Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

i will always own a cherokee
By builtnotbought

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned a cherokee for 5 years. i paid $2k for it and have invested in a 3in rough country suspension lift and 30in yokohama geolander AT tires. not a hill in arizona i need to go up and havent been able too. ive never had to turn around on a trail. keep in mind jeeps are built not bought. i hear stories of peoples jeep bugging out on them early ill tell you first hand its because the owner did something wrong. 4.0 straight 6 are bullet proof. economic and powerful. from the trail to the road. there will always be a cherokee in my garage even if its not a primary. not enough room to say all the things i want about it. jeep cherokee's refuse to die. remember theyre built not bought.

Favorite Features

fuel economy... for a 4x4 vehicle 20 mpg on highway with a 3 inch lift and 30 in AT tires. commute 32 miles round trip to work daily, durability, life of vehicle, TURN RADIUS! TURN RADIUS! TURN RADIUS! Can take a beating a keeps on chugging. takes on any trail or any distance of travel. Cross states or cross country it will take it on.No such thing as "cant do it" with a properly built jeep. Essentially a tank! i love working on a vehicle. and a jeep give me somethhing to do without breaking my bank or taking up alot of time.

Suggested Improvements

1 con. Cup holders suck or dont exist. Not a performance issue though. I made my own cup holders #homebrew :)

absolutely indestructible
By samnkiki

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

Father drove it home brand new off the lot in 1998 from lou's jeep eagle in Geneva illinois. It's in my garage as I write this next to the wife's Acura mdx. I can't put into words how amazing this vehicle is. I refuse to buy another car until she dies on me. 311,346 thousand miles and aside from tires batteries belts lights. .ya know wear items. ..she's been solid as titanium! Years ago when roads were impassable I was passing hummers and other "4wd" vehicles.

Favorite Features

4.0 monster engine Cup holders Real 4wd Cargo capacity Death and taxes reliability

Suggested Improvements

Absolutely none. I'm saddened these types are forever gone.

Expected more...
By rlb4227

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV

Was reliable until about 100K. Was constantly in the shop. At about 118K was in the shop monthly. Finally overheated on the side of the interstate and was pronounced dead. I was expecting much more from a Jeep. Previously owned a 93 Cherokee and made it just past 200K before it died.

RIP
By fek2

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I loved it. It was my first car and only had it for about one year but was amazing. I was driving on the highway when something hit the transmission case and cracked it. my insurance deemed it as total loss and towed it away. I will miss my jeep soo much. RIP baby. Unfortunately i will most likely not get a jeep as my second vehicle due to bad gas mileage

Love my Jeep
By detdre

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Fantastic vehicle. Reliable, comfortable, small but big. The best I've worked on, the best I've driven.

Favorite Features

With mid-grade gas, I can get 22 mpg city, 25 hwy. Never gotten it stuck, and I off road with it all year long in Michigan. 203k miles and still runs like brand new.

Suggested Improvements

Exhaust holds tend to rust in a hurry. Had to weld the assembly back onto frame, but that's what I get for living in Michigan.