1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
Old look, new feel
By cheeser on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my Jeep for over 4 years now, and still love to drive it. I usually tire of products quickly, but not this Jeep. It's sleek enough to pick up clients in, durable enough to handle road trips, rugged enough to go off- road.

Loud and bumpy ride
By ksboehm on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, it's a fun SUV to drive, but the quality of the ride leaves a lot to be desired. Interior is very basic- no perks. There is a lot of wind noise once you exceed about 40-50 mph and engine is also loud. Overall, I found it to be uncomfortable to drive for more than just short trips around town. The ride is very bumpy, so if you're looking for a somewhat smooth ride, this is definitely not the vehicle for you.

Jeep
By MrFiero on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Multiple quality issues, bad paint, many odd things breaking, like pulleys and misc electrical components.

The perfect Jeep
By deadeye on 09/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used from a lease reseller. I previously owned a Commanche truck, and loved the truck. I am very, very happy with the Cherokee. I get 20 mpg on the daily commute to work and on the highway. Not much stop and go driving though. Recently I stopped at a business and next to me was a woman with a Cherokee same year and style as mine. She asked if I liked mine, and said she loved hers "I can do anything I want with it!" That is the JEEP thing.

Jeep Cherokee Sport
By Dan Jeep on 08/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

All around this a more SUV for your buck. I have had zero problems with my Cherokee and plan to keep it for years to come. The inline 6 is going to run forever and is strong enough to pull my 5,000 pound camper.

JP 98 Jeep
By JP34 on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my 1998 Cherokee Sport for just over a year, and really like it. With the baby and dog, we still have adequate room for my wife and I. I am 6'3" 240 lbs and have always been comfortable. Just took an 1800 mile trip and had no problems and good mileage for a 4 wheel drive.

Two Monthly Payments (Car and Gas)
By Shep89 on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This '98 Cherokee with 56K miles on it, can still lay scratch off the line and has a ton of power, but I pay for it by spending at least $125 a month in gas (14 mpg). The storage holder broke and the glove box has very little room. People who ride in the backseat complain "how an SUV could have so little leg room". My O2 sensor and power window had to be replaced at 55K. I also had a '93 Wrangler and that 4.0 went forever. The Moss Green color always looks dirty, but has great eye appeal for that short time after it's washed, waxed, and dried. I added Jeep Gambler 5-hole alloy wheels (15X8) and bigger tires and it looks great.

Gotta love this truck!
By HunterR on 07/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I just got my third Jeep Cherokee! So far I have had nothing but luck! The first Cherokee I got is a 1987 Cherokee, manual trans., 4wd which now has over 230,000 miles on it and still runs fine! My second Jeep is a 1998 Red Cherokee, manual trans. with over 100,000 miles on it and it also runs like new! My newest Cherokee is also a 1998, auto trans, 4wd with 43,000 which also runs like new! I still have all three of them and probably will never sell any of them. The only problem with Jeep that I can think of is that they stopped production of the Cherokee. Personally I think Jeep made a huge mistake when they did it.

You really pay for the 4.0 in-line V-6
By DWS on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this car, but I'm going broke filling it up all the time. I'm only getting 265 miles out of a 19.6 gallon tank of gas. It has a ton of power and I can lay some scratch off the line. It came with the pathetic and ugly steel wheels, but I upgraded to the "Gambler" 5-hole style alloy wheels that you see on the upgraded wranglers sometimes. It gives it a whole new look. I also recommend adding side-step bars and a bug shield.

After 20 yrs you'd think it'd be perfect
By fishooked on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

but it certainly is not. Right now I have about 68K on my 1998. One of my biggest complaints is the tiny glove box, and poor layout for storage of other items such as maps, change, whatever. I can barely fit anything in my glove box except for my owners manual. There should be side pockets in the doors for loose stuff. The center console layout stinks. It makes a lot of rattling noises, and it has also leaked water in it as well. I've had problems with my rotors getting warped and having to be replaced twice already. Not great gas mileage; over 120.00 a month easy for gas.