Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

NEVER
By yz250r

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I AM NOT SATISFIDE! This jeep was good for about 4 months mialige 118,000 to curently 123,000 miles. Resently I`v had some major scairs. The engine on and off shakes the car. I can tell because normaly it would be a smoother feeling. At about 20 to 40 mph the car will leack forwars vilontly and will not produce power for 10 to 25 seconds. DO NOT GET THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
By carguy03

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I had a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. This Jeep had the 4.0L I-6 with a 4 speed automatic transmission. It was a very good vehicle for the West Virginia winters, my driveway is just over 2,000 ft up a hill, and it never failed to make it all the way to the top. I liked the vehicle, but it didn't have enough room. I would reccomend it to any of my friends.

Favorite Features

This vehicle was GREAT in the winter, it had good power for a 6 cyl., and it looked nice with the sand pearl paint.

Suggested Improvements

I thought that the vehicle was a little bit too small, but I am also 6'4". I would like it better if the vehicle were a little bit bigger, but other than the size, I can't complain very much.

This thing is a tank
By tlrthnu

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This thing is a tank. Parents bought it new in '99, never had a major problem with it. The engine is rock solid. 190K miles on it and going strong as when it was new. Never had any leaks or any problems at all. Have replaced some parts outside of wear parts (rear springs, U-joints, front stabilizer shock), but this thing is tougher than nails. With new shocks and rear springs, rides better than my sports car. Even ran into a tree two years ago, had it fixed, and you could never tell anything ever happened to it. We expect to keep this Jeep at least another 100K miles. We live off three miles of rough dirt road and it takes the punishment and asks for more. Best vehicle we've ever owned.

Favorite Features

4WD, ruggedness, durability

Suggested Improvements

rear doors, would be nice to have split rear fold-down seat

Undervalued, in my opinion.
By Austin

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

First car. Had it for six years until it was rear ended. Literally drove it from coast to coast with no problems. Smooth response at lower speeds with just enough torque on the highway to get you around a semi in a hurry. Handling was great around town. Good turning radius. Bumpy ride. Passengers don't enjoy it much. Backseat kinda cramped. But from the driver's seat it's not a problem. Front shocks went out along with water pump and compressor after a few years. Other than that, the engine never gave me any problems, even with my terrible upkeep. Engine was abused with stop and go driving in 100 degree heat with few oil changes the whole time I drove it. Held up great.

Favorite Features

Very ergonomic setup for the driver (I'm 5'11"). Controls laid out nicely. Loved the visibility. With proper mirror position you won't have any blind spots. Tows fine. Fold down rear seats allow a lot of cargo room. Never modified it unless a part broke, but after market parts real easy to come by.

Suggested Improvements

Stock front shocks too soft/fragile. AC seems to cause a lot of people trouble. Motors for the powered windows have a tendency to fail. Cramped rear seating. Ceiling fabric and vinyl interior break down in hot climate. Weight could be distributed better so it doesn't fishtail as easily.

Over 200,000 and still the best
By josh.w

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I got this great suv in march of 2010 for my first vehicle. I love the style and ride with the 4.0 L 6 cylinder. It's easy to drive and great for a new driver. Mine has over 200,000 miles and still sounds great. I wish jeep still made these because they are the best.

Favorite Features

exterior, and engine with great reliability

Suggested Improvements

mpg, and leg room in the back. that's my only complaint