Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Is this for real?
By Is this suv for real

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

My Father brought this home new when I was in high school. He used it for the work commute. Last year, with 212k problem free miles on it, he just gave it to me!! I now have near 245k miles on her and it runs and sounds just like when he first brought it home!! I cannot say enough about this engine and vehicle!! It boggles my mind that Jeep could get rid of it!! You couldn't PAY me to drive a Liberty! 3. who? I really believe that with my REGULAR maintenance I'll get well over 350k. We'll see!

Favorite Features

I-6 power and dependability, UNMATCHED (any manufacturer) 4WD capability, smoke a viper from a dead stop power and it's AMERICAN!!

Suggested Improvements

FIRE the decision makers who got rid of the Cherokee!! and its I-6 engine!!

Is this vehicle real?
By SAMS JEEP

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

Back in High School my dad bought this jeep and brought it home as a work vehicle. Traveling to and from Chicago and back to the burbs. It was given to me last year, 10 years later and with 276 thousand miles!!! on her..she still runs and sounds the SAME as ten years ago! Though the fuel economy sucks, I have never had a vehicle be so wonderful in ways never thought possible. Its more reliable than any vehicle made on earth and handles better in harsh weather than cars that cost 3 times what she did.

Favorite Features

4wd, off the line torque, storage room and DEPENDABILITY.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing.

Lot of Miles
By RDS

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep new and now have 178000 miles on it. I have done very little maintenance on it other than regular stuff like oil changes etc.. I get around 23 mpg with the 4.0 six/5 spd. I still have the original clutch in it. I wish they still made the Cherokee.

Favorite Features

It is a pleasure to drive and can go anywhere.

Excellent Spare/Snow Vehicle
By byron555

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

After exchanging our Subaru Outback for a mini van we found our selves without 4x4 for the first time. And we proceed with the snowiest winter in recorded Wisconsin history. We bought this as a "spare" vehicle, I say spare but it is now being used more than our 07 Hyundai Entourage Limited mini van. The 4.0 with the 5 speed accelerates with force up to 65 mph. The snow capability and stability easily rivals our old Outback, and the off road ability absolutely crushes the Outback. It is also far cheaper than a used Outback. I really like Subaru's and have owned 7 of them, but I like this Jeep better than the 2000 Outback we owned.

Favorite Features

Snow Ability, very off-roadable, excellent engine/transmission combo, love the old school design (boxy wagon and solid axle suspension). The size is perfect for all around use.

Suggested Improvements

MPG, fairly low but at least I have a VW Jetta TDI to commute in(47 mpg combined). Another vast improvement would be to start manufacturing it again.

The best vehicle ever built!
By jeep lover

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I have driven my Cherokee to hell and back, and it still keeps ticking. Yeah, I rides like a tank, leaks some, and does not get the greatest mpg, but it is the most reliable vehicle I will ever own. It has never left me stranded, stuck, or regretful. After 200000 miles, I still get the same mileage, and performance as I did when I bought it. Great project vehicle, and daily driver. I recommend anyone to buy it. Mobil, Lucas, K&N. Total cost of repair at 200,000+ miles--$2000, minus wear and tear (plugs, oil,tires, etc.).

Favorite Features

NP 231 Transfer case, 4.0L engine, ease of general maintainence

Suggested Improvements

A\C, Jeep's biggest flaw, 120 volt outlet