1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
I Love My Girl
By jdcman on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This is easily the best vehicle I've ever owned. Not only can it fit all my stuff and my friends, I can take them over the mountains of New Hampshire in a snowstorm. I spend most of my time in the city, and it is by far the easiest vehicle to parallel park (I used to drive a Neon and an Altima). The ride is solid, the pick up is there when you need it, and it sure does look great all cleaned up.

Good Little Jeep
By boggse on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I have to say that my Cherokee has got to be the best vehicle I have ever owned. Not the most reliable or fun to drive, but simply thie best overall package. While it seems outdated compared to all of the newer small SUVs out there (including the Liberty), it has a charm that is timeless. The biggest problem I've had has been the power window regulators. Highway fuel economy is great for a 30 year old I6 engine design, I get about 17/24 mpg.

Buy a Jeep!!!
By mcm on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

Love this SUV! The 4x4 is fun, has plenty of power and looks great after a wash/wax. The gas mileage isn't so great but is a minor detail compared to the fun of driving this car. If you're looking for the original SUV (i.e. stiff suspension, rugged, reliable) then this one is for you!

Love the Jeep
By orange_to_the_t on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I only have 39K miles on my Jeep but so far I have not had any problems. The 4.0 in line 6 is very powerful and with the 5 speed stick it is quite good on gas, 18/22MPG.

Great price on OK vehicle
By justinkl on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Im an 18 year old high school student and have had this car almost a year. Bought it to replace my 94 accord. Paid $10,000 for it with ~42,000 miles! Has every option except leather. Gas milage sucks at 13mpg in the city, but then again, I am a lead footed teen. The car seems to like to break on me. Replaced transfer case 3 times, drive shaft twice and rear differential twice, all on Keffers tab! Only other money spent out of pocket has been a set of tires and rear brakes (oil changes and gas dont count!)

jeep cherokee sport
By Jamison on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

i put my jeep through hell, and it still come through for me time after time. i will drive jeeps for the rest of my life.

98 Cherokee
By DTF on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought one used because I needed a bigger car..my credit sucked so I got robbed on financing but the car has proven to be extremely reliable except for completely new sets of brakes ..twice...As an on call EMT/FF I do a lot of emergency driving so that might explain the brakes..rattling noise on acceleration..researched and talked to mechanic no loss of power has to do with lifters..dealer was fair but only if you came prepared and knew your prices and ranges...Would NOT buy vehicle from this dealer again

I love my Cherokee!
By nickii on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had this Jeep for about 9 months and LOVE it! I had no problems with it yet. The ride is a bit bumpier than normal vehicles when you hit some railroad tracks or a pothole, but its otherwise ok. The gas milage isn't great, but it could be worse :) The cargo space irks me just a little, just a few more inches and a few snowboards or mountain bikes would fit perfectly without having to jam them in. Overall, i think the Cherokee is a great vehicle in style and performance, and i would recommend it to anyone.

a jeep thing
By chris2234 on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Excellent inxepensive suv with good re- sale value. The only problem is gas mileage. My 1990 crown victoria with 175,000 miles got better gas mileage.THis vehicle will no leave you stranded and is the best 4wd i have ever driven. THe only downside to a reliable engine is the gas mileage. ALos cheeply built with too much plastic inside. Rattles like a 10 yr old car. No complaints other than gas mileage, par for any suv, but rediculously low for this vehicle.

sportin
By bdwheels on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD