1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
A Beast
By balexander800 on 07/28/10 08:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1998 XJ was given to me by my father. Although it is rather old it still can open up and be just as powerful as the day my family bought it. So far it has over 210,000 miles on it and still runs and looks like a champ. There hasn't been a single time I've been stuck somewhere or unable to get where I needed to go. Service on this Jeep is nearly never needed as long as the oil gets changed and the gas if full. The only issue I've had is with the gas mileage. However, you can have gas mileage or you can have power and a strong, well- built car.

It's a Jeep
By Rodney on 06/04/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

Purchased 98 Jeep in '06 with 70,000 K's in Australia. Have spent last 3 years towing a caravan on a mobile ministry and wouldn't replace it. Now has 135,000k's on the clock and apart from servicing hasn't cost anything. Looks like it will go forever, God willing.

I'll Miss Mine
By mfern23 on 04/20/10 18:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My Mom bought a 98 Cherokee Sport in October 1997 and she said this was the best car she ever owned. A little over six years later this became my car and it lasted another six years. Had some electrical issues (fuel gauge was useless) and one or two major repairs, but when it came down to it this was one reliable vehicle. Fuel economy was decent (16 city/21 hwy), ride was fairly comfortable, and the 4x4 was outstanding. Had to trade her in at 140,595 miles, loved her so much got another Jeep (06 Wrangler Sport, like this one too) but I will always miss her. Honestly, if they still made these Cherokees I would've gotten one.

BRING IT BACK PLEASE! BEST JEEP EVER!!!!
By aquaman on 02/09/10 14:59 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

I recently have bought my 4x4 Jeep Cherokee classic with 110,000 miles and it is the best thing I have ever bought in my entire life I love it! No doubt if they came out with one I would buy it in a heart beat! :) runs great have had no problems with it. Completely reliable with the inline 6 engine! I cant decide if I want to put bigger wheels on it or not because I love the body style so much as it is! Jeep needs to bring it back! Worst move ever by discontinuing it!

Bring it back!!!
By Chris on 01/31/10 06:11 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it with 55K, put a clutch in it shortly after due to previous owner. Now has over 130K. Mechanically more reliable than anything on the road, but the body is rusting pretty bad. Only weak points are the saggy rear leaf springs, all you owners know what I'm talking about! Relatively cheap aftermarket fix though :) Getting hard to get factory parts for due to Chrysler going haywire.

Won't die unless YOU kill it
By heartwine on 12/31/09 12:25 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep has an engine and transmission that just won't quit. Despite years of being driven by a mechanically-deficient person, it always seems to start and get us down the road. As far as creature comforts go, forget about it! The a/c was the first to go, followed by the control panel (speedometer, gauges etc) which often requires fiddling with the trip reset button to get the gauges to work again. Then, alas the heater has started to fade. Couldn't ask for a better SUV for living in the snowy north, but the lack of amenities in this old mule is a definite relationship-ender.

it wont Die
By vtags on 12/02/09 19:08 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

267,000 miles...more worried about the rust possibilities than anything mechanical. It is a dependable tank. Not glamorous, just reliable

My Big Little SUV
By lcd231 on 11/26/09 20:54 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my jeep with 93 thousand miles and have 113 thousand now and have had very little go wrong. its my second Cherokee. My first one was an 88 limited and i sold it with 377 thousand miles and was still running very well This thing will be buried with me!

Champ
By Aaron on 10/30/09 11:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the jeep smashed up in the front for a great price. Bought some new and used parts and painted it in my garage. Has been great ever since. Yearly maintenance is $100-$200 on average and I pile the miles on it. More reliable and durable than anything on the road. Everyone says in these reviews that they wish they still built them, the truth is that they do in China. AMC/Renault put a plant there in the 80's and they still build them today. Maybe they will offer them for sale here, I would buy one.

The BEST Vehicle I have ever bought !
By Jessica on 10/13/09 06:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV

I bought mine back in 2005 it is 2WD and it had 90,000 on it. The price was right so I couldn't pass it up. I am so glad I bought that Jeep, this May will be 5 years that I have had it, and I have only a few repairs. I replace a water pump at 145,000, and a clutch at 180,000. Other than that it has been only your basic up keep. I now have 220,000 on it! It's still going strong, this vehicle has sat put year round in the MN cold and it has always started, not once has it not. Everything still works great in it except the air did go out at 183,000. I will never get rid of my Jeep its been awesome! It is sad to know that they did stop making them after 2000.