1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
A little adds up to a lot
By Snow in DC on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I've enjoyed our Jeep. Purchased at 68K and now at 109K we've had to replace the exhaust system, the heater core, the AC core, the water pump, the brakes, the left signal doesn't work, and the left speaker also doesn't work. With a ten year old in the back seat it's too small. We also had to purchase a turtle for the top b/c the back is too small for a family of four's luggage. But all in all, we've enjoyed it and plan on keeping it for awhile. After all, we've had all of the work done! What more could go wrong??

Now it's nice
By Ramblin' Gal on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

When I first bought it, it was major trouble...I needed the water pump, the oil gauge and something else replaced the first 6 months and it was heating up alot. The battery went out 4 times- the rear cargo door wouldn't close all the way and ran down the battery....I thought I had a lemon. Almost filed, but the dealership fixed everything OK and it has been reliable since then, except it seemed like it needed new tires and brakes too often and I do a combo of city and expressway driving . It always goes through the water and snow- it does slip in very sloppy conditions.

Great performance, crappy interior
By Golf09 on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I am a high school kid who bought the jeep with 87000 miles on it. Got for a heck of a deal, $6800. It is an amazing car except when it comes to the interior. All the cheap plastic and other junk in there rattles or squeaks. The backseat is also a pain in the butt to get in and out of. Also the gas gauge seems to be getting a little weak. Just last weak i was on empty, put 6 bucks in and some how was still on empty.???

Bring back the Cherokee!
By Great SUV on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

1st Cherokee was a '90, bought new. Bought this one new also & now has 85K miles. Still love it, but am considering buying a new SUV. Hate the Liberty!! So probably will move to Grand Cherokee, but I prefer the smaller size of the Cherokee. It's easier for me & my dog to get into. I'm a real estate agent & if it weren't for the hard-to-get-into back seat, I wouldn't be thinking of changing. It's been just great, very reliable and still looks new!

V6+stick+low weight+4WD=great to drive
By caesar91 on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Owned since new, now has ~50K, runs better than ever. Great to drive with V6, stick, and lower weight than most SUVs. Strongly recommend stick-like to downshift into turns to manage SUV-roll risk while keeping up power. And it helps with mileage (18-20MPG). Only maintenance has been oil chgs & tires once. No rust/exterior problems, though it has been garaged mostly. Would get 4DR - trick to get in/out of backseat. Still not sure 4DR that would make it a family SUV-ride is pretty bumpy for munchkins in car seats. Echo all comments about 4WD & snow; with locking 4WD (not AWD with differentials) you get great power & traction.

Made for driving off-road
By nd826 on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine as a lease return and have had only one problem - the transfer case was shot, probably because the previous person drove with PT 4WD on *all* the time (clearly not the brightest). Warranty covered it, so it wasn't so bad. Every other aspect runs beautifully - tons of power from the in-line 6 cyl. engine, and amazing off-road capability. I've been in snow and mud up to my fenders, but my cherokee climbs right out of it. The MPG isn't bad for an SUV - 20-22 MPG on avg. for me. The ride comfort isn't great, esp. in the tight back seat, but I'm happy to trade a little on-road comfort for the off-road/bad weather confidence :)

luv my jeep
By vega on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

bought it w/30k miles, it's got 130k HARD miles on it now & it's still kicking (not w/o some little quirks.... nothing serious, just gives it character! This little SUV kicks butt..... it's unstoppable! Let it snow! & rain!? Ha! I rescued people in BIG SUV's during a recent flash flood. PLUS it tows my horse trailer.... not bad for a 6 cylinder! I love this baby and wish they still made 'em!

my kids WILL drive this car
By I_liveinthewoods on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

i enjoy driving this vehicle because its loud and fast and handles like an italian sports car(some modifications have been made). this is not a hugh suv, but the front seats are more comfy than my freinds 02' bmw, his heat up though.Ive invested a little money into a sound system so i can almost drowed out the open exhaust! this is the second jeep ive owned(first was a 97 tj) and they can not be beat for off road capability. you can drive up things that you cannot walk up with this vehicle. owning a jeep is something everyone should try at least once, and then youll understand- its a jeep thing-

I LOVE MY JEEP!!!!
By abe2139 on 02/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I have never owned or seen another vehicle that can get around in the snow and ice like my jeep can. I live in a very wintry weather area and have never once worried about getting stuck.

A Jeep is Not Just a Jeep!
By whyi on 11/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

Today,Jeeps are the most motivating and relaxing driving experience on the road. One of my sources of relaxation is taking a short or long drive in the city or on the open highway. Driving my Jeep exceeds the level of comfort and performance of my previous vehicles and helps me achieve relaxation. I LOVE MY JEEP!