Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

98 jeep xj
By desprado227

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

228500 mi and still as strong as the day it was born JEEPS RULE THE EARTH all others try to follow

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

rock gard on the bottems and on the sides

Best auto I have ever owned!
By old_marine

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

We leased this car in 1997, drove it till the lease was up then purchased it in 2001. Without a doubt the most reliable car I ever owned. It now has 387,000 miles and running strong. The only things I have had to do to it was the AC compressor which died around 360K, and the muffler/plumbing. Crankcase sensor, had to replace it 3 times, but not for 3 years now. An idiot (last cc sensor failure) convinced me I needed a valve job, so OK, 270K, go ahead. He called me to come look at something. I went, he showed me the clyinders, and you could still see the original cross hatching, and no ridges! AMAZING, that 4.0! PLESE bring it back with the 4.0 and I'll buy till I die!

Favorite Features

Dependability. Handling. Classic Looks.

Bring back the Jeep Cherokee
By lheywood

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV

A great car for off road, and for me has been just fine on road. Has been pretty reliable for the first 13 years, then problems (see below).

Favorite Features

Love the boxy shape, and the short wheel base. Best cupholders ever - 2 cupholders will allow 3 different size cups - can't be bettered in any 2011 compact SUV, and I have been looking! Fantastic off road capability for the 4WD. Comfortable seats and good driving position (I have tilt steering wheel). Lots of room in the back, you can take the back seat out completely, I have slept in the back many times.

Suggested Improvements

Recurring problems with engine computer started after 13 years of ownership (I bought it brand new in 1997). Has left me stranded (2x) for weeks as part is no longer available and have to rebuild existing part in the car. Back seat is not meant for long trips. Steering is loose, but I have found that to be a problem with several Jeep Cherokees.

Wish they still made these.
By DT-Jeep

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Best vehicle I ever drove. Fun, powerful yet small. My trip computer says I've averaged 19.2 mpg including pulling a camper and daily driving.

Favorite Features

Combination of towing power/zip in a small package-167" length.

Suggested Improvements

Make them again, but more comfortable, smoother ride.

Keeping for the kids
By Dad

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this jeep for 11 years and it is the most reliable car I have ever purchased. Jeep only has 70K, but has dents and scratches from trees, rocks, bikes. Always starts, never comfortable. Goes through snow, mud, sand with no problems. Powerful engine, you can hear the frame groan whenever you hit the gas. This is the perfect car for my two teenagers. Never in the shop for any reason, other than normal maintenance. I need a more comfortable SUV but I can't afford a new one. I like the Nitro, but heard many bad things about it- maybe a used Trailblazer?

Favorite Features

The drivetrain- bullet proof

Suggested Improvements

Wish the 4 door had a manual transmission