1999 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
An old work horse
By pkelly502 on 04/15/14 17:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Let me just start off by saying I love my JEEP! And there is no denying it this baby is a Jeep. Some people think the only real Jeeps are Wranglers but that's not the case, this bad boy even stock has the capability to do some pretty amazing things off road. The best part about this jeep is that while being able to take it for a fun weekend camping or 4x4ing is nice and easy its also a great car to drive on the road,in the city or on the highway. I have a 99 cherokee sport in automatic (not listed on this site if im not mistaken) and she has over 230,000 miles with nearly no major repairs aside from a starter and a new ac pump. And of course some body damage fixes but that' my fault not hers

Amazing car
By buttered on 01/18/13 18:15 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car from my uncle at 127,000 miles. This thing is a beast. iv driven it to 182,000 miles and iv only had 2 problems. i had to replace the water pump and the rear O2 sensor. both cheap to buy and relatively easy to repair you self. i have never had a starting problem, well when its -30 out side in the morning she doesn't want to start, but she always starts. and people who complain about the drivetrain i have never had a problem, probably because i changed both rear and front differential fluid along with the transfer case fluid at about 160,000 miles, AND, i regular grease the drive shafts. All of theses are very easy to do and can significantly increase the live of a jeep.

HORRIBLE vehicle: DO NOT BUY
By rickd9 on 11/28/12 10:18 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

This is the worst vehicle on the planet. Constant "Death Wobble" issues. Poorly designed. Aggravating Crank Position Sensor issues arise throughout the year (engine will not get spark causing no-start issues).

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 3DR
By colorado14r on 09/26/12 20:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

After buying my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 3DR new, I proceeded to log over 168k miles in it until 2012. No power windows, roof rack or fancy bells or whistles. I just sold it last month. Most of my milage was city/hwy driving. I averaged 17/22 MPG. Not too bad with an air conditioner. The off roading in the snow was as impressive as a Jeep commercial can leagaly put on the TV. My service record shows normal maintenance. I needed to replace the clutch at around 90K and the air conditioner was replaced at 120k. The only real problem was a clutch sensor that kept burnig out 15A fuses in the fuse box. The sensor was replaced and it ran well ever since. I liked it so much I purchsed another Jeep.

NEVER
By yz250r on 07/19/12 22:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

I AM NOT SATISFIDE! This jeep was good for about 4 months mialige 118,000 to curently 123,000 miles. Resently I`v had some major scairs. The engine on and off shakes the car. I can tell because normaly it would be a smoother feeling. At about 20 to 40 mph the car will leack forwars vilontly and will not produce power for 10 to 25 seconds. DO NOT GET THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
By carguy03 on 02/24/11 10:02 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I had a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. This Jeep had the 4.0L I-6 with a 4 speed automatic transmission. It was a very good vehicle for the West Virginia winters, my driveway is just over 2,000 ft up a hill, and it never failed to make it all the way to the top. I liked the vehicle, but it didn't have enough room. I would reccomend it to any of my friends.

This thing is a tank
By tlrthnu on 01/22/11 20:24 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This thing is a tank. Parents bought it new in '99, never had a major problem with it. The engine is rock solid. 190K miles on it and going strong as when it was new. Never had any leaks or any problems at all. Have replaced some parts outside of wear parts (rear springs, U-joints, front stabilizer shock), but this thing is tougher than nails. With new shocks and rear springs, rides better than my sports car. Even ran into a tree two years ago, had it fixed, and you could never tell anything ever happened to it. We expect to keep this Jeep at least another 100K miles. We live off three miles of rough dirt road and it takes the punishment and asks for more. Best vehicle we've ever owned.

Undervalued, in my opinion.
By Austin on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

First car. Had it for six years until it was rear ended. Literally drove it from coast to coast with no problems. Smooth response at lower speeds with just enough torque on the highway to get you around a semi in a hurry. Handling was great around town. Good turning radius. Bumpy ride. Passengers don't enjoy it much. Backseat kinda cramped. But from the driver's seat it's not a problem. Front shocks went out along with water pump and compressor after a few years. Other than that, the engine never gave me any problems, even with my terrible upkeep. Engine was abused with stop and go driving in 100 degree heat with few oil changes the whole time I drove it. Held up great.

Over 200,000 and still the best
By josh.w on 07/08/10 20:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I got this great suv in march of 2010 for my first vehicle. I love the style and ride with the 4.0 L 6 cylinder. It's easy to drive and great for a new driver. Mine has over 200,000 miles and still sounds great. I wish jeep still made these because they are the best.

A great friend
By Joe on 03/08/10 07:38 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I am retiring my 99 Jeep Cherokee Classic. I love this vehicle!! It still looks great after two wrecks and a 150,000 miles. I plan on having a little work done on it and then putting it in storage until my son turns 18 (18 years from now). It will be a hell of a gift for him - this is truly a classic vehicle and, in a way, I wish Jeep would bring the XJ style back but in another way I love the fact that I have one and they are not as easy to get anymore.