Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Computer hell
By Linrose

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

I have replaced the computer in my 1998 Cherokee Sport 3 times. Luckily the last two were still under warranty. My mechanic tells me that the '98 model does this but the '97 and '99s don't. Tried junkyard dealers and was told they can't keep 'em in. Also the tach, speedometer, air bag lights fail intermittently. Probably different problems. Dont like the location of the "gear" indicator, causes me to look down, away from the road ahead. Otherwise I love it.

The best Jeep ever!
By flyboy

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

Ok, I bought this great Jeep in 2004 and I have put on over 80,000 miles without anything more than wear and tear slowing me down. Extremely reliable, why did they get rid of this?

Power, ability never to become stuck, and I have tried.

Bring it back!

Nothing else ever will compare
By IMChad

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this jeep. I'm on my 4th year of owning it and can't say enough. I've put around 80,000 miles on it and at 150,000 it still runs like brand new. During the winter, we had 24" of snow and it was below zero and it was nice being the only one in the neighborhood who didn't have to shovel the drive. When the plows came and buried the drives, I just climbed over it. Fuel mileage really does stink on this one though. I drive like an old lady mostly and I get 13 city and 17 highway/interstate. But, my wife gets 30 in her car and i still pay more a year keeping hers on the road. I've not changed anything but a wheel hub, tires, UV joint and battery. Not bad for 4 years of heavy driving.

Dependability. This thing will start every time at any time. I've started it up in -20 degree weather and moshed deep snow without ever getting stuck and never once would it not start. I take this thing on trips across country and never worry one bit.

None. I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs and I find it hard to fit in a lot of vehicles. This thing is wonderful. With three kids and my wife, we all fit fine. Its a little tight on long trips, but I wouldn't sell it for 10,000 and thats no joke.

My 2 wheel drive jeep
By alex8277

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

So its two wheel drive. My friend has a Blazer I can get everywhere he can just as fast. With out the 4 wheel drive. So it doesn't get stuck I love her.

the magical feature that it doesn't get stuck.

um gluing on the rear view mirror so it doesn't fall of when you're going 40 down a pothole road. lol

Southern Jeep
By Southern Jeep

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 98' Jeep used in 2000. It's the best money I ever spent!! This bad boy has NEVER seen the inside of a garage. Just minor repairs from wear and tear (and too much 4 wheelin!!). I have 187,000 miles and it purrs like a kitten. The only way to describe thos model Jeep is unbreakable!! I would not even consider selling it. Liberty, Commander, Compass, yeah righ. These models cannot begin to fill the shoes of a 4WD 98 Jeep Cherokee!! Bad move discontinuing this model Jeep.

Hard as steel and tough as nails!!

Bring it back on the market so I can buy another one!! And keep my old one of course....

• SUV