Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

The Best I've Ever Owned!
By Papi

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

I purchased this Jeep 3 years ago when it had about 70,000 miles. Before this Jeep I owned a '95 model. Today I've more than doubled the mileage (157,000) and I've tuned it up once, turned the rotors, replaced a radiator hose, and spent a minimal amount on the front end. (I've four wheeled a little and got air a few times... probably my fault.) Just routine maintenance. I expect to have this car until it drops. I would recommend this car to anyone... just make sure it's been maintained well. I use synthetic oil and Lucas additive.

4.0 6 cylinder will lay some rubber. Very rugged - and so fun to drive. Compact yet great for carrying the family and luggage etc.

All exterior plastic trim pieces fade from black to gray... looks tacky.

The Truth and nothing but...
By GLamb

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I inherited a '96 Cherokee in 2001 with 260,000 miles. Made many repairs to worn out parts but no faulty parts and unecessary towing bills with this vehicle. I ran it until it had 330,000 miles and then sold the vehicle for a surprising amount with many offers. At that time I purchased a '98 Cherokee with only 98,000 miles. It has treated almost as well as my first Jeep, but they just don't build like they use to. Well actually they don't build them at all anymore, but I suppose that's because the Wrangler got all the attention.

Command-trac 4WD w/o any computer or electronic shifting means it's in 4wd and it stays in 4wd. It's got a classic yet rugged look and is a great vehicle for many different kind of drivers.

There are many improvements a Cherokee owner could make. Or you could not change a thing and you would still have a long lasting dependable vehicle. Always change your oil.

Wish Jeep still made this vehicle
By Dyscrasy

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I sold my Jeep Wrangler because I got tired of messing with the tops, and bought my Cherokee used, in perfect shape. I take it camping annually. Itís great on back roads, or no roads. I've taken him through streams, sand, on slick rock, over sagebrush and rocks, ditches and snow. It holds all my gear with room for me to sleep in it. Mine is a white Limited model, so it looks classy, but I bring it back covered in dust, mud and bugs. Great sound system, comfortable, powerful, great turning radius, great ground clearance. A perfect car for all purposes. The only thing I don't like is my back road and expressway combined trips average only 15mpg, not too good, but not bad enough to sell it!

The very capable shift on the fly 4 wheel drive. After having gotten stuck once in a remote place in Wyoming (in a 2wd truck) I only drive 4WD. It's fun to watch other cars and trucks stop, as I shift into 4 LO and head into the stream. Eat my dust!

Gas mileage. I've looked at converting the engine to take alternative fuels, but haven't found a feasible method and fuel yet. I wish the new Patriot came in 6 cylinder, it looks much like the Cherokee and would be a good replacement later, but I won't have a 4 cyl. I like the power of a 6.

Mixed bag
By spikester

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

This is the second Jeep 4.0 motor vehicle that I have owned. This version is the high output version (approximately 190 hp). I bought this used and specifically wanted the "sport" version for its increased off-road ability. These small Cherokees are very reliable. A bit snug inside - the rear seat isn't made for adult Americans. Gas mileage is about 16 combined which isn't bad for a 4x4 with a/c and auto trans. Rides too stiff for the wife. The price you pay for the "sport" suspension. No cruise control either.

Great motor, o.k. transmission, everything works fine.

Brakes could be better, needs cruise control, should have stretched the body one foot to allow for better rear seat legroom.

A little beast
By Mario

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the Jeep with 87,000 miles on it two years ago, now it has 97,000. All I have done on it is replace the AC unit that comes inside of the dashboard (which was broken when I bought it). That was $600. I keep it completely standard and I just love it! it has the tough SUV looks from the outside but once you get in, you have the leather, heated and powered seats, powered windows and locks, the wood trim dashboard and so on. The 4.0L six cylinder in line engine is awesome; sometimes, when standing on a red light if a little so called "fast car" pulls next to me, they don't expect the quick response of the Jeep and I leave them thinking I got "something extra" in it.

Haven't been able to get it stuck yet, the strong engine mixed with good tires will pull him out every time.

Chrysler tried to replace it with the Liberty, which I have tried also but it is missing that OFF ROAD style. I guess that eventually, Jeep will come up with something else either improving the Liberty or with a whole different vehicle, but until then, I'll stick with the Cherokee.