Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

It's good for me...
By Ramblerman

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep with 117,000 miles on it. I had to rebuild the steering and put tires on it. The exhaust manifold was broken (a common problem on the 4.0L Jeep motors), but I replaced it with a lifetime guaranteed manifold from Gale Banks Engineering. It runs great and has no problem merging with traffic getting on the Interstate highways. It has the leather seats and I may install seat heaters because of that. It seems a little more cramped inside than my '86 Cherokee, but it's still not too bad to drive three hours to work.

The AM/FM/Cassette/CD player is very nice for me, but younger folks would probably upgrade. Seats are very comfortable after they get warm in the winter. Goes like a scalded cat. Does very well off road and in bad weather. Rear seat heat and cooling vents work well.

Heat/cool feature for the seats. Bigger wheels and tires. Wheels that are easier to clean. Bring back the Cherokee ... the Liberty doesn't come close.

Bulletproof 98 SE 4Dr, 4WD
By Ted

1998 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it NEW in '98, now have 136K on it. Have the 4.0 L I-6 motor & 5 speed manual tranny -- super strong. 23 mpg highway is FAB for a boxy SUV this capable. Like the look, like the color (chili pepper red), like the performance, LOVE the durability. NO major repairs. Biggest repair item has been waterpump. HUGE value for the money. We have the cheap dash w/ idiot lights, and the gas gauge has had problems for years. My wife's vehicle, and it does all our "dirty work" hauling stuff, and ALL snow duty. Interior is plain, back seat best for kids, but tolerable for 1 - 2 hour trips for adults. I see these Cherokees ROUTINELY go 250-300K. 4WD is easy to use. ALL JEEP, ALL GOOD.

4WD, gas mileage, strong in-line 6 cylinder, cargo space. Amazing torque, and DURABILITY. It has got full Jeep 'tude in a very civilized package.

Bring the darn thing back! Liberty is too small, and the spare hanging on the back of the tailgate is a pain, as well as an accident & insurance claim looking for a place to happen. 60/40 split back seat, rear cupholders, and front door pockets in base model would have been nice.

Ryan's Jeep Review
By RyanJeep

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV

Very reliable. Kept regular maintenance schedule ... minimal down-time for mechanical repairs over the life of the vehicle. In family since new.

High off-ground entry. Tight wheelbase.

Just a bit light in a strong wind.

couldn't of picked a better vehicle
By DSINKA

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle could drive through a cow pasture and come out smelling like a rose in my book. Te most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. I have over 150,000 miles on it and changed a power steering pump on it; that's all. These Cherokees were made to last. I will continue to purchase this Jeep line forever.

Easy to change the oil, and also very easy to give it a tune up with the straight six. Awesome low end power.

I think I would like the rear hatch to have a opening window like the Grand Cherokees.

What a Jeep!
By mozbeach

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Jeep, my first Cherokee, used in 2000. Traded in my '93 Wrangler for it. Thought I would hate it without the rag top, but this car is great. Carries my kids and all my toys. Runs great in all weather/conditions. I now have 170,000 miles (68,000 when bought) and am just starting to replace original equipment. Only negatives are the gas mileage and my instrument gauges periodically fail. No mechanic has been able to find the cause. Despite that I will never buy another SUV other than a Jeep.

Off road and bad weather handling. Tons of space for my gear.

Gauge issue seems to be a common thing with '98's and '99's. Bring it back! The Liberty is nice, but lacks the cargo room of the Cherokee.