Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Die hard Jeep fan
By keljo1976

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Absolutely love my Jeep, I bought it from the construction co that I work for when it was 3 years old & the lease was up. Had 60K miles on it then. Has 185,000 now, March 09. rarely had problems with it. It's been all over the beaches of NC & VA & thru the snow in PA. handled well in every situation. Other than changing belts when they get worn, and changing the oil faithfully, I don't normally put any money in it. I have had to replace a window motor & brakes once, but that's really about it. My daughter will be 16 in a year & I plan on handing this reliable car down to her. & she can't wait!! I wish there was another Jeep I liked as much as this one that I could replace it with.

body style, ruggedness, off road handling, size, reliability

maybe a little more headroom so my hubby doesn't look like a frog in a formaldehyde jar, roomier backseat, and easier entry into backseat

ok
By chelsie

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents bought my 99 Cherokee sport in 2000, drove it for about 5 years, and then handed it down to me. It now has 140,0000 miles on it. I have no complaints about how it runs, never had any problems with that. However, the ac has stopped working, the front speakers blew out, the rear windshield wiper doesn't work, and the handle that pops that hood was so sticky, that mechanics changing the oil completely pulled it off and now the hood won't latch and I have to put a ratchet strap around it to keep it down. It gets me from place to place, but that's about it.

the four wheel drive is awesome, gets me through any kind of winter weather and gives me good control

better gas mileage

Love my Jeep
By medic 812

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my black Cherokee Sport 4x4 off the showroom floor. It had a whole 9 miles on it. It currently has almost 130k on it. It has only been in the shop once, for a loose torque converter. It has always gotten 19 MPG with good gas. The engine set up makes preventative maintenance easy. Even the transmission pan has a drain plug. The I-6 is essentially a tractor motor. You can't kill a tractor and you can't kill a Jeep. Maybe they should have provided a PTO, that would've been handy. I still can't believe they quit making these great vehicles. I'll run mine until the wheels fall off.

4x4, body style, ease of maintenance, strong motor, lack of problems

winch bumper of real steel on front, external rear mount for spare tire to allow more cargo space, good mud/snow tires, better gas mileage

What a truck!
By Cherokee Limited

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the third Jeep I have owned aside from the old '86 Grand Wagoneer and the '93 Jeep Cherokee. Reliability has improved over the years, I bought the '99 Cherokee Limited with 72k. I have enjoyed driving this Jeep and probably will never own any other make of suv. There is not one bad word I can say about the Jeep Cherokee!

The leather seats and woodgrain interior trimand of course, the sound system!

none

Ride or Die Vehicle
By zayla4

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I absolutely could not live without my Cherokee. I've had it for 11 years. Bought it with 13,000 miles on it. It's been in four accidents (1 while parked), extensive road trips throughout upstate NY during my sorority days, and survived NYC potholes. Within the past two years, I've had to change the brake pads, thermometer, radiator, steering box, battery and have multiple electrical problems resulting in shortages in the front and rear lights. Overall, she has lasted me well as hard as I drive, and I'm looking for another vehicle as equally reliable.

Body style, smooth ride, reliability, durability.

There was a problem with the dash board monitors that was recalled back in 2000. But, the monitors still malfunction every so often which I believe have led to the electrical problems.