1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
It's good for me...
By Ramblerman on 03/20/06 17:41 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep with 117,000 miles on it. I had to rebuild the steering and put tires on it. The exhaust manifold was broken (a common problem on the 4.0L Jeep motors), but I replaced it with a lifetime guaranteed manifold from Gale Banks Engineering. It runs great and has no problem merging with traffic getting on the Interstate highways. It has the leather seats and I may install seat heaters because of that. It seems a little more cramped inside than my '86 Cherokee, but it's still not too bad to drive three hours to work.

Bulletproof 98 SE 4Dr, 4WD
By Ted on 01/26/06 16:04 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it NEW in '98, now have 136K on it. Have the 4.0 L I-6 motor & 5 speed manual tranny -- super strong. 23 mpg highway is FAB for a boxy SUV this capable. Like the look, like the color (chili pepper red), like the performance, LOVE the durability. NO major repairs. Biggest repair item has been waterpump. HUGE value for the money. We have the cheap dash w/ idiot lights, and the gas gauge has had problems for years. My wife's vehicle, and it does all our "dirty work" hauling stuff, and ALL snow duty. Interior is plain, back seat best for kids, but tolerable for 1 - 2 hour trips for adults. I see these Cherokees ROUTINELY go 250-300K. 4WD is easy to use. ALL JEEP, ALL GOOD.

Ryan's Jeep Review
By RyanJeep on 07/16/05 08:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV

Very reliable. Kept regular maintenance schedule ... minimal down-time for mechanical repairs over the life of the vehicle. In family since new.

couldn't of picked a better vehicle
By DSINKA on 06/03/05 10:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle could drive through a cow pasture and come out smelling like a rose in my book. Te most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. I have over 150,000 miles on it and changed a power steering pump on it; that's all. These Cherokees were made to last. I will continue to purchase this Jeep line forever.

What a Jeep!
By mozbeach on 04/29/05 10:51 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Jeep, my first Cherokee, used in 2000. Traded in my '93 Wrangler for it. Thought I would hate it without the rag top, but this car is great. Carries my kids and all my toys. Runs great in all weather/conditions. I now have 170,000 miles (68,000 when bought) and am just starting to replace original equipment. Only negatives are the gas mileage and my instrument gauges periodically fail. No mechanic has been able to find the cause. Despite that I will never buy another SUV other than a Jeep.

4 wheeling
By Ironman on 04/25/05 13:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

I bought mine with 64,000 miles on it. It now has 112,000 and is still going strong. Overall dependability has been very good, just regular maintenance. Yes, it's loud, mileage is pretty bad & the back seat could be more comfortable, but it's also very practical. Love it ! And, it never feels like it's going to tip over, like other SUV's. I don't have any modifications made - all stock. I never thought I could have this much fun in an SUV !

Not a single problem
By Doc Stevens on 01/06/05 14:59 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought at 15k and driven daily since 2001. A great vehicle. No major issues. Great fun to drive. The 4.0L puts the "sport" in sport utility! Built solidly, no rattles, etc. It is a shame that Jeep stopped making this body style and this porven engine. The new Liberty looks like all of the Japanese SUV's out there.

1998 Jeep Cherokee
By jeeper on 11/11/04 15:45 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

Only repairs have been replacement of driver's window motor and window/door lock switch. Replaced tires and battery as a precaution since both were 7 years old.

My Tank
By ScootertheMan on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the Jeep new because I was tired off getting stuck in the snow. The Jeep is like a tank and rides like one also. I take it hunting and drive it over plowed muddy fields without any worry of getting stuck. I have 65,000 mi on it and have had no major problems.

Excellent, tough truck.
By IronWagon on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Cherokee's have always been a tough, reliable 4WD. After owning one for years and 120K miles, I agree. Luxurious, no. Many vehicles are more comfortable. Small, nimble, simple vehicles, yes. Very durable too. One turn signal switch has been replaced. All other items, tires, brakes, oil, etc., were maintenance items. This is a vehicle that has seen many offroad miles in the Southwestern deserts, and it seems to be just breaking in. Offroad, it will leave posuer 4x4's (Xterra, etc) behind, including very expensive ones. The 4.0L engine has more in common with a tractor, but they'll run past 300K with basic shadetree mechanic skills. A simple scan of the used Cherokees bears this out. A+