1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
Endless reliability internally, falling apart externally
By Jack Nelson on 02/26/15 09:48 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV

I've had my cherokee for roughly 4 years now, bought it used at 120,000 miles, and I have yet to even touch the motor in terms of repairs. It is a modern day sherman tank mechanically. I've obviously had to replace my share of wear and tear parts such as the alternator, tie rods, brakes, etc. But never anything on the motor, or even the transmission for that matter. Unfortunately, as with all cars, it is falling apart at the seams in terms of appearance. The bumper fell off the other day for no reason, and it has a crackle when idling (most likely the catalytic converter). Its a pretty big gas guzzler as well. All around I'd say it is the perfect "point A to point B" vehicle.

I LOVE THIS THING!
By bradthecarman on 02/23/12 12:34 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm completely in love with my cherokee. I have over 260k miles on it, all ive really had to do is preventative care and regular maintance. Its one of the best values I've ever seen. I wish I would of bought two. It is without a doubt one of the best daily drivers out there.

OIIIIO thrills
By OIIIIO driver on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV

I have a 93 indestructible Cherokee. I just bought this 97 Cherokee, with 245K miles on it. Paid $1500 for him. My 93 is a standard this 97 is an automatic. IF you can find one get one. I easily expect to get 300 K out of this Jeep. I have 2 new cars a 4runner and a Pontiac, but would rather drive my 97 Jeep any day than these due to the fact "he" is solid as a rock. If the powers that be ever read these blogs , they would re invent these Jeeps, and would have a new following, I love mine and dread the day (if ever) I get rid of it.

Love it, can't find anything better
By CCoccia on 08/15/10 19:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this Jeep for 11 yrs. No other vehicle I have had will cruise at 80 on the interstate, then take the extreme trails in the OHV park like they were nothing. I bought a Mini Cooper and it's a good thing I kept the Jeep-way more dependable and a lot cheaper to fix than the Mini. I've hauled building materials, pulled out chain-link fencing and stumps, still on the original clutch at 126,000 miles. It has never left me on the side of the road or refused to start. All I have had to do is routine maintenance, lube oil and filter, brakes (once), and a water pump. I've decided to put some money into paint and new carpet etc. and just keep driving it.

Good Jeep!
By Antoine on 08/07/10 15:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV

My Jeep was given to me for my 17th birthday present, I like it a whole lot, accept for the low gas mileage, and the rough ride. My o2 sensors went out and I needed a new caddy converter. One more thing is my seats are beginning to squeak a lot but other than those its a fun car!

The Jeep Thing
By Jeep_Florida on 02/25/10 12:32 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it in 2008 and has 112k miles and i`m tge 2nd owner,never used 4 off- road,4.0,4x4,5 speed(oh yeah i want to change gear when i want to),MPG- 19 city,24 highway at 70 mph,20 towing a u- haul tralier.Never had any major repairs i replaced the shocks,breaks,all fluids,wiper blades,installed a cd player and also new speakers with amp all on weekends...grab a beer and save money doing that 4 fun.Easy to work on,fun to drive,to park,lot of space inside,best suv for the money.If u want to save money on gas ride a bicycle...want a smooth ride buy a BMW,but the JEEP is the way to go everywhere.

Like the Energizer bunny, it keeps going
By jeep4ever@puertorico on 02/15/10 18:52 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV

Always wanted a Cherokee since high school and it came true about 7 years ago. Bought it with 60,000, in RED no less and with the 4.0. Picked a 2wd (less weight/better fuel econ). Repairs have been few: water pump;radiator;gas pump;starter. Take good care of it and it will last forever!

war wagon
By sapper2002 on 10/01/09 02:46 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased jeep when I joined the army. I really didn't care for it at first but figured I needed a 4x4 for the colorado winters, after I really abused it off road over and over again I fell in love with it now I will never get rid of it. I have put 180,000 hard miles on it with no major repairs. I actually feel bad for the way I treated it because it never let me down. Has good power and great 4x4 going places where my buddies lifted trucks cant or end up high centered. Still cant figure out why they ended it. Not very smart.

Loved mine!
By spencer Millsap on 08/19/09 13:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my jeep back in 2002 with 90k miles ALREADY on it! I just got rid of it at 205k miles to get a new Jeep Patriot 4x4. Awesome transition. I loved my Jeep, super dependable, great 4x4 performance, perfect cargo space, etc. Had to deal with water pumps, radiators, catalytic converters, and all other wear and tear of the car, but it lasted me 205k miles and it is STILL running strong. Go get one with low miles if you can find one

Great Vehicle!!
By Solid Beuaty on 08/03/09 21:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

156K+ miles and she is solid and strong. I am very pleased with the reliability of this truck (former honda, vw, nissan driver), and try to maintian the basic services, oil changes, ect. 20.5mpg +/- 0.7 on 87 Octane. One minor problem with the wiring rubbing under the Power Distribution box, which affected the aux electric cooling fan, but following a $100 repair, she has required no other expenses. Strong recommendation as a sturdy no frills vehicle. Driven every day in AZ heat 110+ with no overheating.

1 2 3 4 5 next »