Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

The end of an era
By Old Bear

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Rugged tough vehicle with plenty of power on tap. Well built and gives you plenty of street cred. Yes, it is rather juicy but what else would you expect from a four litre engine. What I loose in fuel bills I save in general repair costs. Why on earth did they stop making them?

Sheer power, excellent brakes and really fun to drive.

Not much room in the back so could be roomier.

Love my Cherokee Sport!
By jon

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I have loved my jeep since the day i started driving it. I have the 5 speed manual transmission, this is the only way to go, i can't even imagine having a boring auto. The Jeep has 132000 miles now and is still running strong. Hardly ever done any work on it, only new shocks, u-joints, cat. converter, and muffler.The shocks were just something i did for no real reason, just thought it would be a good idea, but my u-joints did go bad. Love the 4x4, the front seats, love the ENGINE! Very reliable. Never lets me down, always starts right up in the cold too. It is a wonder to have in the winter. Michigan winters are pretty intense, and it is just unstoppable in the snow. Would buy one again now!

4x4, 4x4, 4x4, it is absolutely awesome! I also love the 5 speed. The jeep has really good acceleration too. I would love to go rock crawling in it, but i want it to last a really long time. The engine is also absolutely bullet proof. Front seats are also very comfortable.

The only complaints i have is the exhaust system, it is pretty weak. i chopped off my cat. converter and straight piped it cause it was dying, and put on a new muffler cause it was dying too. It could use less plasticy surfaces, and more storage areas, but that's it!

Best vehicle I'll ever own
By gotta love the jeep

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

I inherited this when my dad passed a couple of years ago, and between him, my mom, and myself, we've put 55,000 miles on this Cherokee. My mom and sister both have Grand Cherokees (98 and 99), but neither compare to the way this one performs on or off-road. The ride is a little bouncy at times, but that's to be expected for a truck-based SUV. Even then, it rides much better than many current car-based SUV wanna-bes and newer mid-sized truck-based SUVs with independent suspension, IMHO. I'll also tell you that this is one vehicle the designers and engineers got right, even with upgrades as the model years moved along.

The 4 wheel drive system makes this vehicle unstuckable (if it's not a word, it is now!) and the layout of the interior is pretty well though out considering the amount of space available between the front and rear wheel wells. Rear speakers in the headliner is a nice touch too.

Bring it back. Maybe with a 3 inch wider track and larger wheel/tire packages. Oh, and a turbocharged version of the straight 6 242ci if it's possible (though it's unneeded, since the 242ci will pull stumps out of the ground without trying).

Computer hell
By Linrose

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

I have replaced the computer in my 1998 Cherokee Sport 3 times. Luckily the last two were still under warranty. My mechanic tells me that the '98 model does this but the '97 and '99s don't. Tried junkyard dealers and was told they can't keep 'em in. Also the tach, speedometer, air bag lights fail intermittently. Probably different problems. Dont like the location of the "gear" indicator, causes me to look down, away from the road ahead. Otherwise I love it.

The best Jeep ever!
By flyboy

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

Ok, I bought this great Jeep in 2004 and I have put on over 80,000 miles without anything more than wear and tear slowing me down. Extremely reliable, why did they get rid of this?

Power, ability never to become stuck, and I have tried.

Bring it back!