Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Excellent all weather vehicle
By aphartman

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Cherokee (the first was a 96), and I've really enjoyed the restyle (done in 97). I get good fuel economy with the 5-speed manual, and the 4wd works well in the snow. Never breaks, but when it does it's inexpensive to repair and easy to do-it-yourself. An excellent all around SUV. It isn't the newest design or the most stylish, but I think it's the best. Jeep never should have killed it for the Liberty.

5-speed manual, traditional looks, 4wd, hauling room.

Console clearly designed for the automatic, sometimes manual shifter hits things plugged into lighters.

Love it!
By Jon

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my Jeep new on my 16th birthday and still have it now. It has never left me stranded and is still running strong with just routine maintenance at a tad over 100,000 miles. It is a great suv to have for all occasions, such as out with clients, moving furniture or just around town doing errands.

The 4WD rules in the snow. It is large enough to bring all of my stuff with room to spare back and forth to college. My jeep has great acceleration getting on highways and has enough power to get up long hills without struggling. reasonable gas mileage for its size (about 350 miles on highway).

Nothing.

Rugged
By EMTSquad51

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I always wanted a Jeep Cherokee growing up, finally got one and I've been loving it ever since! With two kids and a wife, this is a very comfortable ride on the 450 mile round trip to the in laws house we take about 4-5 times a year. Goes excellent in the snow and mud. At 100,250 miles, still going strong and haven't had any problems.

Power, style, gauge cluster, off-road capability.

Get rid of that junk Liberty and bring back the Cherokee Sport!

hmmm...
By jeepdriver99

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep with 66k miles on it. It is now 9 months later and I have put 3k miles on it. My Cherokee is a lemon! I purchased the extended warranty which would cover it fully until 2009 or 100k. I have had to bring it in to be serviced 6 times and only 2 were covered under warranty! Thankfully the REALLY expensive fixes were covered under warranty: driveshaft and transfer case cracking which would have set me back thousands of dollars. Three times the check engine light came on with the dealer telling me that the vapor canister was cracked, the gas tank was cracked, and some issue with my transmission. The other was when the crankshaft broke causing me to be stranded!

I love the styling and I wish they would continue with this type of design with current Jeeps. The four wheel drive system(SelecTrac) is amazing and I have never gotten stuck. The acceleration is also very good helping with quick acceleration onto the highway.

The backseat is a little too squishy and there should be headrests. The gas mileage is terrible with my average being around 14 mpg! With gas prices going up, I am looking for a smaller four cylinder car now. I also wish that the Jeep was more reliable. I have already paid $1500 for the repairs!

My Baby!
By Lindy26

1999 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Owned it for several years now. Plain as they come. 4 cylinder. 5-speed. Manual windows (remember those?). Added factory AM-FM tape/CD and roof racks. 2.5" lift is nice. K&N filter helped too. I've owned 5 other Jeeps with 4 cylinder and sticks; love em'. No rock climber but 4WD low is all I need for off roading anyway.

The style, classic boxy look. Interior is quite nice for everyday travel. Not too sparse (CJ series) but not "overloaded" with worthless junk.

Offer tachometers even on the "Plain Jane" XJ models. Overall I really can't think of anything else.

• SUV