Computer hell
By Linrose on
1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV
I have replaced the computer in my 1998 Cherokee Sport 3 times. Luckily the last two were still under warranty. My mechanic tells me that the '98 model does this but the '97 and '99s don't. Tried junkyard dealers and was told they can't keep 'em in. Also the tach, speedometer, air bag lights fail intermittently. Probably different problems. Dont like the location of the "gear" indicator, causes me to look down, away from the road ahead. Otherwise I love it.
By lheywood
on 08/05/11 17:05 PM (PDT)

I have a 1998 SE 4WD Manual Trans. Engine computer is out for the 2nd time, fortunately still under warranty. Without car for 3 weeks this time, they could not find a new one, had to take computer out of my car and send to the east coast (I live in Idaho!), have it rebuilt and send it back. Apart from this problem, I have loved the car and would buy another if they still made them. Not good news to hear this is a problem with '98 models. I'm shopping for a new car, despite only having 125k miles on this one. Can't afford to be stranded without car for 3 weeks too many times! Especially off road.