Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1999 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Fun Jeep -- Increasing Cost of Ownership
By Ken

1999 Jeep Cherokee SE 2dr SUV 4WD

When a vehicle has 100,000 miles, I know we have a lot of work to do. This is no different. Tires, shocks, battery, brakes, etc. are normal. Electronics should be a bit more resilient. The air conditioning coolant has a leak. Of the 3 Chrysler vehicles I have owned, this seems to be their plan to encourage us to sell the vehicle; the system always fails around 90,000 miles and the transmission fails around 100,000-120,000. Planned obsolescence? Other makes seem to be more robust for this, but I digress. Other that that, a nice vehicle, fun to drive as an SUV.

Favorite Features

Styling, 4WD, adequate gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Robust electronics: transmission sensor, air conditioning leaks at 90,000 miles (which I have always had trouble with on any of 3 Chrysler vehicles I have owned).

Great Small SUV!
By Grant Stanley

1999 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I bought it back in September of '04. I bought it with 55,000 miles on it, and it has 59,000 at the moment. I would suggest getting a high performance air filter and an inexpensive lift kit. I put a 2" lift on mine and it really makes a difference, not only on the outside, but the ride quality is much better. I would definitely recommend this car, especially because of the cost of gas these days. I get about 18 miles per gallon, and where I live, I pay about $40 to fill it up. Also, the 4.0L 6 cylinder engine has a lot of power, especially when you add the air filter. When i bought it, it had about 190hp, now it's cranking out about 205hp.

Favorite Features

The 4.0 is a nice feature. Comfortable seats. Good ride quality.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is pretty boring, a wood dash kit would really spruce up the overall quality, also a leather steering wheel would be nice too. Make sure your exhaust manifold is not cracked! I had to pay $600 to get it fixed.

Repairs will come soon if you buy now
By Homer

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My experience with American vehicles tells me that they will begin need major repairs at or about 70,000 miles. My Jeep Cherokee is no different. I have 69,500 miles and will pickup my vehicle and its repair tab of about $1000 tomorrow. No repairs were due to negligence -- they were due to normal wear and tear (power steering, power window and front end). My last American vehicle was from the 1980's and my next probably won't be until the 2080's! Additionally, electrical features stink. I've have repetitive problems with a speaker wire crimping in the driver's side door and a repetitive yet intermittent problem with passenger side power window.

Favorite Features

None -- very disappointed.

Suggested Improvements

Improve design to prevent some problems mentioned above. Head room needs to be increased. I am 5'10' and my head touches the interior roof. Also, engine noise and passenger compartment soundproofing needs to be improved.

Unstoppable
By 0wn

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Cherokee from a salvage yard after it was hit on the front left wheel, ran into a pole or stoplight, and then flipped on its side. After that much abuse, I didn't expect it to start, much less be drivable. But amazingly, all it took was a new battery to get the Jeep started. I had a mechanic shop replace most of the steering system (the impact to the wheel bent a few parts), and then I replaced the panels that were damaged. It's quite amazing that I could pull the Jeep's exterior apart using simple hand tools and I was even able to salvage some the bent pieces. After repairing it, I never had any trouble. The engine will start in zero temperature and never causes problems.

Favorite Features

Incredibly resilient, they don't build SUVs like this anymore. And the interior is also reasonably comfortable, I don't notice any problems with rough ride. It can haul as much as you need with the seats down, and over any terrain. Highly recommended.

Suggested Improvements

Ive had some wiring problems with the windows, but it's a fairly easy fix. Vehicle is tall, so be carefull making tight turns at speed (but its not as bad as most other SUVs).

Not that great.....
By jeepsport99

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

For a Jeep I expected more. This vehicle has been nothing but problems. Shocks every 30 thousand miles, $1500 for upper and lower ball joints, both front bearings/hubs replaced, passenger rear leaf spring replaced, both O2 sensors replaced, clunky drive line. Now at 107,000 miles, water pump may be going. I think the most annoying thing to me is how the rear end sags because the leaf springs wear by design. Luckily I had a extended warranty up to 75,000 miles otherwise I would have been really upset. One thing that is good is that during the summer months I can get 20 mpg from the 190 hp inline six. This is a poor product and Chrysler Jeep should be ashamed.

Favorite Features

20 mpg (summer only) for an inline 6 with 190 hp.

Suggested Improvements

Beef up rear suspension, OEM shocks stink, they need to be better, fix clunky drive line.