Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Bring back the Jeep Cherokee
By lheywood

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV

A great car for off road, and for me has been just fine on road.
Has been pretty reliable for the first 13 years, then problems (see below).

Love the boxy shape, and the short wheel base. Best cupholders ever - 2 cupholders will allow 3 different size cups - can't be bettered in any 2011 compact SUV, and I have been looking! Fantastic off road capability for the 4WD. Comfortable seats and good driving position (I have tilt steering wheel). Lots of room in the back, you can take the back seat out completely, I have slept in the back many times.

Recurring problems with engine computer started after 13 years of ownership (I bought it brand new in 1997). Has left me stranded (2x) for weeks as part is no longer available and have to rebuild existing part in the car. Back seat is not meant for long trips. Steering is loose, but I have found that to be a problem with several Jeep Cherokees.

2 door bigwheel pimp!
By dj

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I got my Jeep in October of 2007 and I love it! I received it with 93,000 miles on it and it has bout 120,000 miles now. Just recently I had to replace the crank shaft censor and the radiator fan assembly, but overall it's a great build and like a rock. Mine is 2 door and White with tent and I have big bowlegged tires on it and I just changed the grill to chrome to match my rims. I am officially obsessed with my Jeep and its brand.

the size and pick up power

better interior and bigger backseat

Ryan's Jeep Review
By RyanJeep

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV

Very reliable. Kept regular maintenance schedule ... minimal down-time for mechanical repairs over the life of the vehicle. In family since new.

High off-ground entry. Tight wheelbase.

Just a bit light in a strong wind.