, why did you buy it? Cherokees were a low cost SUV that were passed by the modern minivan/"SUV" that are being sold now. It was one of the last real SUVs. SUVs were not nice to ride - they were utility vehicles. That being said, my Cherokee does exactly what I need it to do. It rides nice, decent mileage, and can carry a few people. Jeeps are easy and cheap to maintain. Use aftermarket replacement parts (there are A LOT of them out there) and you'll be happy with the Cherokee for quite some time. If you want a cushy, roomy, nice riding car: buy a minivan. If you want an SUV: buy a Jeep (except the Liberty).

Fun Jeep -- Increasing Cost of Ownership
By Ken on 09/17/05 10:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SE 2dr SUV 4WD

When a vehicle has 100,000 miles, I know we have a lot of work to do. This is no different. Tires, shocks, battery, brakes, etc. are normal. Electronics should be a bit more resilient. The air conditioning coolant has a leak. Of the 3 Chrysler vehicles I have owned, this seems to be their plan to encourage us to sell the vehicle; the system always fails around 90,000 miles and the transmission fails around 100,000-120,000. Planned obsolescence? Other makes seem to be more robust for this, but I digress. Other that that, a nice vehicle, fun to drive as an SUV.