Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1999 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

A satisfied Jeep owner
By frank

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Jeep for three reasons: 1. To be able to travel the roads during any weather conditions. Except for icy conditions, nothing has stopped the Jeep. 2. Towing: I tow my 4000 pound boat/trailer without concern and do not worry about being able to get the boat back out of the water. The Jeep brings the rig right up the steep, nasty public launch that I use. The only problem here is that the weight of the boat tries to drag the Jeep down the ramp, even with brakes locked. 3. Durability: My family has owned numerous Jeeps and they have always served us well (except an early 1980's 2.8L Cherokee). This Jeep is the best I have owned so far, even with putting 15K/year on it.

Favorite Features

A) 4 wheel drive system B) engine C) ability to go anywhere D) great vehicle for the money.

Suggested Improvements

A) gas mileage B) brakes.

Dream come true
By jepguy99

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep with 90k on it. I now have 125k just a year and a half later, I have had no mechanical problems whatsoever. I have put a 4 inch lift and 33 inch tires on this Jeep and I am still happy about the gas mileage. It takes me wherever I need to go. The engine is very powerful, I can spin the tires whenever I want. I've wanted a Jeep since I could remember and I don't plan on ever selling it. If it gets totaled I plan on buying another one. I love it and recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

Offroad performance, straight 6 lots of power, no problems, yet at least.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger back seat, but then again I never ride back there, wish I would have gotten a 5 speed.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic
By mjt1727

1999 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV 4WD

The 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic is a very utilitarian vehicle. It is a bit loud on the road, does not have the best gas mileage, and the six cylinder engine is adequate. That being said, there have been absolutely no major issues and the vehicle just keeps running.

Favorite Features

Four wheel drive is an excellent feature for Wisconsin winters. The body styling is, as the name suggests, classic.

Suggested Improvements

The gloss painted bumper of the Classic is not conducive to hauling as anything slid over the bumper leaves scratches in the paint. The interior is not roomy.

175k and still going strong...!
By 1goodjeep

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my '99 Cherokee Sport in July of 2005. It had 166k on it when I bought it, and its now nearing 175k. Only things I've done to it is put a bigger set of tires on it and a serpentine belt. After totaling a new TrailBlazer last February and getting into the Jeep, it is quite a bit smaller, but gets far better gas mileage. Handling is way better then the TrailBlazer also. I guess I lucked out when I found my black Cherokee. It has the 4.0L with the 5 speed, and it downright HAULS with the manual. It's no nonsense exterior design makes this Jeep awesome in the woods. VERY easy to maintain. Sure it's loud, not very comfortable, and somewhat small ... but hey it's a Jeep and that's what a Jeep is.

Favorite Features

5 speed hooked to the 4.0L, good gas mileage for a SUV, great A/C system, no nonsense exterior/interior. You can wash and wax this Jeep within a couple hours. Won't drain your wallet/purse at the pump. Extreme ease of maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

The stock headlights downright stink. I replaced mine with the Silverstars, and it made a HUGE difference.

Pure Jeep
By Matt The Hammer

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

If the interior was too small, why did you buy it? Cherokees were a low cost SUV that were passed by the modern minivan/"SUV" that are being sold now. It was one of the last real SUVs. SUVs were not nice to ride - they were utility vehicles. That being said, my Cherokee does exactly what I need it to do. It rides nice, decent mileage, and can carry a few people. Jeeps are easy and cheap to maintain. Use aftermarket replacement parts (there are A LOT of them out there) and you'll be happy with the Cherokee for quite some time. If you want a cushy, roomy, nice riding car: buy a minivan. If you want an SUV: buy a Jeep (except the Liberty).

Favorite Features

Easy and cheap to maintain, utilitarian design, classic look, abundance of aftermarket parts. The straight 6.

Suggested Improvements

Build your Jeep. Shop the internet for retailers who sell everything for the Cherokees. You can make this Jeep into anything you want or can afford.