Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

True Sport Utility
By Scooter

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This is one rugged SUV. Utility is the key word here. I take this thing off road, on 3000 mile road trips, to the grocery store, lumber yard, skiing, hunting, fishing, tailgating. It has 120,000 miles and starts instantly. Goes off road like a warrior and has a classic look. I took two 6 footers, all our hunting gear for a week, with a roof and tongue rack. I tow the snowmobiles with this. All that and it parks easy, is good around town. I needed a reliable rugged vehicle. The rear defroster is out, the fog lights are short circuited, but she starts, clips in 4x4, and everything else works. If WWIII breaks out, this is the vehicle you want.

Favorite Features

Starts like a top, heats well, and cush driver and passenger side seats. Rear seat folds. I also like the size of the vehicle, easy to park, and low.This is a rugged SUV. If you want pampering, drive something else. If you need something to go through everything, then this is your beast.

Suggested Improvements

I'd love to see a revision of the Cherokee. BMW runs the I6 and gets excellent power, reliability. With better suspension, 60/40 folding seats. More storage. This is a Swiss army knife, simple, capable, reliable. No frills. I

Boy do I love my Jeep Cherokee!
By leigh

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Best used car I ever owned after 25 years of driving. Zero maintenance vehicle, fun to drive steady, easy to handle, stable on all kinds of roads.

Favorite Features

Reliability, CD stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Could use better gas mileage.

Just What I Need
By Bradley Mullins

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

This is my first vehicle, and a great one at that. I drive a lot, and I usually get about 22 MPG with it. I can use it for hauling my friends or my "stuff" around. It was built tough; I rolled it last July, but had it repaired and it looks and drives like new again. A couple of things have been replaced, such as the tires, spark plugs, clock spring, and brakes. I bought it at 83,000 miles, and at 142,000 it's still going strong. Great vehicle!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, cruise control, lighted vanity mirrors, power side mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Easier to open air filter compartment, better gauge reliability, power seat availability.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Tom Jones

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Absolutely the best car I've ever owned. I-6 engine is bulletproof. Only thing it's ever needed is oil change every 3K. Just ticked over 153K and still runs like it did the day I bought it. Replaced clutch throwout bearing at 130K. Replaced brake rotors at same time. Otherwise it's needed nothing but oil, tires, plugs, and brake pads. Back seat is small for adults due to wheel wells. Off-road performance is absolutely great. Turn radius is very tight, making it easy to drive in town and park. Easy to work on, although it's never needed it other than the clutch. My only regret is that Jeep doesn't make them anymore.

Favorite Features

Shift-on-fly 4WD, off-road performance, reliability, ease of driving in town.

Suggested Improvements

None - this is the way a car should be built.

Jeep Cherokee
By Waysco

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has been everything we could have imagined and more, and she still has a lot to offer. One of the best 4x4's we have ever owned. It would go through snow and ice like it was dry roadway. The Best.

Favorite Features

The ease of the 4wd usage.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little bigger interior, of course I am a very big man...