1998 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Review: Bring back the Jeep Cherokee

1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Review

Sport 2dr SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Bring back the Jeep Cherokee
By lheywood on

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV

A great car for off road, and for me has been just fine on road. Has been pretty reliable for the first 13 years, then problems (see below).

Love the boxy shape, and the short wheel base. Best cupholders ever - 2 cupholders will allow 3 different size cups - can't be bettered in any 2011 compact SUV, and I have been looking! Fantastic off road capability for the 4WD. Comfortable seats and good driving position (I have tilt steering wheel). Lots of room in the back, you can take the back seat out completely, I have slept in the back many times.

Recurring problems with engine computer started after 13 years of ownership (I bought it brand new in 1997). Has left me stranded (2x) for weeks as part is no longer available and have to rebuild existing part in the car. Back seat is not meant for long trips. Steering is loose, but I have found that to be a problem with several Jeep Cherokees.