1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
My second jeep cherokee
By jasonc314 on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this jeep off some goofy dealer in Ohio who i honestly think he was slow. I won a auction on Ebay and snagged it for $5000. It had 98k miles when i got it, it now has 106000. I like the jeep because of the first one i bougt was an'89 with 88k. I still have it but has turned into a body work project due to rust but it never broke down. Anyway, we get a lot of snow and this thing is insane in snow/mud. Havent had a chance to get new one in snow/mud. THE GAS MILEAGE SUCKS BADLY, but i love the power. I could burn off the tires in three street blocks.Easy to work on.Nickel and dime problems Lose the liberty, bring back CHEROKEE.

Still going strong
By Connick on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

Going on 4 years old my 99 white ltd is still very reliable. The only issue I had was the replacement of the front wheel bearings. Other than that Its been pretty good. Never had any problems engine-wise.

LOVE THIS RIG
By Yakamom on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with 19,000 miles on it and now it has 58,000 it runs better than ANY car I have ever had.

keep both hands on the wheel
By Rocky Mountain on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Poor brakes,rear hatch rattles,hood release lever released in my hands. This vehicle is ideal for 4 wheel driving.

It's a Jeep thing
By T-Lo on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

This is an excellent small SUV. The 4.0 is bulletproof. It is the easiest to service 4WD vehicle I have ever seen. The spark plugs are easy to get to, the transfer case has a drain plug, the differentials are easily serviced, there are no CV boots (straight axle), etc. Step on the gas and it goes, along with your fuel mileage though. At 80,000 miles, the only unscheduled maintenance has been the brakes and a power window regulator. Back seat is good for kids but adults couldn't ride there for long. A lift on this SUV is cheap and simple and they are available from mild to wild.

I adore my jeep. I want to marry it.
By MegCram on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

I really love this car. It was my dad's until two years ago when he gave it to me for my sixteenth birthday. It's fun to drive -lots of power, and it's never had to go into the shop for anything major. In almost 3 years I've put about 70,000 miles on it because I travel a ways to school, but the only problem is that sometimes- in very cold weather- it doesn't want to start immediately...and that's not too much of an inconvienence. And the gas milage isn't terrible for an SUV-I get about 23 mpg. It still runs great and I could drive it forever. I love my jeep, I really do.

98JeepCherokee Lmt - Strong & Reliable
By 98JeepCherkLmt on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this vehicle for almost 6 years. I have not had one problem with it. It is strong and reliable. Suprisingly good handling. Jeeps are great vehicles that are fun to drive in every condition (except windy conditions). This truck combines the rough and rugged with a taste of luxury with its leather seats and steering wheel and 10 cd disc changer. I give it two thumbs up.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
By Roger Smith on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

Coming up on 5 years of ownership. This is the bright red (Flame Red) Jeep color. Paint has held up extremely well. Mechanically, this has been a very sound car. I have the 4.0 6 cyl. engine. "Bullet proof." This is the 3rd Jeep Cherokee that I have owned. Quite pleased and a safe car. Easy to maintain and very reliable. Ride is more "truck like" than a Grand Cherokee - I own one of those, too...Make no mistake - in the snow or in slick conditions the Cherokee out- performs the Grand Cherokee

capable and fun
By tropicalbob on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Once you get over the horrible gas mileage, you'll love this vehicle, its fast, with 190 hp and lighter than the blazer and explorer, and capable, its great pulling boats and jetskis out of the lake on dirt ramps, and my friends are always amazed at what I can get unstuck , I pulled out my friends explorer (2001) last winter, and a passport which was stuck in the woods behind his house, that was funny since he paid twice as much, and I was driving thru the same mud he got stuck in

1998 Jeep is not too exciting
By jshmanda on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

The car has not been too bad. Bought it for the teenage kids and it survived five years. No engine problems, but the radio needed to be replaced, window regulator had to be replace, fog light switched was replaced, sometimes the dash board goes blank, and the A/C system has a leak.