Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 3DR
By colorado14r

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

After buying my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 3DR new, I proceeded to log over 168k miles in it until 2012. No power windows, roof rack or fancy bells or whistles. I just sold it last month. Most of my milage was city/hwy driving. I averaged 17/22 MPG. Not too bad with an air conditioner. The off roading in the snow was as impressive as a Jeep commercial can leagaly put on the TV. My service record shows normal maintenance. I needed to replace the clutch at around 90K and the air conditioner was replaced at 120k. The only real problem was a clutch sensor that kept burnig out 15A fuses in the fuse box. The sensor was replaced and it ran well ever since. I liked it so much I purchsed another Jeep.

My fave with the 1999 Jeep Sport 3DR is the fact that I don't need to get out and lock the hubs like I did so often in my '74 CJ-5. It climbs walls and still cruises uphill at the speed limit. The 4liter is a good, strong motor. It's a Jeep, not a race car.

Possibly adding some steel to the bumpers and 1/4 panels might make it a little bit tougher vehicle. Banging around trees and parking lots tend to reshape the vehicle exterior too easily. Watch out.

NEVER
By yz250r

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I AM NOT SATISFIDE! This jeep was good for about 4 months mialige 118,000 to curently 123,000 miles. Resently I`v had some major scairs. The engine on and off shakes the car. I can tell because normaly it would be a smoother feeling. At about 20 to 40 mph the car will leack forwars vilontly and will not produce power for 10 to 25 seconds. DO NOT GET THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
By carguy03

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I had a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. This Jeep had the 4.0L I-6 with a 4 speed automatic transmission. It was a very good vehicle for the West Virginia winters, my driveway is just over 2,000 ft up a hill, and it never failed to make it all the way to the top. I liked the vehicle, but it didn't have enough room. I would reccomend it to any of my friends.

This vehicle was GREAT in the winter, it had good power for a 6 cyl., and it looked nice with the sand pearl paint.

I thought that the vehicle was a little bit too small, but I am also 6'4". I would like it better if the vehicle were a little bit bigger, but other than the size, I can't complain very much.

This thing is a tank
By tlrthnu

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This thing is a tank. Parents bought it new in '99, never had a major problem with it. The engine is rock solid. 190K miles on it and going strong as when it was new. Never had any leaks or any problems at all. Have replaced some parts outside of wear parts (rear springs, U-joints, front stabilizer shock), but this thing is tougher than nails. With new shocks and rear springs, rides better than my sports car. Even ran into a tree two years ago, had it fixed, and you could never tell anything ever happened to it. We expect to keep this Jeep at least another 100K miles. We live off three miles of rough dirt road and it takes the punishment and asks for more. Best vehicle we've ever owned.

4WD, ruggedness, durability

rear doors, would be nice to have split rear fold-down seat

Undervalued, in my opinion.
By Austin

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

First car. Had it for six years until it was rear ended. Literally drove it from coast to coast with no problems. Smooth response at lower speeds with just enough torque on the highway to get you around a semi in a hurry. Handling was great around town. Good turning radius. Bumpy ride. Passengers don't enjoy it much. Backseat kinda cramped. But from the driver's seat it's not a problem. Front shocks went out along with water pump and compressor after a few years. Other than that, the engine never gave me any problems, even with my terrible upkeep. Engine was abused with stop and go driving in 100 degree heat with few oil changes the whole time I drove it. Held up great.

Very ergonomic setup for the driver (I'm 5'11"). Controls laid out nicely. Loved the visibility. With proper mirror position you won't have any blind spots. Tows fine. Fold down rear seats allow a lot of cargo room. Never modified it unless a part broke, but after market parts real easy to come by.

Stock front shocks too soft/fragile. AC seems to cause a lot of people trouble. Motors for the powered windows have a tendency to fail. Cramped rear seating. Ceiling fabric and vinyl interior break down in hot climate. Weight could be distributed better so it doesn't fishtail as easily.