Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Most Helpful|
Nothing else ever will compare
By IMChad

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this jeep. I'm on my 4th year of owning it and can't say enough. I've put around 80,000 miles on it and at 150,000 it still runs like brand new. During the winter, we had 24" of snow and it was below zero and it was nice being the only one in the neighborhood who didn't have to shovel the drive. When the plows came and buried the drives, I just climbed over it. Fuel mileage really does stink on this one though. I drive like an old lady mostly and I get 13 city and 17 highway/interstate. But, my wife gets 30 in her car and i still pay more a year keeping hers on the road. I've not changed anything but a wheel hub, tires, UV joint and battery. Not bad for 4 years of heavy driving.

Favorite Features

Dependability. This thing will start every time at any time. I've started it up in -20 degree weather and moshed deep snow without ever getting stuck and never once would it not start. I take this thing on trips across country and never worry one bit.

Suggested Improvements

None. I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs and I find it hard to fit in a lot of vehicles. This thing is wonderful. With three kids and my wife, we all fit fine. Its a little tight on long trips, but I wouldn't sell it for 10,000 and thats no joke.

Bring it back!!!
By Chris

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it with 55K, put a clutch in it shortly after due to previous owner. Now has over 130K. Mechanically more reliable than anything on the road, but the body is rusting pretty bad. Only weak points are the saggy rear leaf springs, all you owners know what I'm talking about! Relatively cheap aftermarket fix though :) Getting hard to get factory parts for due to Chrysler going haywire.

Favorite Features

4wd goes absolutely anywhere. 4.0L I6 although not a speed demon, will pull a house down. Had it sideways @ 55+MPH and didn't roll over.

Suggested Improvements

Like the Cummins Diesel, boost the Hp with a 24 valve head.

Best auto I have ever owned!
By old_marine

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

We leased this car in 1997, drove it till the lease was up then purchased it in 2001. Without a doubt the most reliable car I ever owned. It now has 387,000 miles and running strong. The only things I have had to do to it was the AC compressor which died around 360K, and the muffler/plumbing. Crankcase sensor, had to replace it 3 times, but not for 3 years now. An idiot (last cc sensor failure) convinced me I needed a valve job, so OK, 270K, go ahead. He called me to come look at something. I went, he showed me the clyinders, and you could still see the original cross hatching, and no ridges! AMAZING, that 4.0! PLESE bring it back with the 4.0 and I'll buy till I die!

Favorite Features

Dependability. Handling. Classic Looks.

Expected more...
By rlb4227

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

Was reliable until about 100K. Was constantly in the shop. At about 118K was in the shop monthly. Finally overheated on the side of the interstate and was pronounced dead. I was expecting much more from a Jeep. Previously owned a 93 Cherokee and made it just past 200K before it died.

i will always own a cherokee
By builtnotbought

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned a cherokee for 5 years. i paid $2k for it and have invested in a 3in rough country suspension lift and 30in yokohama geolander AT tires. not a hill in arizona i need to go up and havent been able too. ive never had to turn around on a trail. keep in mind jeeps are built not bought. i hear stories of peoples jeep bugging out on them early ill tell you first hand its because the owner did something wrong. 4.0 straight 6 are bullet proof. economic and powerful. from the trail to the road. there will always be a cherokee in my garage even if its not a primary. not enough room to say all the things i want about it. jeep cherokee's refuse to die. remember theyre built not bought.

Favorite Features

fuel economy... for a 4x4 vehicle 20 mpg on highway with a 3 inch lift and 30 in AT tires. commute 32 miles round trip to work daily, durability, life of vehicle, TURN RADIUS! TURN RADIUS! TURN RADIUS! Can take a beating a keeps on chugging. takes on any trail or any distance of travel. Cross states or cross country it will take it on.No such thing as "cant do it" with a properly built jeep. Essentially a tank! i love working on a vehicle. and a jeep give me somethhing to do without breaking my bank or taking up alot of time.

Suggested Improvements

1 con. Cup holders suck or dont exist. Not a performance issue though. I made my own cup holders #homebrew :)