1998 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
i will always own a cherokee
By builtnotbought on 02/09/14 00:47 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned a cherokee for 5 years. i paid $2k for it and have invested in a 3in rough country suspension lift and 30in yokohama geolander AT tires. not a hill in arizona i need to go up and havent been able too. ive never had to turn around on a trail. keep in mind jeeps are built not bought. i hear stories of peoples jeep bugging out on them early ill tell you first hand its because the owner did something wrong. 4.0 straight 6 are bullet proof. economic and powerful. from the trail to the road. there will always be a cherokee in my garage even if its not a primary. not enough room to say all the things i want about it. jeep cherokee's refuse to die. remember theyre built not bought.

absolutely indestructible
By samnkiki on 10/21/13 13:41 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

Father drove it home brand new off the lot in 1998 from lou's jeep eagle in Geneva illinois. It's in my garage as I write this next to the wife's Acura mdx. I can't put into words how amazing this vehicle is. I refuse to buy another car until she dies on me. 311,346 thousand miles and aside from tires batteries belts lights. .ya know wear items. ..she's been solid as titanium! Years ago when roads were impassable I was passing hummers and other "4wd" vehicles.

Expected more...
By rlb4227 on 09/15/13 17:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

Was reliable until about 100K. Was constantly in the shop. At about 118K was in the shop monthly. Finally overheated on the side of the interstate and was pronounced dead. I was expecting much more from a Jeep. Previously owned a 93 Cherokee and made it just past 200K before it died.

RIP
By fek2 on 08/15/12 10:55 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I loved it. It was my first car and only had it for about one year but was amazing. I was driving on the highway when something hit the transmission case and cracked it. my insurance deemed it as total loss and towed it away. I will miss my jeep soo much. RIP baby. Unfortunately i will most likely not get a jeep as my second vehicle due to bad gas mileage

Love my Jeep
By detdre on 07/23/12 16:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Fantastic vehicle. Reliable, comfortable, small but big. The best I've worked on, the best I've driven.

98 jeep xj
By desprado227 on 02/23/12 14:00 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

228500 mi and still as strong as the day it was born JEEPS RULE THE EARTH all others try to follow

Best auto I have ever owned!
By old_marine on 10/10/11 09:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

We leased this car in 1997, drove it till the lease was up then purchased it in 2001. Without a doubt the most reliable car I ever owned. It now has 387,000 miles and running strong. The only things I have had to do to it was the AC compressor which died around 360K, and the muffler/plumbing. Crankcase sensor, had to replace it 3 times, but not for 3 years now. An idiot (last cc sensor failure) convinced me I needed a valve job, so OK, 270K, go ahead. He called me to come look at something. I went, he showed me the clyinders, and you could still see the original cross hatching, and no ridges! AMAZING, that 4.0! PLESE bring it back with the 4.0 and I'll buy till I die!

Bring back the Jeep Cherokee
By lheywood on 08/05/11 17:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV

A great car for off road, and for me has been just fine on road. Has been pretty reliable for the first 13 years, then problems (see below).

Wish they still made these.
By DT-Jeep on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV

Best vehicle I ever drove. Fun, powerful yet small. My trip computer says I've averaged 19.2 mpg including pulling a camper and daily driving.

Keeping for the kids
By Dad on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this jeep for 11 years and it is the most reliable car I have ever purchased. Jeep only has 70K, but has dents and scratches from trees, rocks, bikes. Always starts, never comfortable. Goes through snow, mud, sand with no problems. Powerful engine, you can hear the frame groan whenever you hit the gas. This is the perfect car for my two teenagers. Never in the shop for any reason, other than normal maintenance. I need a more comfortable SUV but I can't afford a new one. I like the Nitro, but heard many bad things about it- maybe a used Trailblazer?