1998 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Review: I'll Miss Mine

1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Review

I'll Miss Mine
By mfern23 on

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My Mom bought a 98 Cherokee Sport in October 1997 and she said this was the best car she ever owned. A little over six years later this became my car and it lasted another six years. Had some electrical issues (fuel gauge was useless) and one or two major repairs, but when it came down to it this was one reliable vehicle. Fuel economy was decent (16 city/21 hwy), ride was fairly comfortable, and the 4x4 was outstanding. Had to trade her in at 140,595 miles, loved her so much got another Jeep (06 Wrangler Sport, like this one too) but I will always miss her. Honestly, if they still made these Cherokees I would've gotten one.

Of course the 4x4, the car was rugged and could perform in inclement weather. I never worried about this car not being able to handle anything thrown at it's way, and this was with no offroading mods. The Cargo Space was nice as well, especially for a college vehicle.

Does me no good complaining about this now, but it would've been nice to have a working fuel gauge! There were other occasional electrical problems like the speedometer would fall to 0 randomly while driving and it would last a few minutes sometimes. Also, it would be nice to bring these back!