Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Mange another Half million miles?
By SPC

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

Unreal. Simply unreal. Owned since June 1998 and with nearly half million trouble free miles of hard Chicago winners and hot summers it's hard to stomach buying anything else because nothing will top this reliability or prowess in harsh winter weather. I can't even stomach looking at whatever these new "jeeps" are....maybe I'll just grab another straight six Cherokee!

Just kept going and going
By MtnRoad

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

I owned the 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L engine, 2WD, auto trans, base model no electric power options. It served it's purpose well. I could load a lot of stuff into this vehicle as the backseat would flip forward and down and made a lot of room in the back. The full size spare tire was side mounted inside the rear cargo area and it really didn't take much room so it was okay. The Jeep had nice acceleration with the 4.0L engine, and fuel economy was pretty good too. I drive mine with respect for my vehicle and the Jeep rarely gave me trouble. I put some moderate all terrain tires on it and the Cherokee performed great in winter while I spent time in Northern New York dealing with the lake effect snow that was pretty bad. Now the bad......The damn check engine light would come on intermittently. This caused somewhat of a problem during my yearly smog test I had to have done in California. I got lucky a few times and it went off so I immediately would drive into the nearest place doing smog tests and would knock out my annual test. Soon thereafter it would come back on. When this first happened the dealer in Huntington Beach, CA told me it was a sensor in the transmission they had seen it many times and nothing was wrong with the transmission just the stupid sensor, and to just try and deal with it. They said the transmission on these Jeeps were the best they ever saw, but the sensor in my model was a stupid tiny little part that did nothing. Otherwise a repair was going to cost a lot to drop the tranny and replace the sensor. So I just dealt with it. Another thing that happened, probably associated with that sensor was the electronic gauges would just fail. All the warning lights on the gauge cluster would light up, then go off, and the odometer would stop clocking miles. I have to admit the non functioning odometer was awesome because the Jeep remained a low mileage vehicle for almost the entirety of my ownership. Sometimes it would work, and most times it did not. I attached an old school GPS with velcro to my steering column to see how fast I was going. I parked the jeep for many years while I was overseas and upon returning the tires had flat spots that sort of worked themselves out, the ac failed, the power steering failed, all the attachments ti the engine failed and would throw a belt if I drive too much. I felt guilty about trying to sell it to a private party but instead went into a Chrysler dealership one day after the check engine light went off and looked at a used vehicle (not a Chrysler product but a low mileage Japanese model) on their lot. They kept trying to bring my Jeep into the deal and wasted my time all damn day with nonsense offers for warranties, upgrades, etc and I held firm and got a great deal on the used truck they were selling. They kept asking over and over if I wanted to trade in my Jeep but I kept telling them no it was the best car I ever owned and wanted to keep it forever which was total bull but they bought it and made a great offer for a trade in on it and reduce the selling price on the other truck I was looking at. They never even once went out to look at my Cherokee or asked to drive it. Just gave me way more than it was worth. LOL they deserve what they got for not ever fixing that sensor that caused so many other owners problems. I hope the check engine light came on after I drove off the lot.

Expected more...
By rlb4227

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

Was reliable until about 100K.
Was constantly in the shop.
At about 118K was in the shop monthly.
Finally overheated on the side of the interstate and was pronounced dead.
I was expecting much more from a Jeep.
Previously owned a 93 Cherokee and made it just past 200K before it died.

98 jeep xj
By desprado227

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

228500 mi and still as strong as the day it was born JEEPS RULE THE EARTH all others try to follow

everything

rock gard on the bottems and on the sides

Best auto I have ever owned!
By old_marine

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

We leased this car in 1997, drove it till the lease was up then purchased it in 2001.

Without a doubt the most reliable car I ever owned.

It now has 387,000 miles and running strong.
The only things I have had to do to it was the AC compressor which died around 360K, and the muffler/plumbing.

Crankcase sensor, had to replace it 3 times, but not for 3 years now.

An idiot (last cc sensor failure) convinced me I needed a valve job, so OK, 270K, go ahead.
He called me to come look at something.
I went, he showed me the clyinders, and you could still see the original cross hatching, and no ridges!

AMAZING, that 4.0!
PLESE bring it back with the 4.0 and I'll buy till I die!

Dependability. Handling. Classic Looks.