Used 1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Definitely Won't be in The Market for Another Jeep
By laneoc97

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

This car was a hand me down from my aunt. She and my uncle take very good care of their cars, so don't give me the whole "you must not have taken care of it" thing. This car has been nothing but problems. Endless electrical problems is the first issue. In less than a year that I've had this car, the automatic door locks, cruise control, trunk light, horn, airbag, and the windows have all stopped working. I've had several mechanic friends check all of the fuses and everything and they are all completely fine. I haven't taken it in yet cause I can't afford the huge costs. On top of all of that it has completely broken down twice AGAIN in just a year of having it. All in all just a huge pain.

Favorite Features

When this car is actually working, it's got enough power for any situation you're in. The handling on my sport model is pretty good. The steering feels tight and heavy at low speeds and lightens up on the highway. I like the trunk space and the very basic easy to use switches and nobs inside. Although the opposite of aerodynamic, the design and look of the car is pretty cool and classic jeep. Looks pretty tough and off-roady with its boxy profile and what not.

Suggested Improvements

The worst thing about this car is by far the reliability and electrical problems that are almost impossible to escape. But there is more that I don't like. For one thing, this thing is extremely top heavy. Get ready to go extremely slow around corners, because it seriously feels like it's going to roll even if you're going only a little faster than you should be. Also, it's pretty cramped inside. The back seat is super snug, and the drivers seat even set all the way back doesn't give me enough room and makes my ankle and back hurt on long drives. Gas mileage is also awful. Only about 14-16 mpg in mixed driving, just unacceptable! Last, 2WD models are useless. I've been stuck lots of times.

An old work horse
By pkelly502

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Let me just start off by saying I love my JEEP! And there is no denying it this baby is a Jeep. Some people think the only real Jeeps are Wranglers but that's not the case, this bad boy even stock has the capability to do some pretty amazing things off road. The best part about this jeep is that while being able to take it for a fun weekend camping or 4x4ing is nice and easy its also a great car to drive on the road,in the city or on the highway. I have a 99 cherokee sport in automatic (not listed on this site if im not mistaken) and she has over 230,000 miles with nearly no major repairs aside from a starter and a new ac pump. And of course some body damage fixes but that' my fault not hers

Favorite Features

I love the 4x4 on this, my dad drove this for nearly ten years hundreds of thousands of miles on the highway and back roads of Kentucky. It wasn't until i could drive and the jeep was mine that i found out just how impressive she can be off road. My cherokee is fully stock on stock wheels and no lift and it can do some things, that being said i have a buddy with a 98 sitting on 4.5" of lift and 35" tires and his cherokee can't be stopped on anything we have here in the bluegrass state.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously you know what you are buying this car for whether that be take the kids to soccer practice or building the Jeep of your dreams that can go anywhere. That being said if its a soccer mom jeep save your improvement money for little fixes like fixing the roof lining when it sages because stock shes got all you need, maybe brighter head lights? If you want off road then what can't you do to it? not in a bad way stock shes darn good, but with a small lift bigger tires and a bumper with a winch and some lights you will have your Jeep kicking ass and taking names, and fully outfitted like that she will be looking great while doing it.

Amazing car
By buttered

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car from my uncle at 127,000 miles. This thing is a beast. iv driven it to 182,000 miles and iv only had 2 problems. i had to replace the water pump and the rear O2 sensor. both cheap to buy and relatively easy to repair you self. i have never had a starting problem, well when its -30 out side in the morning she doesn't want to start, but she always starts. and people who complain about the drivetrain i have never had a problem, probably because i changed both rear and front differential fluid along with the transfer case fluid at about 160,000 miles, AND, i regular grease the drive shafts. All of theses are very easy to do and can significantly increase the live of a jeep.

Favorite Features

the rock solid 4x4 system. This thing is a beast in deeep snow and on the trail.

Suggested Improvements

the one thing that could be improves it the tiny mirrors

HORRIBLE vehicle: DO NOT BUY
By rickd9

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

This is the worst vehicle on the planet. Constant "Death Wobble" issues. Poorly designed. Aggravating Crank Position Sensor issues arise throughout the year (engine will not get spark causing no-start issues).

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Send all Cherokees to the scrap yard.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 3DR
By colorado14r

1999 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

After buying my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 3DR new, I proceeded to log over 168k miles in it until 2012. No power windows, roof rack or fancy bells or whistles. I just sold it last month. Most of my milage was city/hwy driving. I averaged 17/22 MPG. Not too bad with an air conditioner. The off roading in the snow was as impressive as a Jeep commercial can leagaly put on the TV. My service record shows normal maintenance. I needed to replace the clutch at around 90K and the air conditioner was replaced at 120k. The only real problem was a clutch sensor that kept burnig out 15A fuses in the fuse box. The sensor was replaced and it ran well ever since. I liked it so much I purchsed another Jeep.

Favorite Features

My fave with the 1999 Jeep Sport 3DR is the fact that I don't need to get out and lock the hubs like I did so often in my '74 CJ-5. It climbs walls and still cruises uphill at the speed limit. The 4liter is a good, strong motor. It's a Jeep, not a race car.

Suggested Improvements

Possibly adding some steel to the bumpers and 1/4 panels might make it a little bit tougher vehicle. Banging around trees and parking lots tend to reshape the vehicle exterior too easily. Watch out.