Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Definitely Won't be in The Market for Another Jeep
By laneoc97

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

This car was a hand me down from my aunt. She and my uncle take very good care of their cars, so don't give me the whole "you must not have taken care of it" thing. This car has been nothing but problems. Endless electrical problems is the first issue. In less than a year that I've had this car, the automatic door locks, cruise control, trunk light, horn, airbag, and the windows have all stopped working. I've had several mechanic friends check all of the fuses and everything and they are all completely fine. I haven't taken it in yet cause I can't afford the huge costs. On top of all of that it has completely broken down twice AGAIN in just a year of having it. All in all just a huge pain.

Favorite Features

When this car is actually working, it's got enough power for any situation you're in. The handling on my sport model is pretty good. The steering feels tight and heavy at low speeds and lightens up on the highway. I like the trunk space and the very basic easy to use switches and nobs inside. Although the opposite of aerodynamic, the design and look of the car is pretty cool and classic jeep. Looks pretty tough and off-roady with its boxy profile and what not.

Suggested Improvements

The worst thing about this car is by far the reliability and electrical problems that are almost impossible to escape. But there is more that I don't like. For one thing, this thing is extremely top heavy. Get ready to go extremely slow around corners, because it seriously feels like it's going to roll even if you're going only a little faster than you should be. Also, it's pretty cramped inside. The back seat is super snug, and the drivers seat even set all the way back doesn't give me enough room and makes my ankle and back hurt on long drives. Gas mileage is also awful. Only about 14-16 mpg in mixed driving, just unacceptable! Last, 2WD models are useless. I've been stuck lots of times.

Dependable and Trouble-free Jeep
By mikeglenn

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

I have found this vehicle to be one of the best vehicles I have owned for the money. In 4 years and 75,000 miles, the only problem has been a wheel bearing. It rides a little rough and is noisey, but I can live with it because it has been so trouble-free. I liked my Jeep so well, I leased one for my son a few months after purchasing myne. He drove his for 3 years with no problems either.

Favorite Features

Dependability

Suggested Improvements

None since this vehicle is no longer in production