1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
Nothing else ever will compare
By IMChad on 09/28/08 20:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this jeep. I'm on my 4th year of owning it and can't say enough. I've put around 80,000 miles on it and at 150,000 it still runs like brand new. During the winter, we had 24" of snow and it was below zero and it was nice being the only one in the neighborhood who didn't have to shovel the drive. When the plows came and buried the drives, I just climbed over it. Fuel mileage really does stink on this one though. I drive like an old lady mostly and I get 13 city and 17 highway/interstate. But, my wife gets 30 in her car and i still pay more a year keeping hers on the road. I've not changed anything but a wheel hub, tires, UV joint and battery. Not bad for 4 years of heavy driving.

My 2 wheel drive jeep
By alex8277 on 07/19/08 17:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

So its two wheel drive. My friend has a Blazer I can get everywhere he can just as fast. With out the 4 wheel drive. So it doesn't get stuck I love her.

Southern Jeep
By Southern Jeep on 06/24/08 19:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 98' Jeep used in 2000. It's the best money I ever spent!! This bad boy has NEVER seen the inside of a garage. Just minor repairs from wear and tear (and too much 4 wheelin!!). I have 187,000 miles and it purrs like a kitten. The only way to describe thos model Jeep is unbreakable!! I would not even consider selling it. Liberty, Commander, Compass, yeah righ. These models cannot begin to fill the shoes of a 4WD 98 Jeep Cherokee!! Bad move discontinuing this model Jeep.

2 door bigwheel pimp!
By dj on 06/08/08 19:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV

I got my Jeep in October of 2007 and I love it! I received it with 93,000 miles on it and it has bout 120,000 miles now. Just recently I had to replace the crank shaft censor and the radiator fan assembly, but overall it's a great build and like a rock. Mine is 2 door and White with tent and I have big bowlegged tires on it and I just changed the grill to chrome to match my rims. I am officially obsessed with my Jeep and its brand.

Built to Outlast !!
By GreatToBeAJeep on 06/07/08 12:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had a Jeep Since 1994.I Bought my 1998 Cherokee in 2002 used. I have had some work done but all was wear and tear.I plan to bury this Jeep until the wheels fall off or it cost to much to fix(replace).That's how much I FEEL about my Jeep.P.S. Look around for these Jeeps. It's hard to find them like this !

Is this for real?
By Is this suv for real on 06/01/08 17:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

My Father brought this home new when I was in high school. He used it for the work commute. Last year, with 212k problem free miles on it, he just gave it to me!! I now have near 245k miles on her and it runs and sounds just like when he first brought it home!! I cannot say enough about this engine and vehicle!! It boggles my mind that Jeep could get rid of it!! You couldn't PAY me to drive a Liberty! 3. who? I really believe that with my REGULAR maintenance I'll get well over 350k. We'll see!

Is this vehicle real?
By SAMS JEEP on 03/21/08 23:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

Back in High School my dad bought this jeep and brought it home as a work vehicle. Traveling to and from Chicago and back to the burbs. It was given to me last year, 10 years later and with 276 thousand miles!!! on her..she still runs and sounds the SAME as ten years ago! Though the fuel economy sucks, I have never had a vehicle be so wonderful in ways never thought possible. Its more reliable than any vehicle made on earth and handles better in harsh weather than cars that cost 3 times what she did.

Lot of Miles
By RDS on 03/19/08 19:23 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep new and now have 178000 miles on it. I have done very little maintenance on it other than regular stuff like oil changes etc.. I get around 23 mpg with the 4.0 six/5 spd. I still have the original clutch in it. I wish they still made the Cherokee.

Excellent Spare/Snow Vehicle
By byron555 on 03/16/08 08:24 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

After exchanging our Subaru Outback for a mini van we found our selves without 4x4 for the first time. And we proceed with the snowiest winter in recorded Wisconsin history. We bought this as a "spare" vehicle, I say spare but it is now being used more than our 07 Hyundai Entourage Limited mini van. The 4.0 with the 5 speed accelerates with force up to 65 mph. The snow capability and stability easily rivals our old Outback, and the off road ability absolutely crushes the Outback. It is also far cheaper than a used Outback. I really like Subaru's and have owned 7 of them, but I like this Jeep better than the 2000 Outback we owned.

The best vehicle ever built!
By jeep lover on 03/01/08 12:39 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I have driven my Cherokee to hell and back, and it still keeps ticking. Yeah, I rides like a tank, leaks some, and does not get the greatest mpg, but it is the most reliable vehicle I will ever own. It has never left me stranded, stuck, or regretful. After 200000 miles, I still get the same mileage, and performance as I did when I bought it. Great project vehicle, and daily driver. I recommend anyone to buy it. Mobil, Lucas, K&N. Total cost of repair at 200,000+ miles--$2000, minus wear and tear (plugs, oil,tires, etc.).