Wish Jeep still made this vehicle
By Dyscrasy on
1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD
I sold my Jeep Wrangler because I got tired of messing with the tops, and bought my Cherokee used, in perfect shape. I take it camping annually. Itís great on back roads, or no roads. I've taken him through streams, sand, on slick rock, over sagebrush and rocks, ditches and snow. It holds all my gear with room for me to sleep in it. Mine is a white Limited model, so it looks classy, but I bring it back covered in dust, mud and bugs. Great sound system, comfortable, powerful, great turning radius, great ground clearance. A perfect car for all purposes. The only thing I don't like is my back road and expressway combined trips average only 15mpg, not too good, but not bad enough to sell it!
Favorite Features
The very capable shift on the fly 4 wheel drive. After having gotten stuck once in a remote place in Wyoming (in a 2wd truck) I only drive 4WD. It's fun to watch other cars and trucks stop, as I shift into 4 LO and head into the stream. Eat my dust!
Suggested Improvements
Gas mileage. I've looked at converting the engine to take alternative fuels, but haven't found a feasible method and fuel yet. I wish the new Patriot came in 6 cylinder, it looks much like the Cherokee and would be a good replacement later, but I won't have a 4 cyl. I like the power of a 6.