Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

A little beast
By Mario

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the Jeep with 87,000 miles on it two years ago, now it has 97,000. All I have done on it is replace the AC unit that comes inside of the dashboard (which was broken when I bought it). That was $600. I keep it completely standard and I just love it! it has the tough SUV looks from the outside but once you get in, you have the leather, heated and powered seats, powered windows and locks, the wood trim dashboard and so on. The 4.0L six cylinder in line engine is awesome; sometimes, when standing on a red light if a little so called "fast car" pulls next to me, they don't expect the quick response of the Jeep and I leave them thinking I got "something extra" in it.

Haven't been able to get it stuck yet, the strong engine mixed with good tires will pull him out every time.

Chrysler tried to replace it with the Liberty, which I have tried also but it is missing that OFF ROAD style. I guess that eventually, Jeep will come up with something else either improving the Liberty or with a whole different vehicle, but until then, I'll stick with the Cherokee.

True Sport Utility
By Scooter

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This is one rugged SUV. Utility is the key word here. I take this thing off road, on 3000 mile road trips, to the grocery store, lumber yard, skiing, hunting, fishing, tailgating. It has 120,000 miles and starts instantly. Goes off road like a warrior and has a classic look. I took two 6 footers, all our hunting gear for a week, with a roof and tongue rack. I tow the snowmobiles with this. All that and it parks easy, is good around town. I needed a reliable rugged vehicle. The rear defroster is out, the fog lights are short circuited, but she starts, clips in 4x4, and everything else works. If WWIII breaks out, this is the vehicle you want.

Starts like a top, heats well, and cush driver and passenger side seats. Rear seat folds. I also like the size of the vehicle, easy to park, and low.This is a rugged SUV. If you want pampering, drive something else. If you need something to go through everything, then this is your beast.

I'd love to see a revision of the Cherokee. BMW runs the I6 and gets excellent power, reliability. With better suspension, 60/40 folding seats. More storage. This is a Swiss army knife, simple, capable, reliable. No frills. I

Boy do I love my Jeep Cherokee!
By leigh

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Best used car I ever owned after 25 years of driving. Zero maintenance vehicle, fun to drive steady, easy to handle, stable on all kinds of roads.

Reliability, CD stereo system.

Could use better gas mileage.

Just What I Need
By Bradley Mullins

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

This is my first vehicle, and a great one at that. I drive a lot, and I usually get about 22 MPG with it. I can use it for hauling my friends or my "stuff" around. It was built tough; I rolled it last July, but had it repaired and it looks and drives like new again. A couple of things have been replaced, such as the tires, spark plugs, clock spring, and brakes. I bought it at 83,000 miles, and at 142,000 it's still going strong. Great vehicle!

Exterior styling, cruise control, lighted vanity mirrors, power side mirrors.

Easier to open air filter compartment, better gauge reliability, power seat availability.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Tom Jones

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Absolutely the best car I've ever owned. I-6 engine is bulletproof. Only thing it's ever needed is oil change every 3K. Just ticked over 153K and still runs like it did the day I bought it. Replaced clutch throwout bearing at 130K. Replaced brake rotors at same time. Otherwise it's needed nothing but oil, tires, plugs, and brake pads. Back seat is small for adults due to wheel wells. Off-road performance is absolutely great. Turn radius is very tight, making it easy to drive in town and park. Easy to work on, although it's never needed it other than the clutch. My only regret is that Jeep doesn't make them anymore.

Shift-on-fly 4WD, off-road performance, reliability, ease of driving in town.

None - this is the way a car should be built.

• SUV