1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
what a lemon
By Sean on 02/15/10 19:59 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

i hate this car. it has died and lost all of it charm.

Really Crappy Wiring
By Rabbit on 09/06/09 09:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

After 10 years, nearly every wire in the Jeep is cracking and beginning to fail. Intermittent failures in the window operators, instruments, radio. Cruise control, horn and airbag are all out of commission. Car has never been crashed or bumped and has had only light 4wd use, but body panels are coming loose, trim strips and bumpers are falling off. Transmission is noisy. Death wobble is getting steadily worse even after new tires, shocks, dampener and alignment. The Jeep is the newest of my three cars and the only one that I seriously want to get rid of. VERY Disappointed.

Impressive quality/reliability
By skaboss on 06/28/09 22:52 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

No major problems. Can't believe that it has lasted like this. We take good care of it, and it looks almost new. Almost no rust - surprising for WI. Strong engine/tranny. Interior shows almost no wear. All repairs have been maintenance issues - nothing major. Easy to work on. Would highly recommend.

Love this car
By Genevieve on 06/17/09 17:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my jeep as a college sophomore back in 2005. Purchased in New York where I'm from, and attending school in Savannah, GA, I knew I was in for some serious mileage. I did my research and found a great Cherokee. That car has been up and down the east coast at least 10 times, been in rough road in the swamps of the deep south, and it never died. There were a few minor electrical problems, along with no CD player, however it was perfect. I just sold it (and miss it so much!) due to another long trip across the country, but will probably buy a jeep again.

Great Little SUV
By bostonman1212 on 06/09/09 11:31 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

1999 Cherokee Sport with 4.0L I6. My 2nd Cherokee (had a 1990 5 spd) and I love both of them (family's had 4 Cherokees and they have all been great trucks). Tough little SUV that does everything you want it to. Never complains when I hit those huge New England pot holes and you can drive it in any weather you want. Taken it out in white-out snow storms in a foot of powder and it does excellent. Never crossed my mind that I'd get stuck in any condition. Not the most comfy/efficient car but its a tough little SUV that rides stiff and never complains. Great for someone looking for a tough reliable truck that will take you anywhere and won't complain about a little tough drivin

Go Anywhere, Do Anything!
By Ian A. Neether on 05/30/09 15:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I absolutely love these vehicles. They are so reliable. I can go back to my favorite fishing spot, put the seats down and load up the back with equipment, go camping in the back, drive inns are a blast, go anywhere my wrangler owning buds go, get better gas mileage that full size trucks, all power, all electric, tow my boat jet ski four Wheeler or car trailer. This is the most awesome vehicle ever made. My 4dr 4x4 sport has 246,000 miles and still going strong. I will repair it when it needs it and never part with it.

Jeep Cherokee
By Bill on 05/05/09 05:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep in Dec, 08 it rides very good in bad weather conditions, but the previous owner must have went off roading with it, cause the ride was very rough, replace shocks and struts an that helped alot, it had 110,000 on it an now has 123,000 been having electrical issues as of late, this is a suv that I wouldn't hesitate to buy brand new, am looking to upgrade to a 2001 with less wear an tear! Gas mileage isn't a problem as has been reported by other buyers!

badass jeep cherokee
By AL on 03/25/09 16:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my Jeep Cherokee when I turned 16, and it was a former border patrol unit so it had a few modifications to its factory build. It came with skid plates and yaddi yadda... Idk when it was but I just started falling in love with cars and went all out... It now has a 4.7 stroker straight 6 engine which I just recently beefed up a 3 inch suspension lift and a 1 1/2 inch body lift with 33x12.5 inch tires locked front and rear differential new full magnaflow exhaust kit slip yoke eliminator cv driveshaft the list just goes on and on.... Anyway im approaching 17 now and ive realized that if it wasnt for this car.. I still wouldnt know what I wanna do later in life... Which is work on cars someway

Die hard Jeep fan
By keljo1976 on 03/24/09 10:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Absolutely love my Jeep, I bought it from the construction co that I work for when it was 3 years old & the lease was up. Had 60K miles on it then. Has 185,000 now, March 09. rarely had problems with it. It's been all over the beaches of NC & VA & thru the snow in PA. handled well in every situation. Other than changing belts when they get worn, and changing the oil faithfully, I don't normally put any money in it. I have had to replace a window motor & brakes once, but that's really about it. My daughter will be 16 in a year & I plan on handing this reliable car down to her. & she can't wait!! I wish there was another Jeep I liked as much as this one that I could replace it with.

ok
By chelsie on 03/02/09 16:19 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents bought my 99 Cherokee sport in 2000, drove it for about 5 years, and then handed it down to me. It now has 140,0000 miles on it. I have no complaints about how it runs, never had any problems with that. However, the ac has stopped working, the front speakers blew out, the rear windshield wiper doesn't work, and the handle that pops that hood was so sticky, that mechanics changing the oil completely pulled it off and now the hood won't latch and I have to put a ratchet strap around it to keep it down. It gets me from place to place, but that's about it.