1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
Beware
By Whitney on 05/25/06 14:35 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 2dr SUV

My Jeep has had nothing but problems. Radiator cracked, windows leak, doesn't start most of the time. I have replaced many sensors, hoses, and more. Has had about $4,000 put into it and still doesn't run well. Hasn't held up like I expected. Has a little over 100,000 miles.

Voted 4x4 of the year for a reason
By Chris on 05/01/06 19:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1997 Cherokee has been the most fun to drive vehicle I have owned, it has 160,000 miles, runs perfectly and gets 20 MPG. I would recommend to anyone who isn't scared of a solid axle ride, and someone who doesn't care about useless interior gadgets to get a Cherokee, you won't be disappointed if you take care of it.

A true SUV
By Lara on 07/23/05 00:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Jeep Cherokee sport a year ago and I love it. Despite getting bad gas mileage (16 mpg city), I realize that this is an SUV, so it's understandable. The only complaint I have is that the engine is extremely loud and roaring. Otherwise, it's a very sturdy car. It accelerates well, has great steering, has comfortable front seats, and pretty good road traction. The real fun begins when you go off road, though. This is not an SUV for someone who really needs a station wagon (aka Ford Explorers, Expeditions). The ride on rocky ground with bumps is surprisingly smooth. This is a classic, REAL SUV that will remain a favorite of mine. And, what's cooler than having a JEEP?

best bet in class
By Brian on 05/31/05 19:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV 4WD

I drive my 97 Cherokee Country pretty hard. Never had any issues; gas mileage isn't great but I knew that when I decided to get an SUV. This thing accelerates great out of the gate, is comfortable on the highway and is unstoppable off-road. I challenge anyone to get this thing stuck.

Don't buy this thing
By nts550 on 11/10/04 14:16 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV 4WD

I drove this car/truck twice a week. I had only 62k on it and here's what went wrong: water pump, fuel pump (3 times), belt, alternator, radiator, oh and the engine (head gasket and bearings). Each of these problems happened with about a month of each other. Cons: When it didn't break down it rode very rough, like a truck. It was noisy and the gas mileage could be 20 mpg if you were going 55 and had no wind. If you drive normally (70mph), then gas mileage dips down to about 15mpg. Doesn't have a split rear seat. The engineering is horrible. Pros: Climbs hills pretty good. Is good in the snow, if you have good tires I hated this POS, you will too.

There is nothing like a Jeep
By mtbiker82 on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

First, I am seeing a lot of reviews that are using gas mileage as a negative. I get 17mpg in the city and 21+ on the highway and thats with the 4.0L straight 6. It's a SUV...thats great!! Unstoppable off-road. Backseat slightly uncomfortable, but just fine for short trips. If want to drive a legend...get a Jeep.

Still good for the money
By ksherinian on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

The negatives first: - noisy - poor ride - horrible gas quality Positives: - excellent, bare bones, interior design - superb off-road performance - superb winter (snow & ice) performance - 112,500 miles and still no major repairs

I love my Jeep
By Chris Jeep on 12/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV

The Jeep has been dependable, reliable and a great fun to drive. I have enjoyed my Jeep and very sad to let it go. I wish these vehicles were still in production. If so, I would have bought another just like it. The engine light came off and on, but you learn this was just a malfuction and nothing mechanically wrong. My wife never like the ride, but she just could not appreciate it.

97 Cherokee
By Rich Jones on 10/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I took care of it and it's been great.

"Jack-of-all-trades" yet master of many
By Mr. Sam on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my Cherokee for almost two years now and I still love it. Only problems I've had have been the O2 senser and a R134a leak (which is still not solved). No major problems (knock on wood). Bullet proof off-road capiblity. One of the fastest SUVs out there. Buy one and join the family!