1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
99 classic
By Robert Bigs on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a classic and good looking vehicle. The gas milage is reasonable and the features are more than I need. I like the capability of using it on or off road. It is a great bang for your buck.

Happy so far
By RMG on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Just turned 50,000 with no real problems. Had a power window problem and the rear washer pump quit, nothing with the drivetrain at all. I have the select-trac full time 4wd and have been very happy. We see lots of snow and my wife can drive it without having to worry about shifting to 2wd if she gets on a dry section of road. I just did a 1,000 mile trip, got 22.5 mpg. Average about 18 in town.

Great inexpensive truck
By cherokee on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I always liked Jeeps and I think Cherokee is the best of the breed. It looks like a Jeep and drives like a Jeep and the pickup of I-6 is awesome. Very basic truck but does everything you need and you can buy it very cheap. If you are into outdoors and sports and don't want to spend a lot of $$ this is the best thing.

good jeep ?
By kelliott on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

this is my second jeep cherokee sport that i have worn out. my 99 has 90000 miles on it and i can say that it has started and got me to where i wanted to go every time. for the price it is a good truck. i did have to replace both power window motors in the front at about 40000 miles. i had to replace my rotars at about 50000 miles also. get rid of the liberty and bring back the cherokee!!

Okay so far...
By boobear on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

"Inherited" Cherokee Sport when my dad passed away with 32k miles - so far been very happy with it. Quite a change from a 4 cyl. Nissan Sentra (including the gas bill)! Great acceleration, 4WD worked very well in slushy mess on steep hills. Wish fuel economy was better and back seat had more leg room. Other than that, good "utilitarian" SUV.

Great first time buyers of a S.U.V
By Anderson on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

It's a o.k. truck if you are looking for something cheap and fun to drive off-road but for comfort and room, try a Ford or Chevy. Good performing I-6 engine but can suck some gas. O.k. ride on roads but jiggy.

Good Affordable SUV
By judge09 on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had this cherokee sport for 3 years and have been very happy. The power is great, the ride is fine, its a solid truck. The only problem I have had is both front power windows crapped out. $400 they work fine. Overall great jeep.

Jeep is it!
By STER on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle with 7 miles on it,I have serviced the vehicle according to manufacturers recommendations and have had no major problems(41800 miles).I own a tent trailer and use it for traveling all the time.I have also used if for off road adventures and have been overwhelmingly pleased.I have even been to Moab Utah a time or two and have even amazed a few of the avid four wheelers with what I was accomplishing in a stock vehicle.There is not a stock S-10 or Explorer that can keep up with this one.I drove the other two and gave them their fair shot.If you like to get out camp and do some off roading, Jeep is it!

Disappointment
By wedgeup on 03/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I was really jazzed when I bought my jeep, but things have gone down since I have passed the 30k milage marker. I had to replace my rotors, I have an electrical problem that will not go away, and every oil change, it is time to balance the tires again. When the tires are out of balance, it sounds like a plane traveling down the street. Biggest disappointment is how fast the value of this 3 year old vehicle is dropping.

engine fails at 36,000 miles
By Joe Bob McElroy on 03/05/02 14:01 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Interior - very spartan. Good acceleration with 4.0 liter engine. Occasional (5) problems starting the vehicle - alternate start procedure effective except when VERY COLD. Cooling system problems. 36,600 miles - cooling system - catastrophic failure at highway speed. Fried engine. Engine Replacement required. I do not recommend this vehicle to anyone! I will buy a 4 runner next time!