Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Won't die unless YOU kill it
By heartwine

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep has an engine and transmission that just won't quit. Despite years of being driven by a mechanically-deficient person, it always seems to start and get us down the road. As far as creature comforts go, forget about it! The a/c was the first to go, followed by the control panel (speedometer, gauges etc) which often requires fiddling with the trip reset button to get the gauges to work again. Then, alas the heater has started to fade. Couldn't ask for a better SUV for living in the snowy north, but the lack of amenities in this old mule is a definite relationship-ender.

4 wheel drive in the snow

Interior integrity and HVAC systems stink

it wont Die
By vtags

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

267,000 miles...more worried about the rust possibilities than anything mechanical. It is a dependable tank. Not glamorous, just reliable

Free from fear

My Big Little SUV
By lcd231

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my jeep with 93 thousand miles and have 113 thousand now and have had very little go wrong. its my second Cherokee. My first one was an 88 limited and i sold it with 377 thousand miles and was still running very well This thing will be buried with me!

Cold A/C, 4x4, nimble ride, very durable and couldn't ask for anything better

bring back the cherokee and the 4.0 inline six.

Champ
By Aaron

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the jeep smashed up in the front for a great price. Bought some new and used parts and painted it in my garage. Has been great ever since. Yearly maintenance is $100-$200 on average and I pile the miles on it. More reliable and durable than anything on the road. Everyone says in these reviews that they wish they still built them, the truth is that they do in China. AMC/Renault put a plant there in the 80's and they still build them today. Maybe they will offer them for sale here, I would buy one.

Tough as nails, easy to repair, reliable and those Renault style buckets have always been a favorite seat every since my renault fuego.

Import them from China, they would sell as well or better than some of the SUV's today. Interior could be more friendly and use less plastic, but the designs are over 25yrs old now, Holding up very well considering that fact.

The BEST Vehicle I have ever bought !
By Jessica

1998 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV

I bought mine back in 2005 it is 2WD and it had 90,000 on it. The price was right so I couldn't pass it up. I am so glad I bought that Jeep, this May will be 5 years that I have had it, and I have only a few repairs. I replace a water pump at 145,000, and a clutch at 180,000. Other than that it has been only your basic up keep. I now have 220,000 on it! It's still going strong, this vehicle has sat put year round in the MN cold and it has always started, not once has it not. Everything still works great in it except the air did go out at 183,000. I will never get rid of my Jeep its been awesome! It is sad to know that they did stop making them after 2000.

The reliability, the interior, and exterior has held up awesome !

BRING IT BACK !!!!!!!!!!