Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Are you a man or not?
By Jake

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

After getting in a head on collision with a suburban, where all air bags for both cars deployed. The jeeps frame may have been slightly damaged, but I was perfect without a scratch. Only going 30mph the jeep actually pushed the front end of the suburban, aiming it into the other side of the road where it should have been in the first place. Insurance gave me $500 more than my original jeep was worth, which had 130,000 miles on it. I did not hesitate and found another cherokee with a 4.0L inline 6 engine, 4 doors, and 4 wheel drive. When you step on the gas peddle you feel the power, it's nothing like the V-6 engines out today. It may only get about 13 miles per gallon, but it's well worth it.

Mainly, if you're a car guy or someday want to be, this is the car for you. Knowing simply how to use tools, I've fixed most issues myself, learning a lot about how cars work in the process. The overall build of the jeep is very simple; with any issue it simply takes a youtube search and a replacement part.

Just kept going and going
By MtnRoad

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

I owned the 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L engine, 2WD, auto trans, base model no electric power options. It served it's purpose well. I could load a lot of stuff into this vehicle as the backseat would flip forward and down and made a lot of room in the back. The full size spare tire was side mounted inside the rear cargo area and it really didn't take much room so it was okay. The Jeep had nice acceleration with the 4.0L engine, and fuel economy was pretty good too. I drive mine with respect for my vehicle and the Jeep rarely gave me trouble. I put some moderate all terrain tires on it and the Cherokee performed great in winter while I spent time in Northern New York dealing with the lake effect snow that was pretty bad. Now the bad......The damn check engine light would come on intermittently. This caused somewhat of a problem during my yearly smog test I had to have done in California. I got lucky a few times and it went off so I immediately would drive into the nearest place doing smog tests and would knock out my annual test. Soon thereafter it would come back on. When this first happened the dealer in Huntington Beach, CA told me it was a sensor in the transmission they had seen it many times and nothing was wrong with the transmission just the stupid sensor, and to just try and deal with it. They said the transmission on these Jeeps were the best they ever saw, but the sensor in my model was a stupid tiny little part that did nothing. Otherwise a repair was going to cost a lot to drop the tranny and replace the sensor. So I just dealt with it. Another thing that happened, probably associated with that sensor was the electronic gauges would just fail. All the warning lights on the gauge cluster would light up, then go off, and the odometer would stop clocking miles. I have to admit the non functioning odometer was awesome because the Jeep remained a low mileage vehicle for almost the entirety of my ownership. Sometimes it would work, and most times it did not. I attached an old school GPS with velcro to my steering column to see how fast I was going. I parked the jeep for many years while I was overseas and upon returning the tires had flat spots that sort of worked themselves out, the ac failed, the power steering failed, all the attachments ti the engine failed and would throw a belt if I drive too much. I felt guilty about trying to sell it to a private party but instead went into a Chrysler dealership one day after the check engine light went off and looked at a used vehicle (not a Chrysler product but a low mileage Japanese model) on their lot. They kept trying to bring my Jeep into the deal and wasted my time all damn day with nonsense offers for warranties, upgrades, etc and I held firm and got a great deal on the used truck they were selling. They kept asking over and over if I wanted to trade in my Jeep but I kept telling them no it was the best car I ever owned and wanted to keep it forever which was total bull but they bought it and made a great offer for a trade in on it and reduce the selling price on the other truck I was looking at. They never even once went out to look at my Cherokee or asked to drive it. Just gave me way more than it was worth. LOL they deserve what they got for not ever fixing that sensor that caused so many other owners problems. I hope the check engine light came on after I drove off the lot.

WILL...NOT...DIE!
By reinerlawfirm@att.net

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

This is February, 2016. The car is a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic with 84K miles. REALLY. 84K. It's my 3d Cherokee. Prior a 2000 and a 2001 Cherokee Limited. I sold the 2000 to a friend when it had 160K. He reports just this week that he's at 245K and still going! The 2001 was much the same. These cars are, by my way of thinking, absolutely bulletproof.

Now. 1998 Cherokee Classic. The only addition to the car is a set of 2000 Limited alloy 16" wheels. Other than that, just as it came from the factory.

Within a week of this last purchase, the turn signals just stopped. I bought a $15.00 flasher relay, and back to the road! Of the three I have owned, this was the first electrical problem I have encountered.

It handles like a Jeep. Not the best, but predictable as the sunrise. Never let me down. Goes where it's pointed. Never stuck, and NEVER left on the side of the road waiting for a tow. When the A/C is charged, you can almost hang meat in the front seats! The heater is capable of burning your feet. The radio is really not bad (the 2000 had the good stereo with door mounted tweeters and and amp under the back seat...that was REALLY great). I wish it had a CD, but I wish I were taller...neither of those things are going to happen, so the radio is fine.

This is a SIMPLE car. Point/coil ignition. Climate control with cables. They're adjustable. Not like the vacuum operated controls. Manual 4WD engagement. Everything in the cabin is push-pull-click. No push-pull-click? Replace switch. Repeat. Read the gauges.

DO REGULAR MAINTENANCE! Change the oil (You don't need a lift, or a jack). Don't forget the auto trans, transfer case and the two differentials (I do them every 50,000 miles, but I'm obsessive). Lube the suspension zirks. How hard is THIS?

I guess I rant. But as long as I can get these, I'll keep buying them. They're getting rare, but they're findable (I made that word up) with a little searching.

The car looks good. Anywhere. Party in the high end part of town? Fine. Running down a dirt road producing billowing clouds of dirt? Fine. Axle-deep snow? Smile. You look good and you ain't stuck! By the way, this is essentially a new car!

The long and short of it is, this car is a throwback to a simpler time when things broke but could be fixed with a pretty sparse toolbox. My dad the engineer said these cars operated with "tractor technology".

Under the hood it's all simple.

One of the best Jeep ever
By Michael Tyson

1998 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV

Very simple to drive and maintaining
solid construction and great offroad ability in this class
i wish jeep would make that jeep again

i will always own a cherokee
By builtnotbought

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned a cherokee for 5 years. i paid $2k for it and have invested in a 3in rough country suspension lift and 30in yokohama geolander AT tires. not a hill in arizona i need to go up and havent been able too. ive never had to turn around on a trail. keep in mind jeeps are built not bought. i hear stories of peoples jeep bugging out on them early ill tell you first hand its because the owner did something wrong. 4.0 straight 6 are bullet proof. economic and powerful. from the trail
to the road. there will always be a cherokee in my garage even if its not a primary. not enough room to say all the things i want about it. jeep cherokee's refuse to die. remember theyre built not bought.

fuel economy... for a 4x4 vehicle 20 mpg on highway with a 3 inch lift and 30 in AT tires. commute 32 miles round trip to work daily, durability, life of vehicle, TURN RADIUS! TURN RADIUS! TURN RADIUS! Can take a beating a keeps on chugging. takes on any trail or any distance of travel. Cross states or cross country it will take it on.No such thing as "cant do it" with a properly built jeep. Essentially a tank! i love working on a vehicle. and a jeep give me somethhing to do without breaking my bank or taking up alot of time.

1 con. Cup holders suck or dont exist. Not a performance issue though. I made my own cup holders #homebrew :)